Page 2 of 134 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] 43 Lands

Johny Rogue
    Feb 2006
    Mysterious land of Poland

Re: [Deck] Lands!

Once I won the league playing Loam-Rift with 30+ lands and sideboard Trinisphere especially against Combo (improving matchup with Fish from 80 to 90 percent isn't neccessary).
    Common Sense was reprinted as rare.

Hello.

I was just SOOO amazed by the deck, really something unusual and powerfull.

Well, can someone explain me how to SB (what in and out) in certain match-ups?

P.S.
    It'd be great if the author of the deck'd have written an article about it *dream*

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

So...

Why no Crop Rotation again? Its an anti-wasteland, one mana, instant speed, tutor for 1 of 43 cards in the deck. Seriously now. It just seems better than Roar.

Is Swords to Plowshares ever a problem? You could play a single High Market and sac the targets to it. Then again thats why you run Zuran Orb right? Are they good enough maindeck?
    Now playing real formats.

Johny Rogue
    Feb 2006

I assure you that StP isn't a thing to worry about. Too many targets coming each turn :P.

Cropp is good, but, as I've said already, we have a great engine and hardly there is a reason to mess it up.
    but peronally I use Crop in my own deck, which is way different.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

I'm assuming I'm not the only person who has faced nothing but this for the past 48 hours on MWS. So annoying.

It seems like Crucible of Worlds could be a bomb here, and the number of games that Roar of the Wurm has been relevant basically only include the ones where he comes down turn 2. Seems to me that the Roars and maybe even a Life from the Loam could be switched out for a Crucible. I understand that this slightly reduces the effectiveness of Manabond, but has Crucible been tested at all? It seems amazing (not to mention much better with Geddon out of the board.)

Johny Rogue
    Feb 2006

Crucible does not work in this deck beacuse it's too slow and fragile, and not even needed. I've tested it... a long time ago, in various decks - I've been playing random land.dec for months.

Loam works way better with every single card we have, especially the:

-Cycle lands
    -Roar (dredge it!)
    -Monastery (threshold!)
    -Ring (the same)

Is more effective against Pikula and other ponzing decks.
    Is immune to counter / discard.

I have to write it again: You don't need to improve the engine!

Don't ever write like that again. ~ Nightmare
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-15-2006 at 07:45 AM.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

I don't think anyone is telling you to cut Life From the Loam. All they're saying is, this deck may benefit from the additional recursion of Crucible, which is effectively cheaper than LFtL after the fourth land you play. Whether they are right or not, we need more than "I tested it a long time ago and it sucked, it just isn't needed" to back up your statements.

Johny Rogue
    Feb 2006

Crucible is an overkill.

While playing this deck, our essential turns are the first and second ones. It's the time to block Lackey, doesn't let Pikula to screw our manabase, stop a random combo etc.
    What are we doing first? Dropping Exploration or Manabond, which ALWAYS give us at least four lands on turn 2. Then, we have to manage this resources in order to stop attackers and gain some advantage, especially using the Loam and cycle lands.
    We cannot drop Crucible on turn 2, as it makes us vulnerable to any random threat opponent might have.
    On turns 3-5 we usually do the same, but casting the Loam / Mulch puts a mad loads of lands in our hand. Keep in mind that they are faster than Crucible and doesn't need any other conditions (eg. Fetch in the yard) to run. they are much more universal.

After some turn, we start to attack and kill with 10+ lands.
    And there is a question: where or when did U need Crucible? It's just suboptimal in this build, as we can do all it's able to do fatser and more reliably.
    Crucible is just another card vulnerable to Counter / Disruption and screws up Mulch.

The reason this deck loses isn't bacause we don't have enought lands. We don't have enought answers to combo decks and that is only acceptable reason to drop already reliable cards.

A bunch of solutions:

Chalice of The Void - fast, but might hurt us, espeically when x=2
    Trinisphere - powerful, useful
    Sphere of Resistance - fast, hard to deal with once it's dropped
    Orrim's Chant - fastest of all, useful
    Gilded Light - instant, cyclable

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

No, Crucible is not overkill. Why? Because Meddling Mage > your face. Chalice of the Void > your face. What the hell do you do when you can't cast Life from the Loam? All you have is pray you see a Barbarian Ring.

