Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Akroma + Animate Dead...

Old School
    Jan 2004
    Rotterdam, NY otherwise known as the 1.5 Capital

Akroma + Animate Dead...

Here is the problem.

My opponent has Akroma in the graveyard.
    He casts Animate Dead.

Now according to my opponent this is what happens:

Animate Dead becomes an enchantment that targets Akroma.
    Akroma comes into play because of Animate Dead.
    Animate Dead becomes an Aura and attempts to attach to Akroma.
    Akroma's Pro-Black kicks in and Animate Dead is put into the Graveyard.

So he has Akroma in play and Animate Dead in the Graveyard.

Now here is my version:

Animate Dead attaches to Akroma (attach doesn't target).
    State based effects kicks in and Animate Dead is put into the Graveyard.
    Akroma is put into the Graveyard, due to Animate Dead's third ability (doesn't target).

Now who is right? I know this looks simple at first but this really did make or break a recent tourney. So before you post, please check and see if you can back this up with any respectable rulings or w/ Oracle.

Thanks again.
    Mythic Rogue Deck Builder
    Team Freshly Baked Crayons
    Team Albany

Sep 2005
    Boston, MA

Re: Akroma + Animate Dead...

Well, I don't think you need anything but the card rulings for this one...:

When Animate Dead comes into play, if it's in play, it becomes an enchant creature. Put target creature card from a graveyard into play under your control enchanted by Animate Dead.
    Enchanted creature gets -1/-0.
    When Animate Dead leaves play, destroy enchanted creature. It can't be regenerated.

Animate dead never targets the live creature. The creature comes into play with animate dead enchanting it. DEBT means that as soon as it hits play, the enchantment falls off. In a sense both of you are wrong, it never "attempts to attach" to Akroma, it is attached, then falls off. As soon as it falls off, akroma goes back to the graveyard.
    EDIT: Actually, you're more right here, it is attached, I hadn't considered things that go poof after leaving the graveyard. But yes, attaching doesn't target.

In addition, if I remember correctly, this all happens as a state-based effect. That means that no one receives priority between akroma hitting play and it going back to the graveyard. Your opponent would not be able to echoing truth akroma back to their hand, and you wouldn't be able to STP it, before it made it back to the graveyard.

I'm sure on the first part, not positive on the second.

EDIT: I am WRONG. Sorry, stupid rules for enchantments changing!
    Last edited by tivadar; 08-30-2006 at 08:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc
    Thanks for your reply. I believe it is my wording that has made you unpleasant. My fears were something like Angel Stompy ruling Legacy.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher487 View Post
    Now here is my version:

Animate Dead attaches to Akroma (attach doesn't target).
    State based effects kicks in and Animate Dead is put into the Graveyard.
    Akroma is put into the Graveyard, due to Animate Dead's third ability (doesn't target).
    You are completly correct here.

In short animate dead + akroma does not equal combo.

In addition, if I remember correctly, this all happens as a state-based effect. That means that no one receives priority between akroma hitting play and it going back to the graveyard. Your opponent would not be able to echoing truth akroma back to their hand, and you wouldn't be able to STP it, before it made it back to the graveyard.
    This is not true. Yes the animate dead goes into the graveyard before any player recieves priority. However killing the akroma is a triggered ability of the Animate dead, which you can respond to. So each player has the option of swordsing/bouncing akroma. Also, animate dead + akroma + stifle = combo!

If you really want some oracle shit, I guess I shall look it up and I'll be back shortly.

edit: Here is your oracle shit.

