Thread: [Deck] 5c Eternal Garden

Threaded View

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

[Deck] 5c Eternal Garden

So i'm bored and felt like finally making a topic for this. For the previous discussion and stuff on the deck:

http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showt...?t=3512&page=4

Since the deck is still pretty much the same I'm just going to c/p the list and stuff.

5c Eternal Garden

4 Exploration
    3 Crucible of Worlds

3 Crop Rotation
    4 Intuition
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Nostalgic Dreams
    3 Burning Wish

3 Pithing Needle
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Moat
    2 Pyroclasm

4 Mox Diamond
    1 Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Riftstone Portal
    1 Nomad Stadium
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Cephalid Coliseum
    1 Barbarian Ring
    1 Nantuko Monastery
    4 Taiga
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Plateau
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    3 Rule of Law
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Boil
    1 Hull Breach
    1 Devastating Dreams
    1 Sickening Dreams
    1 Haunting Echoes
    1 Nostalgic Dreams
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Cranial Extraction

Exploration: This deck's primary win condition is through Barbarian Ring recursion. Yes, that does seem a bit weak as the main win condition, but this deck is designed for the long game, where by that time, it wouldn't matter if you won with Mountain Goat. Exploration speeds that win up, as well as everything else up. I guess you can say it's the greatest fucking card ever.

Crucible: The deck's primary resource for winning. No, this deck is not designed around LftL, it is designed around abusing Crucible. I'm not sure I'm in any real need for this explanation really. It's importance is just as great as it is in Turboland.

Crop Rotation: A card that everyone and their mother seemed to miss. However, I did not. In a deck that abuses land like this, the drawback is small. And the reward, is instant-speed Glacial Chasm, Nantuko Monastery, Barbarian Ring, Boseiju(for eot), whatever. Also evades Wasteland. You get the point.

Intuition: The engine of the deck. There are so many outs with this card it's difficult to explain them all. It basically depends on the game-state. If you got the Exploration, get Crucibles and prepare to go nuts quick. Wanna run for the long game? Get the LftL engine ready with Coliseum and Thicket. Goblins got you down? Nab a pair of Moats or Pyroclasms and Nostalgic Dreams or something to wipe them anyway, I dunno. You can do infinate dumb things with this in here.

Life from the Loam: The deck's secondary engine. For this reason, I only run a single copy maindeck. With Intuition and Burning Wish, I have as many of these as I want. You guys know the functionings of the card, so I don't see much need for more explaining here either.

Nostalgic Dreams: It's retardedly dumb with LftL, and I kept one maindeck so I can Intuition for it and 2-ofs. Turns out it works really freaking well.

Burning Wish: Deck's backup plan should something bad happen. Something like Pithing Needle on Barbarian Ring. It gets an alternative win condition in Haunting Echoes, which is the sole reason for the slight black splash in the sideboard because it's the strongest wish target in the format. Also happens to have an incredible toolbox with it.

Pithing Needle: I run these maindeck for the sole reason of stopping Wastelands game1. Decks like Goblins can't do much against a Chasm with Needle in play. Also happens to solve infinate other problems against the deck.

Moat: Dumb? Yes. I chose this over WoG because decks can come back after WoG, like Goblins, but they have a lot more trouble dealing with Moat.

Pyroclasm/StP: No brainers. Deals with creatures, wipes Gobbos board. Just good stuff right there.

Manabase:

Mox Diamond: I run a lot of lands. Diamond happens to work quite nicely in here, considering it's backed by both Crucible and LftL. Oh yeah, pitching Riftstone Portal to it is a lot of fun too.

Tabernacle: I'm debating dropping this slot in favor of another mana producing land, but it does a great job against aggro and can slow down Threshold if they're lame and play the early Goose, which is nice when you back it up with Wastelands.

Boseiju: Omg I love this thing. It was a last-minute addition, and it happens to be my 2nd favorite land in the deck. Uncounterable Intuition, LftL, Burning Wish and wish targets, Amazing.

