Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: How Humility Works

Re: How Humility Works

Quote Originally Posted by Zhukai View Post
    How does Humility work with the Evoke and Champion abilities? I would think with evoke the creature wouldn't have the ability it normally would but would still end up being sacrificed. No clue how Champion would work.
    702.71a. Evoke represents two abilities: a static ability that functions in any zone from which the card with evoke can be cast and a triggered ability that functions on the battlefield. "Evoke [cost]" means "You may cast this card by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost" and "When this permanent enters the battlefield, if its evoke cost was paid, its controller sacrifices it."

No abilities, no sacrifice trigger.

702.69a. Champion represents two triggered abilities. "Champion an [object]" means "When this permanent enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you exile another [object] you control" and "When this permanent leaves the battlefield, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control."

No abilities, no exile trigger.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

May 2007
    Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by Nonex View Post
    It was indestructible with Dark Depths' original wording. Now it isn't.
    So, with Dark Depths' new wording, I could cast Snakeform on it and block it with a 2/2 creature and it would die?

If this is true, when was the oracle text on Dark Depths changed?

Nov 2008
    Tampere, Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    So, with Dark Depths' new wording, I could cast Snakeform on it and block it with a 2/2 creature and it would die?

If this is true, when was the oracle text on Dark Depths changed?
    It's true, and it changed when Worldwake came out: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...ure/75b&page=2
    Level 2 Judge

May 2007
    Penn State

Thanks for the answer. I guess I should read the mothership articles a little more...

Journeyman
    Jan 2007
    In the forest

It's not really a question, but rather an answer to a question that might show up soon:

Yes, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre is a creature-based answer to Humility (the 1st one I know of).

When you cast Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, destroy target permanent.
    You can use this to get rid of Humility, because the ability triggers while the spell is on the stack. Humility only affects creatures, i.e. permanents on the battlefield.
    "My sky is darker than thine!"
    SENTENCED - 1993

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

I don't consider an 11 drop an answser to humility but yes the way its worded it says when its cast destroy, target permanent.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

If I have Humility and Dryad Arbor in play, does Dryad Arbor still make mana? PLEASE HELP!!!

Timmy-Spike-Melvin . . . . . Level 2 Judge

Dec 2009
    Vienna, Austria

With Humility on the battlefield, Dryad Arbor is a 1/1 Land Creature - Forest Dryad. It is green, but has neither the "~ is green" nor the mana-ability.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I am not sure about this one, so might as well ask:

My opponent has The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale and I have a Humility on the field. I also have a couple of creatures in play. Do these creatures have upkeep: or does Humility remove that clause from creatures?

Thanks!
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Nov 2008
    Tampere, Finland

The Tabernacle gives creatures the ability, and Humility tries to take it away. Because both effects are in the same layer (and there's no dependency), they are applied in timestamp order. Whichever entered the battlefield last wins.
    Level 2 Judge

The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    Legendary Land
    All creatures have "At the beginning of your upkeep, destroy this creature unless you pay 1."
    Tabernacle is an ability-adding effect and Humility is an ability-removing effect, both of which apply in layer 6. Since they're in the same layer, the order they're applied is based on timestamps.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Alright RISE OF THE ELDRAZI time. Humility + level up creatures. What happens?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

The level up creatures will be 1/1 with no abilities, whether they have level counter on them or not.

Plus, you cannot level them up anymore.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    The level up creatures will be 1/1 with no abilities, whether they have level counter on them or not.

Plus, you cannot level them up anymore.
    are you sure??? i just found this in the official rules:

* Effects that set a leveler's power or toughness to a specific value, including the effects from a level symbol's ability, apply in timestamp order. The timestamp of each level symbol's ability is the same as the timestamp of the leveler itself, regardless of when the most recent level counter was put on it. For example, say Coralhelm Commander is on the battlefield, then Godhead of Awe, which says "Other creatures are 1/1," enters the battlefield. After the second level counter is put on Coralhelm Commander, it will be 1/1 (not 3/3) and have flying, because Godhead of Awe's ability applies last. (If Godhead of Awe entered the battlefield before Coralhelm Commander, on the other hand, then the Commander's ability would apply last and it would be 3/3.)

