Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] Bringing Out the Dead - Underplayed Cards

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Re: [Discussion] Bringing Out the Dead - Underplayed Cards

Agreed with Evil Roopey. Waylay is a freaking monster. I've been running it in RGW Survival Sideboard, as not only does it sweep some serious Goblins/Mongeese off the board, it's also a decent assault for six with Anger in the graveyard.

Sword of Light and Shadow's one of the most underappreciated cards I can think of, also. (Everyone loves Jitte and SoFI, but nobody likes SoLS) Protection from White and Black stops a huge portion of creature removal in the format (Stick it on a Silver Knight and rock house) The Lifegain's a minimal effect, as Loxodon Warhammer's far better for that, but the returning of a creature can be very useful if you're running things like Kami of Ancient Law, Mogg Fanatic, and so forth. I think it falls victim to not having an established deck for it.

Psychic Purge is fun too. It's one blue to zap a Lackey, Confidant, Lavamancer, and so forth. And if it gets Hymned out of your hand, the look on your opponent's face is worth far more than the 5 life they'll lose.

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

Re: Discussion: Bringing Out the Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher487
    I used to play it in Survival (Both FEB and CSJ) It was really good for the random surprise. The big thing is that it protects a permenant that you control so even though it looks narrow it does nail down alot of stuff especially in alot of the un-conventual matchups. (ie. Solidarity, Rifter, and Burn.)
    How is Avoid Fate going to help against Rifter? They cycle most cards they have, and the only treads you really want to counter (Humility and Lightning Rift) can't be countered with it. The fact it counters instants is rather sweet I think.
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

I aim to misbehave

Sep 2005
    NYC...ish.

I don't think Avoid Fate is really all that great. It's cool that Green's got a counterspell and everything, but so what? I don't care what deck you're playing against, if they pack red they pack medium to insane amounts creature kill. So you've countered a Lightning bolt. Great. They ahve so many more ways to deal with it,a nd you've just dealt with one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    A "limited player" is a player with a mental handicap and is thus "limited"
    A "legacy player" is an old player that may or may not be senile.

Both require the use of diapers.

Old School
    Jan 2004
    Rotterdam, NY otherwise known as the 1.5 Capital

Quote Originally Posted by atwa2002
    How is Avoid Fate going to help against Rifter? They cycle most cards they have, and the only treads you really want to counter (Humility and Lightning Rift) can't be countered with it. The fact it counters instants is rather sweet I think.
    Well I just re-looked up Avoid Fate and now it counters just Instants and Auras. (BOOO)

In FEB I ran 4 counters and 6 Discards spells on top of 3 Avoid Fates in the board. Now while it didn't allow me to take out thier bigger threats, I at least had a trick up my sleeve for when I went to win.
    Mythic Rogue Deck Builder
    Team Freshly Baked Crayons
    Team Albany

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I've been re-using Gueirilla Tactics to deal with the hymns out of Deadguy ale and it's been pretty fun.

Dismantling Blow has been useful again also for dealing with Rifter. Thresh has the colors and the mana to pull it off usually.

I'm surprised propaganda hasn't made a comeback since goblins has a hard time with something like that.

Jun 2005
    Michigan

One card that I think is underplayed is Maze of Ith. Too bad its a horrible card with Wasteland running around and doesn't tap for mana.
    Belcher, RUG Delver, Death & Taxes, Colorless Eldrazi, Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose
    Fuck you ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai
    I'm surprised propaganda hasn't made a comeback since goblins has a hard time with something like that.
    Propaganda can't deal with Goblins. It comes down to late and only delays them a little, and it can be REB'd. Where Wrath of God just stops them far better and even Shackles is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher487
    Well I just re-looked up Avoid Fate and now it counters just Instants and Auras. (BOOO)

In FEB I ran 4 counters and 6 Discards spells on top of 3 Avoid Fates in the board. Now while it didn't allow me to take out thier bigger threats, I at least had a trick up my sleeve for when I went to win.
    What else were you using it counter? It never could counter a Lightning Rift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai
    I've been re-using Gueirilla Tactics to deal with the hymns out of Deadguy ale and it's been pretty fun.
    I did that with a Dodecapod last night. Good Times.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
    One card that I think is underplayed is Maze of Ith. Too bad its a horrible card with Wasteland running around and doesn't tap for mana.
    But it's absolutely freaking incredible if your opponent's running Umezawa's Jitte.

