Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wait just a SPLIT SECOND.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Re: Wait just a SPLIT SECOND.

Most importantly, Kobolds are back. Finally, Kobold Clamp will be viable!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

I'm really intrigued by Krosan Grip, mainly the 'split second' ability. If I'm reading this right, that makes it an uncounterable Naturalize. I'd pony up the extra mana for that. Of course, it'll still get countered by Chalice, but who sets a chalice at 3? I sort of think they should have named the mechanic 'Interrupt', just because that's totally what this is (I mean, a spell you can't respond to? Yeah).

Grapeshot looks promising. It's waaay better than Scattershot at least.

And the omni-fetchland is the bees knees, no matter what anyone says. Just look at the art! So....beautiful.....

And I think it's great that they're bringing back all the old mechanics. So far it looks like it's just Oddessey/Onslaught (flashback, morph, storm), but I really hope they go farther than that. There have been tons of times where I thought, 'man, I wish there was a card with <insert keyword ability here> that worked like this...too bad it won't ever come back now that it's printed'.

I'm just looking for a card with Scry 3, or 4 even. It would be great.

This just made my day .
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

Kobold Clamp will be viable
    Not even with Clamp legal.

As far as Split Second or whatever the hell you want to call it, it's the same as "Can't be Countered by spells or effects". Looks like they just made it into a keyword. Who cares, I highly doubt anything really good is going to printed with this on it.

As far as bringing back the old keywords that's cool. I would really like to see some new Madness and Theshold stuff.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

Bryant Cook

I want a card that's 1U or even 1UU, Storm. Draw a card. Or R, Storm. Deal 1 or 2.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Brushwagg View Post
    Not even with Clamp legal.

As far as Split Second or whatever the hell you want to call it, it's the same as "Can't be Countered by spells or effects". Looks like they just made it into a keyword. Who cares, I highly doubt anything really good is going to printed with this on it.
    No it is not the same as can't be countered it is better. Have you not played against one of the best decks in the format which essentially does everything in response to what you do, the deck is all instants! I know personally I have gotten quite tired of playing a spell and then solidarity winning in response without even bothering to counter it, they just never let it resolve. I really hope that they have a good card with split second on it that stops solidarity. Because that is the problem with solidarity, no matter what you play, no matter how devistating, and even if it was uncounterable, solidarity can simply win in response and never let your fucking spell resolve.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

The reason SS is better than "Can't be countered" is that your opponent can't respond to it at all. A Lightning Bolt with SS, for instance, could be cast on a Goblin Welder who could then not weld anything in before he died. It has the potential to be way too powerful, so I don't expect anything aggressively costed with the keyword.

Jun 2005
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Lego_Army_Man View Post
    A Lightning Bolt with SS, for instance, could be cast on a Goblin Welder who could then not weld anything in before he died. It has the potential to be way too powerful, so I don't expect anything aggressively costed with the keyword.
    A SS Shock would be good enough for me.

Would that be too broken in Standard?
    Belcher, RUG Delver, Death & Taxes, Colorless Eldrazi, Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose
    Fuck you ^_^

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    I want a card that's 1U or even 1UU, Storm. Draw a card. Or R, Storm. Deal 1 or 2.
    Yes Bryant. A card that says...

R

Deal 2 damage to target opponent

Storm

...would be fair. Thats basically a rediculous tendrils.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    Yes Bryant. A card that says...

R

Deal 2 damage to target opponent

Storm

...would be fair. Thats basically a rediculous tendrils.
    A Shock with SS would be...
    R
    Deal 2 Damage to target creature or player, As long as this is on the stack non-mana spells/abilities can't be played.

I'd say that's not going to happen, either it could be overcosted or only target creatures and still probobaly cost atleast 2.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Sep 2005
    New England

Split Second is their way of reprinting interrupts.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Man, I am really, really looking forward to this block. More then Ravnica. Way more then Coldsnap. Bring on the good old days! I like the feel we have now...Ravnica was like Invasion, but with a modern twist. Then Coldsnap was Ice Age, again, modernized. I like that this covers a ton of old stuff, not just one block. Merfolk! Yes! Time to go dust off the Lords of Atlantis.

