Thread: The Great Designer Search

May 2005

The Great Designer Search

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/355

No one else posted this so I thougt I'd drop this in here for people who don't read the Wizards site regularly. Its more like a lottery than an actual job application but who wouldn't love to win this thing? I don't have anything going after I graduate in December so I'm definately going to give it a shot. First round entries are due by midnight Sunday/Monday.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Re: The Great Designer Search

I don't think I'd want to win. Plus, I'd be a sucky designer.

I do like the 250-350 word requirement, but I think they should have made the requirment exactly 268 words or something fun like that. At the very least it would show them who has time on their hands.

Phasing, cumulative upkeep, echo, fading, flanking, rampage
    Jul 2004
    Syracuse

I just finished the exam for phase two, and it is fairly difficult. The answers are not something that can just be searched for and regurgitated, they required quite a bit of thought. Although it was multiple choice, and somtimes there were multiple anwers that seemed correct, there was only one answer to each question. The e-mail from MaRo prior to taking the exam stated that the test will be available to the public at some point in the future. I will say that I enjoyed it immensely, and would feel honored to continue to phase three.
    Old Fogey

You're not just wrong, rules say you're a dick!

I'm in round 2, finishing it up now.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

It's a neat idea - I didn't participate because I don't want to move to Seattle (or work for wizards); but I do give them mad props for the idea and seeing it through (hopefully).

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Had this been started before I opened up my new shop, I would have jumped at the chance for it. Working for R&D at Wizards was second to working as an artist for them, and about equal to being a store owner.

I at least got one dream job, though. Good enough for me.

Nov 2005
    Las Vegas, NV

While id love a job MTG related like that, i too dont want to move. Ive been comfortable here in vegas for 25 years now, so no reason to leave.

I read over the first set of questions though, and i guess id get stuck on the CoK and Rav block questions, cause frankly, i dont give much of a damn about either.

But i could answer the time travel question about alpha. Easy. Id tell him to keep the alpha/beta print run going longer! =) Maybe tell him not to bother with Time Vault... or drop all the laces, cause they suck to pack...

Anyone make it to round 3? Good luck to those that have!

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

They have the test up that they gave people in the last round. 30 was the cut-off score to make it to next round. I took the public one today and got a 25, of course I didn't try to hard since it didn't count, plus I don't draft so that hurt my knowledge.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Bump so you guys know that T1 player and all-around nice guy Andy Probasco (better known as Brassman) is one of the final three. Good luck Andy!

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nightmare View Post
    Bump so you guys know that T1 player and all-around nice guy Andy Probasco (better known as Brassman) is one of the final three. Good luck Andy!
    You mean that cocky, arrogant, son of a bitch I stole my playstyle from...

Seriously.... Go Probasco! I hope he wins! We need Great eternal players to win this thing to represent the eternal format. If he wins, theres a chance that something cool would be in the format...
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

NO FUN JUST PSYCHATOGS
    Oct 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts

I started taking the test, realized it was hella boring and stopped. I would never move there anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook
    This change also changed the sideboard, Xantid Swarm - it’s been real. Peace.

Nov 2004
    Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nightmare View Post
    Nice to see a recognizable entry has a chance. Go Brassman!

Zvi put up odds. And he should know, having landed an internship himself.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information