...As I found out from being on the Umezawa's Jitte end. Repeatedly.

Jun 2005
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    But it's absolutely freaking incredible if your opponent's running Umezawa's Jitte.

...As I found out from being on the Umezawa's Jitte end. Repeatedly.
    Maze of Ith is also great to have after you Wrath of God your opponents creatures away. Its nearly impossible for them to build up a game winning army again.

...As I found out by having my creatures WOGed and Mazed. Repeatedly.
    Belcher, RUG Delver, Death & Taxes, Colorless Eldrazi, Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose
    Fuck you ^_^

Apr 2006
    Worcester/Boston, MA

Psychic Purge is fun too. It's one blue to zap a Lackey, Confidant, Lavamancer, and so forth. And if it gets Hymned out of your hand, the look on your opponent's face is worth far more than the 5 life they'll lose.
    I've actually been using it in a Monoblue Aggroish deck for awhile, and it's been pretty good.

One I would say is underplayed is Teferi's Response. With so many Wastelands in the format, this saves a land and draws two.

Another, maybe, Drop of Honey?

I aim to misbehave

Sep 2005
    NYC...ish.

I would think that Blood Moon or Back to Basics or some sweeping non basic hate would be big in Legacy, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    A "limited player" is a player with a mental handicap and is thus "limited"
    A "legacy player" is an old player that may or may not be senile.

Both require the use of diapers.

Apr 2006
    Worcester/Boston, MA

Yes, Blood Moon is definitely an effective card; the lack of play is probably due to the lack of red control? At the least it should be seeing more play in Rifter SB.

Nebuchadnezzar - Therapy on a stick? Maybe good in some kind of Tog Control?

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Disrupt is very underplayed.

I mainly use it as a SB card, especially in any Fish builds. I bring it in to great effect vs Burn, Homebrew, Solidarity, and to some success vs Rifter and Thresh. It's just ridiculous.

And I agree that Psychic Purge is underplayed. It is difficult to run, however, as it seems narrow at first (a SB card vs Homebrew and random Black decks) but then again, it kills Lackey and other relevant x/1 creatures, and adds a bit (admittedly not much, but a bit) of reach to Blue. This is confusing enough to convince anyone to just turn away from it
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Nov 2004
    Missouri

Stunted Growth
    Ice Age rare
    3GG
    Card Type: Sorcery

Rules Text (Oracle): Target player chooses three cards from his or her hand and puts them on top of his or her library in any order.

I've been thinking of trying to use this card, but I'm not sure if I'd be better off with Plowed Under.

Also, I've been looking at Natural Balance; seems it might have potential.

Mariah Carey Unicorn
    Feb 2005
    Rochester, NY

Candelara of Tawnos. It seems so good, but I can't find a way to break . The trouble is finding repeated ways to untap it. So far I had come up with the rather card intensive Echoing Truth+Helm of Awakening+Bubbling Muck+Candelabra of Tawnos.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I'm gonna bang noobslayer's sister. Then I'm gonna do it again.
    How come it needs to be a holiday to bang noobslayer's sister?
    Quote Originally Posted by URABAHN View Post
    So, we should call it Peter, Paul, and Mary? Or we're supposed to go outside and start sucking dick?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Candelabra of Tawnos+Bubbling Muck+Tendrils of Agony=beginnings of a combo deck

Apr 2006
    Worcester/Boston, MA

Or just a High Tide deck, also including some untappers?

Banned
    Sep 2004
    fairfax VA

AnwarA101 tried it in Spring tide.

A lot of cards in this thread are reactive, like Avoid Fate, Arboria, etc, but a card I think could be powerful in the format and is a proactive card is Yawgmoth's Agenda. In fact, I'm now on an unofficial quest to break it.
    Also, it has Yawgmoth in its name - statistics state it should be broken!

Thread Information