Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: How Humility Works

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Re: How Humility Works

This is a question that keeps popping up in my match against hypergenesis because I always draw my singleton Humility when he cascades Hypergenesis:

(Hypergenesis is green.

Suspend 3-{1}{G}{G} (Rather than cast this card from your hand, pay {1}{G}{G} and exile it with three time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter. When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost.)

Starting with you, each player may put an artifact, creature, enchantment, or land card from his or her hand onto the battlefield. Repeat this process until no one puts a card onto the battlefield.)

Relevant rulings for hypergenesis for this question:
    10/15/2006: Anything that triggers during the resolution of this will wait to be put on the stack until everything is put onto the battlefield and resolution is complete. The player whose turn it is will put all of his or her triggered abilities on the stack in any order, then each other player in turn order will do the same. (The last ability put on the stack will be the first one that resolves.)

Show and Tell + Humility + Terrastadon would work in the following way I believe:
    Each player puts Humility/Terrastadon simultaneously into play, therefore Terrastadon loses its CiP ability.

However, with Hypergenesis instead of Show and Tell, which says that starting from the active player and followed by the other player, you put things into play in an order (rather than simultaenously), my question is would Terrastadon be able to destroy Humility when:

Player A plays Hypergensis and starts off putting Terrastadon.
    Player B puts in Humility.

If I am correct, the following occurs:
    - Hypergensis is put on a stack and the sequence follows: Player A puts Terrastadon in play, Player B puts Humility in play in that order.
    - Hypergenesis now resolves and all these objects are put into play in the order above.
    - Terrastadon comes into play, but Humility isn't in play yet, so it can't blow it up.

Or does it go:
    - Terrastadon comes into play
    - Terrastadon's trigger on stack
    - Humility comes into play
    - Terrastadon trigger resolves hitting Humility.

If Player A puts Progenitus, Player B puts Humility, and Player A puts Terrastadon, then Player A still should not be able to destroy humility right? because:
    - Progenitus comes into play
    - Terrastadon comes into play losing its CiP ability.
    Last edited by GGoober; 09-20-2010 at 04:35 PM.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Double posting because this is relevant to the first post: Basically the situation above may boil down to this scenario:

Player A: Casts Terrastadon trigger on stack (no targets chosen)
    Player B: Casts Humility at instant speed (say with blue Leyline)

Therefore, the orders are:
    Terrastadon in play.
    Terrastadon trigger on stack.
    Humility in play.
    Terrastadon trigger resolves/doesn't resolve.

Can Player A still hit Humility? Does the Hypergenesis + Terrastadon + Humility issue boil down to this scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by crz87 View Post
    Show and Tell + Humility + Terrastadon would work in the following way I believe:
    Each player puts Humility/Terrastadon simultaneously into play, therefore Terrastadon loses its CiP ability.

However, with Hypergenesis instead of Show and Tell, which says that starting from the active player and followed by the other player, you put things into play in an order (rather than simultaenously), my question is would Terrastadon be able to destroy Humility when:

Player A plays Hypergensis and starts off putting Terrastadon.
    Player B puts in Humility.

If I am correct, the following occurs:
    - Hypergensis is put on a stack and the sequence follows: Player A puts Terrastadon in play, Player B puts Humility in play in that order.
    - Hypergenesis now resolves and all these objects are put into play in the order above.
    - Terrastadon comes into play, but Humility isn't in play yet, so it can't blow it up.

Or does it go:
    - Terrastadon comes into play
    - Terrastadon's trigger on stack
    - Terrastadon trigger resolves hitting Humility.

If Player A puts Progenitus, Player B puts Humility, and Player A puts Terrastadon, then Player A still should not be able to destroy humility right? because:
    - Progenitus comes into play
    - Terrastadon comes into play losing its CiP ability.
    You quoted an explanation of the right rule (there are no rulings, only rules, despite what Gatherer still calls them), but you are not correct.

Hypergenesis
    Sorcery
    Hypergenesis is green.
    Suspend 3--1GG
    Starting with you, each player may put an artifact, creature, enchantment, or land card from his or her hand onto the battlefield. Repeat this process until no one puts a card onto the battlefield.

Read Hypergenesis - each permanent comes into play as it is chosen. Permanents with ETB triggers will trigger, but triggers aren't put onto the stack until someone would get priority. No one gets priority while a spell is resolving.

If you put Terastadon into play and then your opponent puts Humility into play, when Hypergensis is done resolving Terastadon's ability will be put on the stack and you choose targets for it, which can include Humility.