First the oracle text on the card:
    When Animate Dead comes into play, if it's in play, it becomes an Aura with enchant creature. Put target creature card from a graveyard into play under your control and attach Animate Dead to it.
    When Animate Dead leaves play, destroy enchanted creature. It can't be regenerated.
    Now the relevant ruling from the comprehensive rule book (an expert from rule 415.3):
    415.3. Aura spells are always targeted. An Aura’s target is specified by its enchant keyword ability (see rule 502.45, “Enchant”). An Aura permanent doesn’t target anything; only the spell is targeted.
    And here is a bit of rules on protection:
    502.7c A permanent with protection can’t be enchanted by Auras that have the stated quality. Such Auras attached to the permanent with protection will be put into their owners’ graveyards as a state-based effect. (See rule 420, “State-Based Effects.”).
    And a little bit about state-based effects:
    420.3. Whenever a player would get priority (see rule 408, “Timing of Spells and Abilities”), the game checks for any of the listed conditions for state-based effects. All applicable effects resolve as a single event, then the check is repeated. Once no more state-based effects have been generated, triggered abilities go on the stack, and then the appropriate player gets priority. This check is also made during the cleanup step (see rule 314); if any of the listed conditions apply, the active player receives priority.
    As we can see from the oracle wording of animate dead, it does target akroma in the graveyard, and then brings it into play, which all parties are in agreement that this is fine which it is.

The descrepancy is, does the aura get attached before it dies or does it die before it gets attached?

As the definition of protection shows, protection does not stop the aura from becoming attached. "Such Auras attached to the permanent with protection will be put into their owners’ graveyards as a state-based effect." State based effects are not checked in the middle of spell resolution, they are check before players get priority, as shown by rule 420.3 quoted above. So the aura does attach to the creature since state-based effect are not checked until after it has been attached. Once the aura is attached state-based effects are checked before a player recieves priorty. The aura then goes to the graveyard and it's triggered ability triggers and goes onto the stack. Players then recieve prioty, once the trigger resolves then akroma dies.
    Last edited by quicksilver; 08-28-2006 at 01:17 PM.

Sep 2005
    Boston, MA

Ahh you're right, forgot about the trigger on the animate, priority does come into play, not that it should matter much.
    Thanks for your reply. I believe it is my wording that has made you unpleasant. My fears were something like Angel Stompy ruling Legacy.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    See my post above, I edited it with oracle shit.

Bryant Cook

The bitch just doesn't know whats good for her...

Old School
    Jan 2004

Thanks Gentlemen for the help. If any other judge would like to put any input to this it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone looking to go to the Mana Leak tourney remember to bust this out if 'Caleb' decides to do this against you.
    Team Albany

Apr 2006
    Worcester/Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyjx (Level One Judge)
    The end result is an Akroma in play and Animate Dead in the graveyard. To reach this end, you must know the Oracle text of Animate Dead:

When Animate Dead comes into play, if it's in play, it becomes an Aura with enchant creature. Put target creature card from a graveyard into play under your control and attach Animate Dead to it.

So, when you play Animate Dead, you follow the steps that it says to do as much as able...

When Animate Dead comes into play, if it's in play, it becomes an Aura with enchant creature.

Easy enough...

Put target creature card from a graveyard into play under your control and attach Animate Dead to it.

So, Akroma comes back into play. Animate Dead, however, cannot be attached to the creature as the card instructs; as such, it never attaches. Note that Akroma is a legal target when it's in the graveyard, as protection doesn't do anything when a creature isn't in play.

Since it never gets attached, this never happens.

When Animate Dead finishes resolving, it doesn't have a creature attached to it, so there is no creature to enchant.

There you go, you now have an Akroma in play without Animate Dead attached to it.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Akroma will be in play and Animate Dead will be in the Graveyard. Animate Dead will never be attached to Akroma.

- Animate Dead targets Akroma, Akroma comes into play.
    - A. Dead tries to attach to Akroma but fails because of Pro: Black
    - A. Dead goes to yard, Akroma stays in play

You guys are wrong. Akroma stays in play here is the relevant rule.

212.4k If an effect attempts to attach an Aura in play to a permanent or player, that permanent or player must be able to be enchanted by it. If the permanent or player can’t be, the Aura doesn’t move.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by blarknob View Post
    You guys are wrong. Akroma stays in play here is the relevant rule.

212.4k If an effect attempts to attach an Aura in play to a permanent or player, that permanent or player must be able to be enchanted by it. If the permanent or player can’t be, the Aura doesn’t move.
    Hmm, I did not see rule 212.4k. It appears I was wrong.

Old School
    Jan 2004

You guys are not understanding the problem.

502.7c A permanent with protection can't be enchanted by Auras that have the stated quality. Such Auras attached to the permanent with protection will be put into their owners' graveyards as a state-based effect. (See rule 420, "State-Based Effects.")