Madness and Threshold! Where are the Wild Mongrels hiding?
    InfoNinjas

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Heh, I thought of the same mechanic ("Swift" "This spell doesn't use the stack."), seems like it's fairly intuitive. Nice to see it getting printed. I find my version more elegant though. And Merfolk are back (Lord of Atlantis finally getting its errata?) and most importantly, KOBOLDS! Seems like majority of the mechanics thus far are from Onslaught/Odyssey though. And red storm-card that doesn't cost 9 seems pretty good. Could be actually usable.

Whatever

Mar 2006
    L'Aquila, Italy

Interrupts are back.

And this makes them uncaunterable too!
    Pretty BAD!

EPIC awesomeness
    Mar 2004
    Baldwinsville/Oswego, NY

Yeah, no more Aluren winning in response to Naturalize, EVER!!!! I know you guys were getting scared of Aluren... I guess we'll all be safe now.
    EPIC Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9 View Post
    I personally like spell snare against 2 cc spells, but it really isn't good against spells that aren't 2 cc. With engineered explosives, it is a good card to have against non-land permanents with converted mana cost equal to what you set the explosives to, but it doesn't hit those that have differing cc. Plus, engineered explosives has sunburst.
    -My hero

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Agent View Post
    For some odd reason, I find shackles to be superb against creature oriented decks. Of course, the logic behind it is the sooner you can play and activate shackles the better. Although, shackles definitely has it's late game uses as well. It basically counts as a threat and a removal spell simultaneously which is relevant against "not quite shroud" creatures. Also, you should really be running a playset of engineered plagues against merfolks. They can dismantle tribal decks so run more of them.
    -I don't think this one was a joke...

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

That split second naturalize also seems like it will be fairly powerful against scepter chant. Since they have no way to stop you from destroying the scepter. Also running it in survival decks, or at least in the board seems good. Becuase with that thresh decks can't let survival resolve even if they got a needle out on it already. It also is very good against survival since they can't go tutor up a witness in respone to you destroying it. I am really very pleased with the split second ability. Most of all because it was preveiwed on a green card. That seems like an ability wizards might only give to blue, but I'm glad they are printing it on cards that are enemy colors of blue (because this ability hoses blue the most). I think split second it a wonderful ability and it really stops so many things, so many things are broken in this format cause your opponent can do stuff in response, it really will help keep power levels in check.

Combo King Pommes
    Aug 2005
    Germany

Argh, I already hate Split Second. :(

Solidarity is not overpowered... It's a decent combo deck. I hope they won't print any unfair Split Second spells that makes Solidarity unviable... :(
    Sometimes you have to read between the minds.

++ T8ing all over Europe since 2005 ++
    ++ Team aYb - all your base (are belong to us) ++

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Preuss View Post
    Argh, I already hate Split Second. :(

Solidarity is not overpowered... It's a decent combo deck. I hope they won't print any unfair Split Second spells that makes Solidarity unviable... :(
    You have no idea how much I want them to do so.

what do you guys think about this new ability Suspend? and Lotus Bloom, its like Black Lotus, but it comes out three turns later. It just seems interesting.

Jul 2006
    taxachusettes usa

Yes, killing scepter is going to be ,well, easy, with an uncounterable kill, and with activated abilities being squashed type card being around. The question is , what are the other colors going to get? Red, very likely a dd spell. We know green is getting a destroy card, black will likely get a destroy card. White will get a prevent damage card, or a put tokens into play sorcery, blue will get a sorcery speed card draw. The rarity will be interesting as well. The green one is uncommon. Naturalize is a common. Is it just that much better?

Jul 2006
    taxachusettes usa

Where did you get this info on this keyword and this "lotus" type card?
    (A link would be nice) Forget it, found it, HOLY CRAP a new lotus. Mind is churning how to abuse that card, second sunrise sounds really good.
    Last edited by to1701; 08-23-2006 at 10:52 AM.

Thread Information