If your opponent puts Humility into play and then you put Terastadon into play, Terastadon won't trigger since it has no abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by crz87 View Post
    Double posting because this is relevant to the first post: Basically the situation above may boil down to this scenario:

Player A: Casts Terrastadon trigger on stack (no targets chosen)
    Player B: Casts Humility at instant speed (say with blue Leyline)

Therefore, the orders are:
    Terrastadon in play.
    Terrastadon trigger on stack.
    Humility in play.
    Terrastadon trigger resolves/doesn't resolve.

Can Player A still hit Humility? Does the Hypergenesis + Terrastadon + Humility issue boil down to this scenario?
    If Terastadon's trigger has triggered, it's triggered - removing abilities from Terastadon doesn't change anything.

This example is not a very good analogue of Hypergensis, since in this example people are getting priority so the trigger is both triggering and going on the stack.
    Last edited by cdr; 09-20-2010 at 10:35 PM.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

I got you thanks cdr but a little last confusion, using your answer and that priority is not passed until a spell is resolving. If you said:

If you put Terastadon into play and then your opponent puts Humility into play, when Hypergensis is done resolving Terastadon's ability will be put on the stack and you choose targets for it, which can include Humility.
    But if it's mentioned in this way, it sounds as if the abilities are put on the stack after the spell is resolved, and Terastadon's ability on the stack can target Humility (which is in play). Then why would the next situation not work?

If your opponent puts Humility into play and then you put Terastadon into play, Terastadon won't trigger since it has no abilities.
    Since given the same argument, abilities are put on the stack after the spell is resolved.

In BOTH situations, it seems that the abilities are put on the stack AFTER spell is resolved AND BOTH Humility and Terrastadon are in play. It seems that it's still the order on whether Terrastadon/Humility came first that changes the outcome. But if abilities are put on the stack AFTER spell is resolved, it shouldn't matter whichever came into play first since regardless of the situation, the ability is still put on the stack upon resolution of the spell.

Just a little lost on this one, but otherwise it makes sense to me.

Again, there are two parts to it - the ability triggering, and the ability being put on the stack. They are not the same thing.

An ability will trigger when its condition is met (like something entering the battlefield). That trigger now exists, but waits to be put on the stack until the next time someone gets priority.

If Terastadon enters the battlefield first, Terastadon's ability has already triggered, so the Humility is irrelevant. If Humility enters the battlefield first, Terastadon has no abilities when it enters the battlefield.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Order of the Ebon Hand gets there...pro Swords...take 2...
    Jun 2008
    Iowa

I just want to verify the interaction with Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...1&d=1295333654:
    If I -1 Tezzeret on an artifact, it will be a 5/5. Then, if Humility enters the battlefield, it will be a 1/1 (with no abilities obviously).
    HOWEVER, If Humility is on the battlefield and then Tezzeret's -1 is applied, the creature will be a 5/5 (still with no abilities, obviously).
    This is one of those setting P/T based on time stamp situations, Correct?
    Last edited by Jason; 01-25-2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Added link to Tezz
    End of turn...Morphling

Quote Originally Posted by AriLax View Post
    Brainstorm is only useful in certain situations? Brainstorm is useful when you hand is not the stone cold nutter butter blade Ranchington Q. Farnsworth Esquire best. When Brainstorm is "dead", the game is already over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ectoplasm View Post
    I heard Bryant Cook once set fire to his opponent's face for playing a Rule of Law.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    It's impressive the amount of effort you put into telling a story that actually makes you look much worse than the idiot.
    Team OMRIAIGTWYFEWARTCAE

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I just want to verify the interaction with Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...1&d=1295333654:
    If I -1 Tezzeret on an artifact, it will be a 5/5. Then, if Humility enters the battlefield, it will be a 1/1 (with no abilities obviously).
    HOWEVER, If Humility is on the battlefield and then Tezzeret's -1 is applied, the creature will be a 5/5 (still with no abilities, obviously).
    This is one of those setting P/T based on time stamp situations, Correct?
    Correct.
    -David DeLaney

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

If I have already have Humility in play, then I play Thopter Foundry and Sword of the Meek, and then start activating my Foundry by sacrificing my Sword, do I just get 1/1 guys or 1/1 flying guys?

Journeyman
    Jan 2007
    In the forest

They won't have Flying.

