Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: How Humility Works

Re: How Humility Works

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    So, just to clarify on a few things:

1.) Inkmoth Nexus: If I have humility out, and then turn it into a 1/1 flying creature with infect, what will I have after humility is applied?

2.) Same question as above, only for Phyrexian Totem and Thunder Totem? What will they be after humility?

Thank you,

--ABC
    Layers and timestamps.

1) Both effects want to make it a 1/1, so it's a 1/1. The ability-adding effect has a later timestamp than the ability-removing effect (ability-adding and ability-removing are the same layer, 6) so it has flying and infect. It obviously won't have any of its activated abilities while it's a creature.

2) See above, with the addition of the totems having a relevant P/T toughness setting timestamp.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

So does P. Totem maintain its p/t at 5/5 or does it drop to a 1/1? I've always been under the impression that if I activate it after the humility is on the board, it loses its mana ability and it's Negator effect, but maintains the 5/5 and trample. Same with Thunder Totem. Please correct me if I am wrong. I have an important tourney this weekend and I don't want to go unprepared for the rulings.

--ABC

EDIT: Just got it. If P. Totem is a creature at the time Humility is played, it loses all abilities and becomes a 1/1 (does it revert back to a non-creature artifact at eot?). If P. Totem is activated afterwards, it is a 5/5 trampler that loses negator effect and tap for mana effect. Correct?
    Last edited by Secretly.A.Bee; 08-22-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Sudden synapses into understanding...

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Just got it. If P. Totem is a creature at the time Humility is played, it loses all abilities and becomes a 1/1 (does it revert back to a non-creature artifact at eot?). If P. Totem is activated afterwards, it is a 5/5 trampler that loses negator effect and tap for mana effect. Correct?
    Exactly - when effects are in the same layer it goes to timestamps.

The reverting is not an ability of the permanent, but rather a duration on the activated ability ("until end of turn"). Effects with "until end of turn" durations end at the cleanup step at the same time damage is removed (514.2).
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Sweet zombie Jesus...

-ABC

EDIT: cdr, thanks. I think I now fully understand (closet case scenarios aside) Humility. It is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Secretly.A.Bee; 08-23-2012 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Ending my questions, thanks for the help cdr.

I am at SCG Denver sitting in my Motel 6 room upset because of a ruling today from the acting head judge on the exact scenario above.

I had a Humility in play, and played a Phyrexian Totem. I explained to my opponent (real cool guy) how this works in tandem with Humility. Humility was in play first. Then the Totem. Judge gave a final ruling of Phyrexian Totem that doesn't tap for mana, is a 5/5, has trample, and retains the Negator effect. WTF. I need to know rulings or something or I'm boned in the tourney tomorrow. Any and all help is appreciated, especially accurate, swift help.

I'm a little confused as to why it would retain trample and not the negator effect. It's not like it's an activated ability, it's a trait.

I just need to know if the judge is right or for the information to show the judge how it actually is.

Order of the Ebon Hand gets there...pro Swords...take 2...
    Jun 2008
    Iowa

Phyrexian Totem
    T: Add B to your mana pool.
    2B: Phyrexian Totem becomes a 5/5 black Horror artifact creature with trample until end of turn.
    Whenever Phyrexian Totem is dealt damage, if it's a creature, sacrifice that many permanents.

When you activate the Phyrexian Totem under Humility, you set its power and toughness to a 5/5. This activated ability also gives it trample. Thus, under Humility, it is a 5/5 trample. However, unlike the power/toughness setting and the trample, the totem already has the ability to tap for mana and the "Negator effect" - it doesn't gain them from the 2B activation. Thus, it loses those abilities.

