Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] 44-card Foom (FFF)

Re: [Deck] 44-card Foom (FFF)

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    I want to see Mind Bomb in some Top 8s. Make it happen folks.
    I'm conflicted about that card. It's terrible design, and yet I like it.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I'm conflicted about that card. It's terrible design, and yet I like it.
    Same here. The card didn't even make sense to me when I was 8 and first opened it. But then it grew on me.

So is it possible to apply a fork-effect to that Mind Bomb somehow :-D

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Good god, Rufus. I love your take. That manabase is all ketchup and no fries - just the way I like it.

Also, I don't think you can use Eidolon and Swiftspear in the same deck.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Good god, Rufus. I love your take. That manabase is all ketchup and no fries - just the way I like it.
    I have no idea what that means.

Counting the Temporal Trespass as a 'freetrip' the list is now down to 41 business cards.

Street Wraith is still available as a deck thinner to bring the list down even further, or could replace Urza's Bauble to make things *marginally* faster.

I'm wondering if there's a better testing program than just goldfishing.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Do you cast the trespass consistently? 3 mana seems a lot for 17 lands, even with all the pseudo-cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Do you cast the trespass consistently? 3 mana seems a lot for 17 lands, even with all the pseudo-cantrips.
    My list has 16 lands, and it seems to work pretty well.

Let's assume, for a moment, that there's no problem playing any of the 16 other cyclers before turn 3. So, on turn 3, on the play you've seen 10 of the 44 non-freetrip cards and have about an 80% chance to have drawn 3 lands, and on the draw it's around 86%. The improvement for going to 17 lands to 86% on the play and 89% on the draw. (I'm not sophisticated enough to have good insight, but it might make sense to tweak the land balance for on the play / on the draw games.)

Mulligans improve the odds a bit as well, but I'm too lazy to go through the math.

Jun 2015
    New Hampshire

The biggest issue with modern burn, and legacy burn (since the lists are so close), is if you have 3 lands you're in bad shape cause you're missing out on dmg cards and you no card draw, but since there are 'cantrips' and manamorphose to generate double blue, the mana restrictions really aren't that gross, and even having 3 lands in your opener isn't as scary. Plus you can do all that main phase if the bauble shows the coast is clear, and then you can play out 1 or 2 baubles, manamorphose, and trespass and have a pretty big swiftspear in play.

Jan 2009
    Farmington, NY

What would be a good alternative to mind bomb? It's not on magic online for some reason…

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
    What would be a good alternative to mind bomb? It's not on magic online for some reason…
    Do you get the baubles? Rift Bolt is probably a superior choice in that slot, really.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Because it's really really bad and pre-Mirage?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Bump in the night? Isn't that better? It's a black bolt and it's not like you're paying blue for probe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Bump in the night? Isn't that better? It's a black bolt and it's not like you're paying blue for probe.
    The problem is that temporal trespass really wants UUU. You could, I suppose, play 5-color lands, but I'm not sure how easy it is to feed delve with that.

with all of these 'free' spells hitting the graveyard, where is Tasigur, or the other delve monsters? you could even keep most of your creatures out of the maindeck, and side into tasigur, or angler. barbarian ring was also mentioned. i think that would be a fantastic addition since you should be able to turn it on fairly easily (although this fights the delve plan so pick one).

that blue delve card is the wrong direction, getting wayyy too cute.

Quote Originally Posted by sun tzu View Post
    with all of these 'free' spells hitting the graveyard, where is Tasigur, or the other delve monsters? you could even keep most of your creatures out of the maindeck, and side into tasigur, or angler. barbarian ring was also mentioned. i think that would be a fantastic addition since you should be able to turn it on fairly easily (although this fights the delve plan so pick one).

that blue delve card is the wrong direction, getting wayyy too cute.
    Tassigur, The Golden Fang is a good card, but it requires black to cast and green or blue to activate, and that just doesn't fit here.

Of the 'delve monsters', Soulflayer is probably the best fit since it has a decent chance to get haste from eating a corpse. That does at least fit into a RB plan with Bump in the Night too.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'wayyy too cute'. The goal of the deck is to be consistently threatening a 3-4 turn finish. Even a strong value play like DTT isn't ideal for that game plan.

This deck looks pretty sweet, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    The problem is that temporal trespass really wants UUU. You could, I suppose, play 5-color lands, but I'm not sure how easy it is to feed delve with that.
    What about final fortune? It's more mana efficent than trespass and if you aim to win on turn 3-4 anyway maybe the downside isn't that awful. Probably it isn't good enough but I would love to see final fortune working in a deck, it's one of my favorite card ever.

Quote Originally Posted by frafen View Post
    What about final fortune? It's more mana efficent than trespass and if you aim to win on turn 3-4 anyway maybe the downside isn't that awful. Probably it isn't good enough but I would love to see final fortune working in a deck, it's one of my favorite card ever.
    They don't really work the same way. To play Final Fortune sensibly you must either have a clear line of play in mind, or be really desperate. Temporal Trespass, on the other hand, is a card that can be played as soon as it's castable with minimal negative consequences.

P.S.: The recently printed Day's Undoing has some solid synergy with Final Fortune.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

I don't see the advantage to Temporal Trespass over lets say manamorphose? Both cost mana. . . and both essentially just draw you a card for free. If you're already playing Manamorphose why not play Street Wraith - it doesn't trigger prowess.. . . actually why not go totally bananas and play both?

4 Manamorphose
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    4 Urza's Bauble
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Chain Lightning
    3 Fireblast
    3 Temporal Trespass

4 Monastery Swiftspear
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Street Wraith

4 Volcanic Island
    10 Fetchland

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    I don't see the advantage to Temporal Trespass over lets say manamorphose? Both cost mana. . . and both essentially just draw you a card for free. If you're already playing Manamorphose why not play Street Wraith - it doesn't trigger prowess.. . . actually why not go totally bananas and play both?
    It obviously comes with drawbacks, but Temporal Trespass is a force multiplier with creatures - even if it takes all the lands in play to cast it's effectively a free cantrip version of Relentless Assault. Playing both certainly makes sense. I'm just not sure where the sweet spots for deck composition are - after all we could push things even further with Edge of Autumn as a 1 or 2 of.

Thread Information