Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: THE MANA LEAK OPEN 1, Stratford, CT., September 3, 2006

Small Eyed Unicorn
    Mar 2006
    RoChEsTa

Re: THE MANA LEAK OPEN 1, Stratford, CT., September 3, 2006

You never know.. he may end up surprising you and the rest of us!!

I however, will be playing Vintage deck, and perhaps I will T8 without anyone noticing my card pool!!! Ancestrall is just like Brainstorm!!... except I just don't put two cards back!
    Team Unicorn- "I'm Horny."

"The Wandering One" of Legacy.

"Glimmervoid, Go."

Quote Originally Posted by AnwarA101
    Oh by the way, I always hear you are going to play something else, but then you decide to beat people over the head with Solidarity. I would love to see you play Red Death, but I fear it will be a cold day in Hell before that happens!!
    I don't have the cards for Red Death and I wouldn't want to loss out on the top prize for no proxies when I win this thing.

EPIC Eater
    Feb 2005
    Syracuse, NY

So, I've thrown it out there to Mr. Nightmare (Adam) that if we have arrangements or whatever for a place to crash for the night, that I could drive some people from the Syracuse area. I haven't heard anything back from that yet, but we'll see. Anyone else from around Syracuse have any preliminary plans for this thing, that's now in a couple of weeks?

Hi all.

I'm back from Gencon(where by the way after last years top 8 with u/r landstill, I played Stasis to a 3-0-1 start in the legacy champs before losing two in a row).

Time for some replies.

Quote Originally Posted by insertnamehere
    1. As I said flyers will be in the western MA area by saturday. If you need help let me know because I can always help.

2. Does this mean there will be "The mana leak Open" playmats?

See ya there
    Bill
    Bill has been a great asset in getting the word out about this tournament. Bill, I can't thank you enough for your help.

As for playmats, there will be none for the first time around. If the event is successful, however, there will certainly be playmats possibly as soon as the second event(and if so, the winner of TML#1 will get a mat).

Quote Originally Posted by scrumdogg
    2.5 hours from Albany? Suck it up boys, that's a cakewalk. Besides, there are a number of points to consider... A) fantabulous prize support - this is as good or better than the SCG D4D tournies (not that those aren't awesome & appreciated) including lots of chioce (choices are good) B) potential for an ongoing series C) proxies disappearing as the series continues D) which would mean eventual sanctioning D1) hell, half the people in any tourney are going to be disappointed - either they sucked out (and are unhappy that their rating is getting kicked in the teeth) or they do well (and are unhappy it isn't sanctioned...ya can't win as an organizer!) D2) there are NO lareg WOTC events scheduled or on the horizon that give a rat's ass about your Eternal rating...ergo, you can still build it up elsewhere for GP Siberia in winter '09....
    I have tried(and will be trying) to give away as much prize support as possible. My goal is to grow these tournaments focusing less on making money, and more on growing their attendance and reputation. Please keep in mind though that I am not the owner, nor worker, of any store. My affiliation with gaming.etc is simply that they are providing me a place to play in exchange for bringing people in to their store. As such, it is harder, though still important to me, that I give a way a fantastic prize structure.

Eventual disappearance of proxies and sanctioning? A possibility.
    Do I know anything for certain right now? Of course not.

GP SERBIA 09? Wotc didn't release that info yet...how did you know about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Drathro
    I think it was pretty clear in my post that it was the proxies I don't like, and I just drove 2.5 hrs to a tournament this past weekend, so its obviously not just about distance. I'm sorry if one word in my post caused you to have such a reaction. Also, just because you don't wan't something doesn't mean it won't happen. Deal. PS: Try to be polite. Personal attacks are discouraged on these boards.

So what is the rule for proxy construction at this tournament anyway? Maybe I can be swayed to go, if the proxies are required to be recognizable.
    Proxy rules (in accordance with rules set forth by SCG) can be found here
    http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=29470.0

Proxies will be checked at the time of registration and players will be expected to have all significant information about the card written on it.

Additionally, if you have a card(like Chains of Mephistopheles) with alot of text or oracle different from the printed card, feel free to print out the oracle wording and bring it with you to your matches. If you have said slip of paper, you can write "see rules text" on your proxy and show it to your opponent whenever the card is played during your match. This obviously will not be counted negatively as "bringing outside notes to a match."

