Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maro's sillyness.

Jul 2006
    taxachusettes usa

Maro's sillyness.

Just Teasing – Finally, I'm happy to announce that I've decided to start up an old tradition. Back in “Insider Trading” one of my old Duelist columns, I used to give a hint of the upcoming set by teasing you with a few pieces of information. These little nuggets were almost always incomplete and heavy on the teasing, but readers used to love them. I've had numerous people ask for me to start doing them again (including Scott), so I've decided to play along. Here, my faithful readers, are a few things that you'll find in Time Spiral:

an angel that costs two mana (yes, that angel, and no she's not some wimpy 2/2)
    a female legend that players have been begging us to do for a long time
    a new hermit with a love of tokens and an old keyword (but not the same one)
    a direct damage spell that can do 5 damage for a single red mana
    a new Lotus (oh wait, you've already seen that one)
    a Power Nine card with buyback
    a card with the word “squirrel” in its rules text
    a legend who uttered one of the most popular lines of flavor text of all time
    and a cycle of artifact mana sources that turn into creatures from the Reserved List
    And finally, a few juicy card names for you to chew on:

Liege of the Pit
    Magus of the Candelabra
    Stuffy Doll
    Vesuvan Shapeshifter
    Wheel of Fate

A power nine card with buyback? There is so much speculation on this, it's not even funny. We already have a power 9 with suspend , (lotus blossom) and it sucks so what's that tell ya?

Wheel of Fate? Does it sound red to you? Fate part is interesting. Thank god it's not a coin flip card, coin = 0 in the OOI. (Orb of insight)

Stuffy Doll? Is that like Little Girl?

Liege of the Pit, another Timmy card.

Magus of the Candelbra, hmmmmmmmmmmmm is all I have for this one.

Vesuvian Shapeshifter, sounds like it'll have a "twist" based on the doppleganger. I am assuming she? will be a blue card.

Re: Maro's sillyness.

Stuffy Doll's the doll from Rack/Cursed Rack/Black Vise/that card that game swampwalk. Dunno what it'll do; it'll probably get the absolute shit beaten out of it though (maybe prevent all damage dealt to it?).

I'm glad Jaya Ballard's making a comeback (assuming the flavor text is from Incinerate).

The P9 card is either a super-expensive Draw3 or something along the lines of Temporal Cascade. They'll never print a Time Walk/Warp/Stretch with buyback as it would allow decks to accelerate into the mana and easily win.
    "This unholy weapon is obviously intended for Quality Assurance to massacre any creature in their path as quickly as possible." - Planescape: Torment

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by JeremM View Post
    The P9 card is either a super-expensive Draw3.
    Yeah I fully expect it to be like draw three for 6 mana, buyback of 4 or something.

Like whispers of the muse, only more mana and 3 cards drawn.

Are you bringing back Goblin Grenade?

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Im guessing it has Suspend. But for how much? 3 would be playable. As for the flashback power card Im extremely certain that this is a Timewalk. Theres a picture from Gencon where the skeleton looking dudes on Timewalk are pushing a penduelum.
    Now playing real formats.

Banned
    Jun 2006
    Columbus, OH

Time Walk with Buyback is more broken than Scepter-Chanting. If you have the mana to buy it back, you take infinite turns. I promise I wil kick Matt Covatta in the balls the next time I see him if that's printed.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Fortifitakitors View Post

Are you bringing back Goblin Grenade?
    Maybe a reprint of mana clash.

Maybe it's Time Walk with "Buyback - Skip your next turn." But seriously, it could have a life payment as part of its buyback and then it would be a little harder to break it. Would Timetwister with buyback even work since you shuffle your hand? Seems most likely that it's another Whispers of the Muse. Or maybe it has both Suspend and Buyback, then it wouldn't really be broken no matter what it was.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by DampingEngine View Post
    Maybe it's Time Walk with "Buyback - Skip your next turn."
    I'd play this if it were free.

Banned
    Jun 2006
    Columbus, OH

Fortunately, Covatta is going to be at the Columbus Pre-Release. I will personally have write "I am a horrible set designer" all over my playmat ;)

As for P9 with Buyback, it seems like a straight up lie unless it's something bad like:

Ancestral Uncall - U
    Instant
    Discard 3 cards, then draw 3 cards.
    Buyback - Discard a card.

