Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] Bringing Out the Dead - Underplayed Cards

Re: [Discussion] Bringing Out the Dead - Underplayed Cards

The single-most underplayed card in the format is Winter Orb. It hoses a lot of decks.
    KIDS WITH GUNS!

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Winter Orb is indeed, awesome, but when its coming out of the SB to screw over 100%, purely-control-devoted control decks. Which is... what 3, maybe 4, decks in the format? And you probably need to count TrainWreck.dec in that (I'm not digging at TrainWreck, in fact I love it, but its not part of many testing gauntlets yet, despite its showing in that major t8).

Winter Orb is a staple in my sideboards, but it really can only go MD in a deck designed to abuse it. And such decks are few and far between, and of those decks, ones that work are just diamonds in the rough. I spent ages on a winter orb deck (my CaNGD II submission: http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3386 ) and it still didnt turn out to be that awesome ().

The point is, Winter Orb is good, but really not MD material
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Winter is coming...
    Dec 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend
    The point is, Winter Orb is good, but really not MD material
    Agreed. Way too many Goblins and Thresh running around to maindeck Orb.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoojo
    Stunted Growth
    Ice Age rare
    3GG
    Card Type: Sorcery

Rules Text (Oracle): Target player chooses three cards from his or her hand and puts them on top of his or her library in any order.

I've been thinking of trying to use this card, but I'm not sure if I'd be better off with Plowed Under.

Also, I've been looking at Natural Balance; seems it might have potential.
    This is a fun card from way back, but I think it's just a worse, slightly faster Fugue. Plow Under sets them much further back, since they had to pay the resources (land drops) for the cards they're putting back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Krosan Grip and Sudden Shock are ridiculously underplayed at the moment. Pick them up people.
    Now playing real formats.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by bane_of_the_living View Post
    Krosan Grip and Sudden Shock are ridiculously underplayed at the moment. Pick them up people.
    Could you explain me why you'd want to play Sudden Shock in this format? I mean, sure, it kills Mogg Fanatic without you taking 1, but that appears to be pretty much the only widely played card, against with it's better than the burn-spells. One has to always remember that the quality of specifically, burn, counters and removal in general is many times higher in Legacy than in other formats, while creatures are about the same, so for 'em to be worth it, they need to be really incredibly pushed like Lightning Helix or Magma Jet. I mean, not many spells cards can match Lightning Bolt or even Chain Lightning in terms of pure efficiency.

Banned

Aug 2006
    San Diego

Card Name: Plains
    Card type: Basic Land
    Oracle text: Tap add one white mana to your mana pool. (This is a mana ability.)

Way under played.

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Could you explain me why you'd want to play Sudden Shock in this format? I mean, sure, it kills Mogg Fanatic without you taking 1, but that appears to be pretty much the only widely played card, against with it's better than the burn-spells. One has to always remember that the quality of specifically, burn, counters and removal in general is many times higher in Legacy than in other formats, while creatures are about the same, so for 'em to be worth it, they need to be really incredibly pushed like Lightning Helix or Magma Jet. I mean, not many spells cards can match Lightning Bolt or even Chain Lightning in terms of pure efficiency.
    Well, it kills Meddling Mage. Thats a huge reason. Also Wild Mongrel, Basking Rootwalla, Nantuko Shade, Psychatog, un-threshed Werebears, and it still takes out all the goblins just the same as jet does but if you aim this one at Siege Gang he wont be hucking goblins at you.
    Now playing real formats.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Sudden Shock I expect to scare off a lot of decks by itself. Kind of like the effect Pithing Needle has on Survival Decks. Sure, Survival get's shut down by the card, but Survival is still super powerful for the format.

Think about that and then realize Sudden shocks kills damned near every single typical control deck kill card there is. Morphling (situationaly), Pychatog, Rainbow Efreet? Fah.. They are nothing to it.

I expect Krosan Grip one will see more play though, just because people like efficiency and Sudden shock really doesn't have that for the mana. The Green one can wipe a Disc, shackles, Keg, Deed, and all kinds of board sweeping goodness in one hit with no problems. There's something to be said for that.

Avoid Fate has it's uses, but I think it'll sit in extended more than anywhere. I am glad to see it in standard since it got a renewed use though.