613.1. The values of an object's characteristics are determined by starting with the actual object. For a card, that means the values of the characteristics printed on that card. For a token or a copy of a spell or card, that means the values of the characteristics defined by the effect that created it. Then all applicable continuous effects are applied in a series of layers in the following order:
    613.1f. Layer 6: Ability-adding and ability-removing effects are applied.
    "My sky is darker than thine!"
    SENTENCED - 1993

Just to make sure, this makes all Equipment with Living Weapon better, right? They produce either 0/1 or 0/1 Germ tokens to carry them, so Humility changes the Germ tokens to 1/1's, while the equipment still grants the abilities, correct? I'm just testing my knowledge, as I'm about to start playing a G/W casual Enchantress deck with Humility in it. As far as I can tell:

7a: Germ is set at 0/0 or 0/1
    7b: Humility sets Germ P/T to 1/1
    7c: P/T adjustments given by the equipment

And I know that the abilities granted by the equipment work on a timestamp basis, as per:

613.6d If an Aura, Equipment, or Fortification becomes attached to an object or player, the Aura, Equipment, or Fortification receives a new timestamp at that time.

Just confirming that I'm not crazy. :)

Journeyman
    Jan 2007
    In the forest

Quote Originally Posted by Bayentethene View Post
    Just to make sure, this makes all Equipment with Living Weapon better, right? They produce either 0/1 or 0/1 Germ tokens to carry them, so Humility changes the Germ tokens to 1/1's, while the equipment still grants the abilities, correct?
    Basically yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayentethene View Post
    And I know that the abilities granted by the equipment work on a timestamp basis, as per:

613.6d If an Aura, Equipment, or Fortification becomes attached to an object or player, the Aura, Equipment, or Fortification receives a new timestamp at that time.
    It's a bit more complicated, but generally equipment works very well with Humility.

An example:

Interaction between Humility and Sword of Fire and Ice.

Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has protection from red and from blue.
    Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, Sword of Fire and Ice deals 2 damage to target creature or player and you draw a card.
    +2/+2
    -> Always works, because it happens in a later layer.

protection from red and from blue
    -> This depends on the timestamps of Humility and equipping, because it belongs to the same layer.

Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, Sword of Fire and Ice deals 2 damage to target creature or player and you draw a card.
    -> Always works, because this is not an ability of the creature, but an ability of the Sword itself.
    "My sky is darker than thine!"
    SENTENCED - 1993

Thanks muchly for the clarification, Taurelin! I've never rocked Humility in a tournament setting before, and want to make sure I'm on top of my game before I get going. :)

Island, go!
    Jun 2009
    Golden Gate Bridge, USA

Does humility shut down cards like Meddling Mage and Phyrexian Revoker?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by hyc8028 View Post
    Does humility shut down cards like Meddling Mage and Phyrexian Revoker?
    Since its an "As it enters the battlefield" ability, you can still name a card, though the following clauses will not take effect.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Island, go!
    Jun 2009
    Golden Gate Bridge, USA

I thought so also, but just to make sure I am correct. Thanks!

Quick question: I know that humility "works" with painter, but does the order in which they're played matter? When one is already on the field, and the other is played, both situations allow for the color-changing effects to happen- right?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by laxkiddan View Post
    Quick question: I know that humility "works" with painter, but does the order in which they're played matter? When one is already on the field, and the other is played, both situations allow for the color-changing effects to happen- right?
    It doesn't matter which one is played first since it has nothing to do with Timestamps but rather with Rules Layering.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

Humility vs Lavaclaw reaches

Layering still gives me serious headache, so ...

Lavaclaw reaches were animated as humility was long in play. Land turned into creature.

What its P/T?

The next step opponent activated pumping ability of animated Lavaclaw reaches. I believe that this land didnt had this ability due Humiliy.

Furthermore I am not sure if it turns back into land at the end of turn, however I just believe this will happen because this ability was sucessfully activated and its last effect will just end upon end of turn.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Under the active Humility, if Lavaclaw Reached was activated to turn into a creature, until the end of turn it would be a 2/2 black and red Elemental with "{X}: This creature gets +X/+0 until end of turn."

This time it had nothing to do with Layering, rather with Time Stamp. Humility has a replacement ability. It replaces all the P/T and abilities of the creatures. Once that's in check, if a creature under an active Humility changes it P/T or gains another ability, it would gain that ability.

In your case, Lavaclaw Reaches wasn't a creature when Humility's ability replacement was in check. It became a creature after that and gained its ability after that. Therefore it retains its P/T and abilities.

The same can be said with artifacts such as Phyrexian Totem or when creatures become targeted by spells such as Vines of Vastwood
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

It would not gain any new abilities. Humility still takes effect prior to the layer that grant those abilities. It would retain its new P/T settings until EOT however.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thread Information