Page 22 of 134 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] 43 Lands

Nov 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio

Re: [Deck] 43 Lands

Quote Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
    I see what you're trying to do, but wouldn't dredging into Kozilek be like GY-hating yourself anyway?
    Yes, you are, but this would only be something that you would do if you have Life from the Loam in your hand and the engine is running. The issue is that you are limited on the certain lands in your deck. If things like Mishra's workshops and gargoyle castle get exiled then you cannot recur them with Life from the Loam. This way they are shuffled into your deck and you will be able to access them again. Also, you get all of your intuitions and every other spell you have cast previously that are not in play at that time.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by BreathWeapon View Post
    Is there any particular reason this deck uses a lot of "chaff" utility lands instead of just 4xing Tabernacle, considering how important Tabernacle is in this deck? It's about the only land I tutor for, besides Glacial Chasm and Barbarian Ring to end the game.
    Besides the fact that tabernacle is $200 and legendary? Sometimes you go the beatdown with factory, sometimes you need wasteland, ruins is nice too, maze slows their clock, cephalid coloseum makes you see 9 cards.

I'm not sure I understand your point. The Blue version runs silver bullets as tutor targets while the traditional list needs say riftstone portal to get mana from say tabernacle to further board position without sacrificing control. What lands do you consider chaff?

Nov 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    Besides the fact that tabernacle is $200 and legendary?
    More like 330 for a NM english one

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

4 tabernacle seems excessive. Considering that they are legendary and do not produce mana I would say the absolute most I would consider is 3 of them. I could easily see the right number as two given all the graveyard hate, but more seems a bit silly. My opinion has nothing to do with the cost of acquiring them, just the playability of them.

Dec 2009
    Michigan

I run one tabernacle in the main and one in the side. I have been happy with that for a while.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by malden View Post
    More like 330 for a NM english one
    Like they exist Tabernacle might as well have been printed in Italian

Nov 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio

Like they exist Tabernacle might as well have been printed in Italian
    Actually, they do exist. I just got one from a friend that won 12 english legends packs as a prize at a legacy tournament. Of course he did the usual, push up the back card, see if its an expensive rare, bust it if it is, and ebay all the others. Only one pack had a rare worth more than selling the pack sealed. I have seen quite a few Tabernacles, and this one is amazing in quality. Being friends he gave me a good deal on it at 290. I will have to post scans sometime.

Besides the fact that tabernacle is $200 and legendary? Sometimes you go the beatdown with factory, sometimes you need wasteland, ruins is nice too, maze slows their clock, cephalid coloseum makes you see 9 cards.

I'm not sure I understand your point. The Blue version runs silver bullets as tutor targets while the traditional list needs say riftstone portal to get mana from say tabernacle to further board position without sacrificing control. What lands do you consider chaff?
    Because FWIW, Tabernacle and the speed at which you find Tabernacle has the single, biggest effect on your aggro match ups, I think you want as many as you can afford/fit into the deck because no other land has such a profound effect on the board position with out Loam backing it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

Because FWIW, Tabernacle and the speed at which you find Tabernacle has the single, biggest effect on your aggro match ups, I think you want as many as you can afford/fit into the deck because no other land has such a profound effect on the board position with out Loam backing it up.
    dur its a legend. when you manabond out 2 how good is that for your agro matchup? this is why. if you draw 2 you cant use manabond, which is actually the best card in the deck not tab.

Dec 2009
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by RexFTW View Post
    dur its a legend. when you manabond out 2 how good is that for your agro matchup? this is why. if you draw 2 you cant use manabond, which is actually the best card in the deck not tab.
    there are so many times that the second one can be pitched if manabond is in play. mox diamond, glacial chasm, gamble. as a two of the chances are low and if you absolutly have to sack both to mana bond you can always grab it back sooner rather than later. I think its woth the risk in certain matchups; thats why you keep your second in the side.

he wants to play 4....
    Is there any particular reason this deck uses a lot of "chaff" utility lands instead of just 4xing Tabernacle

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Running four is silly. you can stall long enough with manlands and maze. While great, running 4 tabernacle is 2 more than any list could profit from.
    You tend beat most aggro, you tend beat most control. Its not because you run 4 tabernacle effects.