710.2. A level symbol is a keyword ability that represents a static ability. The level symbol includes either a range of numbers, indicated here as "N1-N2," or a single number followed by a plus sign, indicated here as "N3+." Any abilities printed within the same text box striation as a level symbol are part of its static ability. The same is true of the power/toughness box printed within that striation, indicated here as "[P/T]."

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Wow, I guess I am wrong.

Good find!
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Quote Originally Posted by RexFTW View Post
    are you sure??? i just found this in the official rules:

* Effects that set a leveler's power or toughness to a specific value, including the effects from a level symbol's ability, apply in timestamp order. The timestamp of each level symbol's ability is the same as the timestamp of the leveler itself, regardless of when the most recent level counter was put on it. For example, say Coralhelm Commander is on the battlefield, then Godhead of Awe, which says "Other creatures are 1/1," enters the battlefield. After the second level counter is put on Coralhelm Commander, it will be 1/1 (not 3/3) and have flying, because Godhead of Awe's ability applies last. (If Godhead of Awe entered the battlefield before Coralhelm Commander, on the other hand, then the Commander's ability would apply last and it would be 3/3.)

710.2. A level symbol is a keyword ability that represents a static ability. The level symbol includes either a range of numbers, indicated here as "N1-N2," or a single number followed by a plus sign, indicated here as "N3+." Any abilities printed within the same text box striation as a level symbol are part of its static ability. The same is true of the power/toughness box printed within that striation, indicated here as "[P/T]."
    So levelers will always be 1/1 after humility dropped.

If you have a leveler on the table, with level counters, before humility hits, humility will have the most recent timestamp thereby making it 1/1.
    If you play a leveler, with humility already on the table, it will not have the level up ability and therefore cannot gain level counters.
    Last edited by hjalte; 05-12-2010 at 02:51 AM. Reason: shitty spelling and punctuation corrected...

Timmy-Spike-Melvin . . . . . Level 2 Judge

Dec 2009
    Vienna, Austria

Quote Originally Posted by hjalte View Post
    So levelers will always be 1/1 after humility dropped.

If you have a leveler on the table, with level counters, before humility hits, humility will have the most recent timestamp thereby making it 1/1.
    If you play a leveler, with humility already on the table, it will not have the level up ability and therefore cannot gain level counters.
    You are right, BUT: if there is a humility on the battlefield, then you play a leveler creature and somehow manage to put some level counter on it (leech bonder) it will have the apropriate power/toughness and abilities, but not the level up ability nor any "level 0" abilities

edit: leech bonder wont work, because of humility, instead, imagine humility is phased out, you play the leveler and activate the level up ability some times. Or any other hypothethical way, involving 4+ cards, where humility has an earlier timestamp than the leveler creature and it gets some counter.
    Last edited by dorsch; 05-12-2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: leech bonder

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

But Leech Bonder won't have the ability that lets you switch.

Ok, another tough one. My opponent plays Show and tell. He puts terastadon into play and I put humility into play. Does terastadon's come into play trigger happen?

Obviously it would not trigger if humility were already in play.

Journeyman
    Jan 2007
    In the forest

Quote Originally Posted by RexFTW View Post
    Does terastadon's come into play trigger happen?
    No, it doesn't.

603.6a. Enters-the-battlefield abilities trigger when a permanent enters the battlefield. These are written, "When [this object] enters the battlefield, . . . " or "Whenever a [type] enters the battlefield, . . ." Each time an event puts one or more permanents onto the battlefield, all permanents on the battlefield (including the newcomers) are checked for any enters-the-battlefield triggers that match the event.
    Show and Tell puts both permanents onto the battlefield at the same time. This means there is never a moment when Terastodon actually has its abilities, so it can never trigger.
    "My sky is darker than thine!"
    SENTENCED - 1993

Thread Information