I am actually predicting Pox to make a serious comeback too. Everyone can see that synergy. Smallpox is amazing, no one can argue with that. 2 black to do all that? Yeah, that's good. I tried replacing Sinkholes with Smallpox in a couple decks to try it out and I love it. Especially, if you have the Flagstones to support your scrublands.

I am surprised no one is using Scrying Sheets as a small engine in mono color decks though. It's sick in standard and should at least be half decent in Legacy. All you have to do is make yourself vulnerable to the unplayed Icequake. lol If there was a mono-blue control deck in Legacy that could hold it's own, I'd try to jam them in.

and I still say Land Equilibrium can make something damnit.

The Abyss, Moat, Gradza's Assassin, Promise of Power (in Train Wreak)
    [3. LocalDefense]: English is under attack!

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Let's see...

It hits Sakura Tribe Elder, Nantuo Shade, Wild Mongrel, Basking Rootwalla, Viridian Zealot, more with the Sariface this creature if you get priority.

As for Krosan Grip, this is my one main reason to run this card: it hits Aluren.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Anti~American4621 View Post
    Let's see...

It hits Sakura Tribe Elder, Nantuo Shade, Wild Mongrel, Basking Rootwalla, Viridian Zealot, more with the Sariface this creature if you get priority.
    I'll give you Steve (why would you ever want to spend turn 2 Shocking Steve though?), but if opponent has a target for Zealot he needs to destroy, he'll do so with his priority after he has cast it and if you only play the target afterwards, anything will do. Nantuko Shade will rarely be able to outgrow a Bolt and Rootwalla dies to a Bolt too. Mongrel you're right about, it just doesn't appear to see play in any relevant decks. It just doesn't seem like there're real reasons to play it over 8-Bolt plan here unless your metagame consists of 20% Madness, and really, not even then, since it costs more and doesn't go to the dome as effectively when you need to finish it. I guess, somewhere, there may be some deck that could consider them in addition to the 8 Bolts, but if there is, I haven't seen it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti~American4621 View Post
    As for Krosan Grip, this is my one main reason to run this card: it hits Aluren.
    For Grip, I agree. Although, my #1 reasoning is Jitte. Rather not have the counters come off, and if opponent uses the counters immediately, I'll have much easier time killing the equipped creature. But yea, Grip is great.

Crypt dies to Grip. In Thres, that's pretty awesome.
    [3. LocalDefense]: English is under attack!

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Krosan Grip hits Crypts too. What I like about the split second stuff is making the opponent THINK you have it. I think I may leave my sideboard face-up with Krosan Grip on top the next time I have it in there. Then, perhaps I will count out the three mana rather obviously without it in my hand. I may even ask the opponent how many counters are on the Jitte and ask who has priority. This could get fun.

EDIT: yeah, what Eldariel said.

Whatever

Mar 2006
    L'Aquila, Italy

Grip hoses counterspells... that's enough for me!

top 10 most underused cards in legacy
    1. lotus petal
    2. goblin welder
    3. enlightened tutor
    4. transmute artifact
    5. berserk
    6. tangle wire
    7. natural order
    8. pyroclasm
    9. shadow of doubt
    10. fact or fiction

(imho)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    The fairly obvious flaw in your reasoning is that Dark Ritual and Wild Cantor do produce mana. Pretending they don't won't change the function of the cards.

monkey
    Aug 2006
    Los Angeles

Main deck Disenchant/Naturalize
    info.ninja

Whatever

Mar 2006
    L'Aquila, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    Main deck Disenchant/Naturalize
    Usually there are a couple of them in the Main, but you can't afford more since often they are dead cards...

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Stifle is the most powerful underplayed card in Legacy right now. I'm still running it as a 4 of in my build of Meat Hooks, and I'm never dissapointed with it. Fishesque decks should start with 4 Stifle, right after 4 FoW IMHO.

That other Stax guy
    Dec 2004
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Elfrago View Post
    Usually there are a couple of them in the Main, but you can't afford more since often they are dead cards...
    And this shows why they are underplayed. Many people believe in this mantra "they only kill artifacts and enchantments so they are dead cards" but there are so many decks out there that play maindeck artifacts or enchantments that in most metagames it could be worth running them maindeck.

Another underplayed card imho is Ancient Tomb. It gives you 2 mana and the drawback is not relevant until you reach your last 2 lifepoints. This card is so good I almost like it more than Workshop :)
    "Anybody want some . . . toast?" —Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Thread Information