Quote Originally Posted by RexFTW View Post
    No shit Sherlock, the synergy with Manabond is a minor consideration, there's clearly a number between 1 and 4 Tabernacles that maximizes its effectiveness as an early game tempo generator and minimizes its late game dead card advantage. Tabernacle is probably the single most unfair card in this deck, I think you're crazy if you don't want to play more than 1 between the MD and SB at least.
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Tabernacle is probably the single most unfair card in this deck
    Life from the Loam, Manabond, Glacial Chasm, Tolaria West would like to have a word with you outside

I currently have my list like this:
    1 EE
    4 mox diamond
    1 tormod"s crypt
    1 mindslaver
    4 exploration
    4 manabond
    4 intuition
    4 life from the loam
    1 forest
    1 taiga
    1 bayou
    3 tropical island
    1 misty rainforest
    1 windswept heath
    1 wooded foothills
    1 verdant catacomb
    1 cephalid coliseum
    1 barbarian ring
    1 glacial chasm
    4 maze of ith
    4 mishra's factory
    4 rishadan port
    4 wasteland
    3 tolaria west
    3 tranquil thicket
    1 academy ruins
    1 the tabernacle at pendrell vale

If I wanted to play one more tabernacle in the main deck what do you guys prefer to remove in this list to swap it in?

Life from the Loam, Manabond, Glacial Chasm, Tolaria West would like to have a word with you outside
    Well the entire deck is fundamentally unfair, I was focusing on the effect of 1 land tho' with no support from the rest of the deck tho', Tabernacle is just ridiculous at what it does with no set up.

How do you like Tolaria West? I found that card to be incredibly bad in testing.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

@proraptor: I'd cut the Mindslaver, Barbarian Ring and Taiga in the first place and replace the Crypt with Bog while having 3 Crypt in the board.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

How do you like Tolaria West? I found that card to be incredibly bad in testing.
    Sure its not ideal with manabond, but the ability to find EE, tabernacle, wasteland, academy ruins (slaver kill), chasm is really disgusting. Getting 1uu is not always easy.
    In what way have you found it bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    @proraptor: I'd cut the Mindslaver, Barbarian Ring and Taiga in the first place and replace the Crypt with Bog while having 3 Crypt in the board.
    Why do you feel graveyard matchups have become an issue?

Also, cutting Mindslaver has the potential to significantly increase the time it takes for you to win matches, which unfortunately is a consideration.

I'm also hesitant of cutting Barbarian Ring. How else can you deal with a resolved Dark Confidant, Meddling Mage or Yixlid Jailer? Sure, you have EE but you have a lot of other uses for EE, and can't always set up recursion.

Well the entire deck is fundamentally unfair, I was focusing on the effect of 1 land tho' with no support from the rest of the deck tho', Tabernacle is just ridiculous at what it does with no set up.

So... you can go your own way with Tabernacle. And lose. Tabernacle is mediocre at best without other cards around it. When you have wastelands, maze of ith, Mishra's Factory and utility lands around it, Tabernacle is better.

The real reason Tolaria West is so good is in situations where you don't have an Exploration or Manabond out, and need to develop the board more. For 2UUG (which, admittedly isn't always easy to get) you get to put any land from your deck into play, based on the situation. Against Zoo, you get 4x Tabernacle, against reanimator, you get 4x mishra's factory, glacial chasm or maze of ith, which changes based on the situation.

Have you read Stephen Menendian's article on the lands deck? The entire point of the article is "You can win without Exploration or Manabond"
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Quote Originally Posted by mchainmail View Post
    Why do you feel graveyard matchups have become an issue?

Also, cutting Mindslaver has the potential to significantly increase the time it takes for you to win matches, which unfortunately is a consideration.

I'm also hesitant of cutting Barbarian Ring. How else can you deal with a resolved Dark Confidant, Meddling Mage or Yixlid Jailer? Sure, you have EE but you have a lot of other uses for EE, and can't always set up recursion.

So... you can go your own way with Tabernacle. And lose. Tabernacle is mediocre at best without other cards around it. When you have wastelands, maze of ith, Mishra's Factory and utility lands around it, Tabernacle is better.

The real reason Tolaria West is so good is in situations where you don't have an Exploration or Manabond out, and need to develop the board more. For 2UUG (which, admittedly isn't always easy to get) you get to put any land from your deck into play, based on the situation. Against Zoo, you get 4x Tabernacle, against reanimator, you get 4x mishra's factory, glacial chasm or maze of ith, which changes based on the situation.

Have you read Stephen Menendian's article on the lands deck? The entire point of the article is "You can win without Exploration or Manabond"
    Of course Tabernacle is mediocre without other cards around it, but the other cards around it are un-counterable lands and not counterable spells, that's the difference. Tabernacle essentially makes each and every land in your deck better at what it does, and there's nothing your opponent can do about it (it's a lot like Loam in that sense) My point is, I spend so much time/resources tutoring for Tabernacle that I may as well just play more Tabernacles since they have such a drastic effect on the early game.

Thread Information