Glacial Chasm: The reason I built this deck was because of my liking of the Crop Rotation -> Chasm combo. Turns out like 70% of decks in this format can't even deal with this. Threshold? Lol, Threshold. You lose.

Riftstone Portal: I run too many lands that don't add mana, or only colorless mana in a deck that requires colors. Portal is a godsend for this deck and gives those crappy colorless lands a chance to do something good, like cast Explorations and Moats. Also, it's cool to not have Boseiju kill me every time I tap it.

Nomad Stadium/Barbarian Ring: Recursive life gain. Recursive damage. K.

Nantuko Monastery: Win condition to accompany Ring. This does it a bit quicker though. Can also hold the fort on D if necessary.

Tranquil Thicket/Cephalid Coliseum: They draw cards. They enjoy LftL. And Crucible. I only run a single Thicket due to space, but it's really all the deck needs, because once it hits Threshold, Coliseum pretty much does enough for the deck.

Wasteland: Derf.

Dual land config: Yea, no basics, Ow. Whatever. This deck can fight Wasteland with its acceleration, and can dodge it with Crop Rotation. The current config works rather nicely considering the deck's needs. I dunno, I've never really had many color problems with the deck. I suppose a 2nd Bayou could be there for Echoes, but by the time Echoes is cast, there will most likely be a Diamond in play, and if not, I can always add B, waste Bayou, and replay it.

Sideboard:

Naturalize: Only a single due to space, but I have Wish for Breach.
    Rule of Law: One of the stronger answers for the bad combo matchups.
    Tormod's Crypt: Derf.
    Boil: Solidarity was the reason I did poorly at the D4D. Boil houses Solidarity. Nothing says Fuck You like an eot uncounterable Boil.
    Hull Breach: Yeah.
    Haunting Echoes: Yeah. Win condition #2.
    Nostalgic Dreams: Yeah.
    LftL: Yeah.
    Devastating Dreams: It was this or Armageddon, but I liked how this also could wipe the board too.
    Sickening Dreams: Wipes the board if necessary, and also can be used as a win condition like the style of old-school Turbonevyn. Fill up the hand with LftL, have Chasm in play, Dreams for 10-15 no big deal.
    Tsunami: Yeah, Wishable Boil.

Deck Matchups:

UGw Threshold: Pretty easy matchup. This deck has no way of removing Glacial Chasm from play, so they're helpless to the Chasm defense. If you resolve a Moat, that will keep you good long enough to find Chasm. If you resolve Crop Rotation, that's a Chasm. Mage is annoying until StP or Pyroclasm deal with it, and the counters are also annoying, but Rotating a Boseiju is pretty much gg, because then Burning Wish becomes win the damn game. Needles are annoying though, and then graveyard hate is annoying too from the side so keep in Needles.

UGr Threshold: Basically the same as UGw, but they have a shitton of burn, so if they manage some early beats on you they can kill you with a handful of bolts and gay stuff. Oh well, Moat makes them cry and so does Chasm.

Goblins: Another easy matchup. The builds that don't run Wasteland lose to Chasm. Outside that, there are a ton of outs to stopping them, with Moat, StP, and Pyroclasm. Needles hit Port or the pingers or an early Vial, and Tabernacle slows them down for me to get shit goin. The matchup really isn't too hard to win granted you have a brain.

Solidarity: Bad. G1 you basically lose. G2 you have some answers with Rule of Law and Boil, and if you're lucky a Burning Wish -> Cranial, Echoes, or Tsunami.

Iggy Pop: Bad. G1 you basically lose. G2 you have some answers but it's still a tough fight.

Rifter: Pretty easy. They have nothing but dead cards while you can just go retarded.

Those are basically the only matchups worth mentioning really, but in a nutshell the deck smashes everything but combo. I like the maindeck but am debating on some slots, wanna fit in a little more card draw, and I also want to make the sideboard more flexible too. So yeah, ahead with the comments.
    Last edited by Di; 07-03-2006 at 03:26 AM.

Thread Information