I'm pretty sure the "disadvantage" Crucible has is outweighted by its advantage. You know, that advantage that single-handedly wins games.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Out of curiousity, is there anything you can do to Tsabo's Web besides weep and gnash your teeth?
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-15-2006 at 11:27 AM.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

#1 Asshole
    Oct 2005
    MI

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges
    Out of curiousity, is there anything you can do to Tsabo's Web besides weep and gnash your teeth?
    Yes: He can rely on the fact that it is a horrible card and will never see play.

Personally, I like Crucible in this deck, a lot, so you don't have to scoop to a Chalice at two. I guess you could keep getting Loam countered and hope to dredge into a Roar, but it seems a little spotty to me.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by dre4ms
    Yes: He can rely on the fact that it is a horrible card and will never see play.
    What about blood moon, or back to basics?

And tsabo's web is not a horrible card. Perhaps if it didn't cantrip. But at only two mana and a cantrip, it is pretty nice.

Johny Rogue
    Feb 2006

You are right about the hate. I would play single forest and some naturalizes in the sideboard, which easily deal with these and other threats.

This is what I suggest:

4 Orrim's Chant - storm combo, probably every random combo
    4 Sphere of Resistance - as above
    3 Naturalize
    4 Pithing Needle - Crypt and random combo decks, but this card is universal

About Meddling Mage - Fish is the best matchup I remember and this card is the only one that might hurt us.
    AFAiK, it also plays in ********, but I rarely meet this deck and cannot say much more.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Warmonger
    You are right about the hate. I would play single forest and some naturalizes in the sideboard, which easily deal with these and other threats.

AFAiK, it also plays in ********, but I rarely meet this deck and cannot say much more.
    Genius. Naturalize in the board as an answer to Chalice for 2. How about Oxidize, or even that stupid Convoke one that costs 3.

Threshold is the #1 deck in the format right now. I suggest NOT brushing it off as a "rarely seen" deck. Also, Moved to Developmental.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges
    Lol. There is a funny story to it.

That actually happened on the first of the tourneys. He even played it maindeck in his Scepter Chant. That was when we didn't have Tabernacles so we played 2 Worship main instead and the opponent just let the Worship resolve with 2 Forces in hand. He totally forgot that our player could activate the Manlands with combat damage on stack and so the game was won because he decked himself :p

And yeah, if your opponent does not suck: of course this totally loses to Tsabos Web unless you boarded Disk. It is like Faerie Stompy against super secret tech Llawan, Cephalid Emperess.

EDIT: This belongs in a PM to a Mod. Specifically, me. I've PM'd you. ~ Nightmare
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-15-2006 at 12:15 PM.

Johny Rogue
    Feb 2006

Genius. Naturalize in the board as an answer to Chalice for 2
    I meant only Tsabo's Web, BtB, Blood Moon and lot of random artifacts & enchantment we would undoubtely meet.
    Threshold is the #1 deck in the format right now. I suggest NOT brushing it off as a "rarely seen" deck
    I'm not responsible for the whole Poland.
    Didn't I say that I have NOT ENOUGHT knowledge about this deck? It's up to YOU what can be done with it - that's how the forum works, right?

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Warmonger
    I'm not responsible for the whole Poland.
    I disagree. Since you are the only Polish person I know on here, then I will be holding you personally responsible for the Poland meta game.

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

What about Limited Resources?

Limited Resources
    W, Enchantment

When Limited Resources comes into play, each player chooses five lands he or she controls and sacrifices the rest.
    Players can't play lands if there are ten or more lands in play.

Opponent should not be able to play more than 2 or 3 lands before reaching a total of ten, and Wastelands and Ports complete the opera.

But the funniest thing is that Manabond seems working without any problem, because it says "put land cards into play", not just "play".

Manabond
    G, Enchantment

At the end of your turn, you may reveal your hand and put all land cards from it into play. If you do, discard your hand.

Correct?
    IN SB, this is much more evil than Armageddon, but maybe it's worth to play MD.
    Last edited by Morte; 08-17-2006 at 11:10 AM.

Aug 2006
    Philly

Yes Morte I think that this might just work as a soft lock against some decks and combined with wasteland and port it could shut your opponent out of the game for at least a few turns if not the entire game. I think that you just made a giant move for this deck if the card works as you think it does. If you can't play any lands anyway it still acts as a lock with rishadan ports in play.

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

It seems that Gigapede would be a reasonable win.

Gigapede 3GG

Gigapede can’t be the target of spells or abilities.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, if Gigapede is in your graveyard, you may discard a card. If you do, return Gigapede to your hand.

6/1

He fits in perfectly with all the discard (Mulch, Manabond). He comes back and would speed up the clock significantly.

Just a thought.

Thread Information