Yeah, that would be nuts in Threshold, and Tog, and a lot of Vintage decks. I dunno, it's hard to predict.

Jul 2005
    CMU

It doesn't make any sense that it's Ancestral. Concentrate is just as close to being Ancestral as that card is. It makes far more sense that it would be Time Walk with an alternative buyback to make it non-broken. It would be cool to have Timetwister with buyback, but people would get far too confused with the rules most likely (the 'Twister would end up back in your hand).

It would be pretty weak if it was just a draw 3 with buyback. It wouldn't be an instant, they don't do draw 2+ as instant speed any more. So then it would be a Concentrate with buyback, not an Ancestral with buyback.
    If you rearrange the letters in Vin Diesel's name, it reveals his credo: "I End Lives."

A Whore's Limit Break Uses Anal
    Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Lego_Army_Man View Post
    I'd play this if it were free.
    Only if it had Storm, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    People arguing about which foil reprint is better is like a Mormon and a Scientologist having a history argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Don't you know that specifics are deadly poison to H. Machinus? They lack the enzymes to digest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    What in the janky gay ninja hell is that 25th place deck?

Banned
    Jun 2006
    Columbus, OH

Time Walk with a life payment is still broken. I mean, do you really want to lose to a 12 year old taking infinite turns because he put Life Burst on a Scepter? In fact, if they do print that, Intuitioning into 3 Life Bursts + Scepter + Time Walk w/ Buyback is my new favorite play.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
    Time Walk with a life payment is still broken. I mean, do you really want to lose to a 12 year old taking infinite turns because he put Life Burst on a Scepter? In fact, if they do print that, Intuitioning into 3 Life Bursts + Scepter + Time Walk w/ Buyback is my new favorite play.
    My god the speculation is rediculous, we are alrady coming out with combos for cards that almost certainly are not goign to be printed. For one it is just guessing that it might be time walk, then adding buyback on it for some reason, then having the buyback cost be life, then coming up with a crazy combo of intuition+lifeburst+scepter+card that doesn't exist! For all we know it could be a reprint of gilded lotus!

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    then adding buyback on it for some reason
    Quote Originally Posted by to1701 View Post
    Here, my faithful readers, are a few things that you'll find in Time Spiral:

a Power Nine card with buyback

Jun 2005
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    My god the speculation is rediculous, we are alrady coming out with combos for cards that almost certainly are not goign to be printed. For one it is just guessing that it might be time walk, then adding buyback on it for some reason, then having the buyback cost be life, then coming up with a crazy combo of intuition+lifeburst+scepter+card that doesn't exist! For all we know it could be a reprint of gilded lotus!
    Maro said that there will be a P9 card with buyback in Time Spiral. Reading the thread is svgtek.

Edit: LAM beat me to it.
    Belcher, RUG Delver, Death & Taxes, Colorless Eldrazi, Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose
    Fuck you ^_^

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

I have a feeling we may see an overcosted Timetwister effect as the buyback spell. "Wheel of Fate" has me thinking this way.
    Monday Night Magic: http://rfimd2000.tripod.com/images/mnm/mondaynight.htm

Team
    Left
    Field

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Ok sorry, but still, there was quite a bit of speculation going on.

Jun 2005
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    I have a feeling we may see an overcosted Timetwister effect as the buyback spell. "Wheel of Fate" has me thinking this way.
    That can't happen because 'shuffles' doesn't show up in the orb.

We also have this to support 'time walk' as the buyback card. http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...5&d=1155342370
    Belcher, RUG Delver, Death & Taxes, Colorless Eldrazi, Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose
    Fuck you ^_^

I hope the buyback Time Walk (assuming that's what the art's for) sucks. I was always a huge fan of the original art, but could never get the money to buy one, much less slice one up for deckboxes. If it sucks I could blow a few bucks on it and have some great art.

Speaking of art, are the old artists like Richard Thomas and Amy Weber coming back to do more of their most famous art (Rack Doll/Stonehenge Skeletons), or is it done by the new team?
    "This unholy weapon is obviously intended for Quality Assurance to massacre any creature in their path as quickly as possible." - Planescape: Torment

Thread Information