End result: 5/5 black Horror artifact creature with trample. Cannot tap for mana. No "Negator effect".
    End of turn...Morphling

Quote Originally Posted by AriLax View Post
    Brainstorm is only useful in certain situations? Brainstorm is useful when you hand is not the stone cold nutter butter blade Ranchington Q. Farnsworth Esquire best. When Brainstorm is "dead", the game is already over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ectoplasm View Post
    I heard Bryant Cook once set fire to his opponent's face for playing a Rule of Law.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    It's impressive the amount of effort you put into telling a story that actually makes you look much worse than the idiot.
    Team OMRIAIGTWYFEWARTCAE

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Humility + Batterskull, is this true or false:

You'll get a 5/5 Germ Token that
    a) has Vigiliance and Lifelink if Batterskull was cast after Humility.
    b) does not have Vigilance or Lifelink if Humility was cast after Batterskull.

Quote Originally Posted by dsck View Post
    Humility + Batterskull, is this true or false:
    True. P/T adding is after P/T setting, ability adding/removing is the same layer.

More specifically, it's whether the Batterskull was equipped before or after Humility - when you equip the Batterskull to something, the effects get a new timestamp.
    -David DeLaney

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

If Humility is in play and I have already played a land, can I play Rock Jockey?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    If Humility is in play and I have already played a land, can I play Rock Jockey?
    No, Rock Jockey only loses its abilities once it's on the battlefield. It still has a casting restriction.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Maga, Traitor to Mortals

Hey there, I have a question about our old friend Humility and Maga, Traitor to Mortals.

If I pay BBB5 to cast Maga, and there is a Humility on board is it correct to understand that Maga will enter the battlefield with 5x +1/+1 counters on it and therefor be 6/6 (due to it no longer being 0/0 but actually 1/1), but that my opponent(s) won't be dealt 5 dmg?

Or does it enter as a meek 1/1 no matter how much mana I spend casting it?

Thanks! :)

Re: Maga, Traitor to Mortals

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    Hey there, I have a question about our old friend Humility and Maga, Traitor to Mortals.

If I pay BBB5 to cast Maga, and there is a Humility on board is it correct to understand that Maga will enter the battlefield with 5x +1/+1 counters on it and therefor be 6/6 (due to it no longer being 0/0 but actually 1/1), but that my opponent(s) won't be dealt 5 dmg?

Or does it enter as a meek 1/1 no matter how much mana I spend casting it?

Thanks! :)
    As you can see, Maga has two abilities - an as-ETB and a when-ETB. As-ETB happens before it enters the battlefield, so Humility is not affecting it at that time. When-ETB happens after it enters the battlefield, so Humility is affecting it at that time. It ETBs with counters, but there is no trigger.
    -David DeLaney

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Barbed Blightning View Post
    Finally, someone mentioned something about humility earlier: it affects all creatures in ALL zones, including your hand, library, graveyard and exile. Emrakul never cycles your library from your yard; GPI can't be cycled to burn a dude. Misthollow Griffin doesn't work with food chain more than once.
    I belive this is not true, but would like a confirmation.
    Thanks.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    I belive this is not true, but would like a confirmation.
    Thanks.
    I am here for the same exact reason. I saw this too. I suspect creatures are defined as being on the battlefield, and that cycling Gempalm Incinerator (as an example) is the effect of a creature card.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Humility
    Enchantment, 2WW
    All creatures lose all abilities and are 1/1.

Creatures are only creatures on the battlefield. In all other zones, they are creature cards. Note the distinction.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

I have a Humility out in play. I then resolve Gideon Jura. Next turn, when I activate his +0 ability, what happens?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I have a Humility out in play. I then resolve Gideon Jura. Next turn, when I activate his +0 ability, what happens?
    6/6, prevent all damage dealt to him. No other abilities.

Gideon Jura's +0 modifies the soon to be animated Gideon's P/T and abilities at a later time stamp than Humility; and so they supercede.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

"Foil is as good as FoW, right?"

Feb 2013

So something i may not understand very well that was mentioned early in this thread (I may be looking at this wrong)(Also here are two scenarios):
    SCENARIO 1:
    I have a 1/3 creature that can switch it's power and toughness
    I switch it's power and toughness. It's now a 3/1.
    My opponents gives it -0/-1.
    It dies.

OR SCENARIO 2:
    Repeat first three steps.
    It does not die because time stamps, and is now a 2/1.

Which is correct?

Thread Information