Quote Originally Posted by FireAndIce
    @ all those persons who oppose proxies

myself and the store that I go to will definitely be attending this tournament with roughly 8 people going. however, we are just breaking into legacy and as such we do not have all of the required number of duals and such that makes the format possible to play with no proxies. ray has already said that there will be additional prizes for those whom play without proxies.

as for how the proxies will be drawn on. why don't we just all agree that they will be made up in accordance to the way that ray specifies for all waterbury tournaments. that is...you take a land (preferably a plains) cross out the word plains, the card type, etc and then write in what the card does as neatly as possible. they will not be perfectly legible. yet they will be ok. besides why do you seek to restrict access to the tournament completely? allowing only 5 proxies ensures that some money must be spent anyway. (forces still needed for solidarity, duals or forces for thresh etc)

as for the person who said that the tournament will not be as competitive as someone who has attended many waterbury tournaments i can assure you that while waterbury was not as competitive as when i played in us nats it was at least as competitive as say regionals. the fact is that people still want to win.
    Thanks for your support and I am glad you will be making it down. As for proxies, see what I said above.

In accordance with this last quote, though, comes a request of you, the Legacy player. I am not as into the Legacy community as I am the Vintage community, however, I really want to see these events be successful, and I know you do too. I can't stress enough the importance of what FireandIce is doing in spreading the word of this event. Only be encouraging the spread of Legacy will your format continue to grow. Please pass news of this event to all you know and encourage them to come check it out.

Thanks,
    Ray

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

I really appreciate your support and enthusiasm for this event. If this one is successful, I'm hoping that it will be easier to organize traveling plans in the future. (So, who wants my tech?)

Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    (So, who wants my tech?)
    [raises hand] I do, I do, pick me, pick me,

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Me too dammit, me too.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    I really appreciate your support and enthusiasm for this event. If this one is successful, I'm hoping that it will be easier to organize traveling plans in the future. (So, who wants my tech?)
    Let me guess. 37 color stax? With 8 exalted angels and Uba mask?

Old School
    Jan 2004
    Rotterdam, NY otherwise known as the 1.5 Capital

Quote Originally Posted by scrumdogg View Post
    GP Siberia in winter '09....
    Hey ixnay on the Prixnay there Scrum, I'm looking to be the only guy from New York with 12 byes at that GP.

Well since I do have the Monday off as well, I might as well go to this damned thing too. If anyone is interested in a ride for Albany just send me a PM. At least I can try to beat Fisherboy if he plays Stasis again... at least the Needles helped in game 2.
    Mythic Rogue Deck Builder
    Team Freshly Baked Crayons
    Team Albany

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Negotiations with Wife-queda have failed. Failed and failed again. Team Albany will not be showing up unless another member drives the ball-and-chain-free members.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten View Post
    Negotiations with Wife-queda have failed. Failed and failed again. Team Albany will not be showing up unless another member drives the ball-and-chain-free members.
    You were able to get away to play magic on your aniversary but you can't get away this time?

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    You were able to get away to play magic on your aniversary but you can't get away this time?
    I never said that Wife-Queda makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten View Post
    I never said that Wife-Queda makes sense.
    Oh she's probably just on her period, try asking next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher487 View Post
    Hey ixnay on the Prixnay there Scrum, I'm looking to be the only guy from New York with 12 byes at that GP.

Well since I do have the Monday off as well, I might as well go to this damned thing too. If anyone is interested in a ride for Albany just send me a PM. At least I can try to beat Fisherboy if he plays Stasis again... at least the Needles helped in game 2.
    I would talk trash back, but I will not be playing in my own event.

You'll just have to wait for some other time to beat my stasis deck.

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Let me guess. 37 color stax? With 8 exalted angels and Uba mask?
    I play monocolored Stax. Sometimes, no colors at all.

May 2005

I just hope the EPIC project is completed by that time so I can win with something else for a change.

Also, this may be the clone's triumphant return to Legacy. Be prepared for twice the Herbig.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Be prepared for twice the Herbig.
    That makes my boner huge.

/stoked

Small Eyed Unicorn
    Mar 2006
    RoChEsTa

Twice the Herbig!?!?! 0_o
    Team Unicorn- "I'm Horny."

"The Wandering One" of Legacy.

"Glimmervoid, Go."

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

Identical twins...or clones...or mime stunt doubles...or something...but there are supposedly two of it/them/him
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Not to burst anybodys bubble. The crew from West Springfield will be there in full force. If anybody from Western MA is going and needs a ride come and see us Sundays at the Dragon's Lair.

Cranky wives/girlfriends need not attend attend.

For those of you that don't know where Western MA it is the Capital of all that is Vintage/Legacy.

Tradewhore.
    Last edited by insertnamehere; 08-20-2006 at 08:21 AM.
    The return of a Legend(in his own words)

Thread Information