What I believe is happening is that Animate Dead attaches to Akroma to fulfill the abilities of Animate Dead. Remember Attaching doesn't target. It is at this point in time that SBE are checked not before when you are in the middle of resolving Animate Dead
    Last edited by Watcher487; 08-28-2006 at 02:56 PM.
    Team Albany

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

If this is true than Animate Dead targets twice or attaching targets... which neither happens in the first place.

Yes you follow as much as the instructions give you but as per SBE (thank you Quicksilver) it is not checked in the middle of resolving a spell (This is how you get Akroma's Pro-black kick in) but after the spell is resolved.

Now if what you are considering happens (Akroma is in play w/o Animate Dead) consider what happens with Worldgorger then and the lack of loop you produce.
    First,
    502.7c A permanent with protection can’t be enchanted by Auras that have the stated quality.
    So that seems that the aura doesn't move. Since it clearly states if it is not able to enchant it, the aura does not move. And protection does not allow it to be enchanted.

Worldgorger combo has nothing to do with this. Since worldgorger can be enchanted by it. So worldgorger gets enchanted before the triggered ability to remove your cards from the game even goes onto the stack.

Apr 2006
    Worcester/Boston, MA

If this is true than Animate Dead targets twice or attaching targets... which neither happens in the first place.

Yes you follow as much as the instructions give you but as per SBE (thank you Quicksilver) it is not checked in the middle of resolving a spell (This is how you get Akroma's Pro-black kick in) but after the spell is resolved.

Now if what you are considering happens (Akroma is in play w/o Animate Dead) consider what happens with Worldgorger then and the lack of loop you produce.
    Read the rule that blarknob posted. Animate Dead fails to enchant Akroma, specifically because of that rule. However, it can still attach to Worldgorger Dragon, and Animate Dead finishes resolving before it triggers. That means it leaves play, the key difference between the two situations.

That makes no sense please clarify.

Worldgorger dragon doesn't have protection from black so animate dead attaches to it without a problem.

Short for me, but:

1) Animate Dead comes into play, its ability triggers, targets Akroma and begins resolving.
    2) Animate Dead becomes an aura.
    3) Akroma is put into play. Animate Dead attempts to attach to Akroma but can't, because black objects can't be attached to Akroma.
    4) The ability finishes resolving. State based effects are checked. Animate Dead is put into the graveyard because it's an Aura not attached to something.
    5) Animate Dead's leaves play ability triggers but does nothing since it was never attached to anything.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Over at Star City, the ask the Judge database has a similar question. I am not sure what this ends up meaning...but here is the link.

http://www.starcitygames.com/pages/j...s=Animate+Dead

It is the last question for Animate Dead. I am not sure how that answer compares to the ones up here, or what level that judge is, but a ruling is a ruling.
    InfoNinjas

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by AngryTroll View Post
    It is the last question for Animate Dead. I am not sure how that answer compares to the ones up here, or what level that judge is, but a ruling is a ruling.
    There's a similar question from Saturday School:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/rh91

The second question under General/Older Card Questions. Seems that you can't animate Akroma with Animate Dead.

Sep 2005
    Boston, MA

Actually, the card rules text under gatherer (I looked at Essential Magic):

Different from the original wording that I showed. It may seem subtle, but the wording I had never stated that you attached Animate Dead to the creature, merely that the creature comes into play with Animate Dead attached to it. Perhaps this is the difference if the card ruling has recently changed? If so, it would seem under the new ruling that the trick should work, but that it should fail under the old ruling. Is this correct?

Old School
    Jan 2004

See here is the bigger problem that I have. Local Enchantments were made about a year ago. (Check Animate Dead Errata)

Attach in the Glossary of the Core Rules hasn't changed since that change but I haven't heard of Rule 212.4k til now. And considering that this little combo wasn't in Orlove's Reanimator deck I'm a little bit on the shaky side about if this was in the correct intention to begin with.

I would love to have Crystal Vein still open so I can actually check to see when both the Rule and the Errata on Animate Dead happened but whatever.
    Team Albany

Thread Information