Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LMF and the community input

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

LMF and the community input

I noticed today that Deadguy Ale and Rifter are no longer in the Legacy Metagame Forums. This is more than expected but I was wondering why no decks replaced their spots. Rifter and Ale were quickly added for their MINOR success. By now IGGy Pop and Angel Stompy have more than proved their worth in the legacy metagame. You can certainly argue the same for some other decks as well. I know it seems to be the Legacy Adepts place to work these things out. But this is our community here on the source. This is our community metagame. I think the non legacy adepts need a place to push these decks into the golden forum.
    Now playing real formats.

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

Re: LMF and the community input

I also feel the need for a more open discussion about which decks belong in the LMF. Although the adepts have (been) proven to know what they are talking about when it comes to the Legacy metagame, creating a elite group of players who deceide which decks are good will only lead to stagnation.

Look at Vintage, where a small group of players have to deceide which decks and cardchoises are good, who flame people for making controverial decks/cardchoises, and after that use the deck/cardchoises themself and take all the credit for it.

I am not saying this happends in Legacy, in fact I believe we have the most transparent format when it comes to sharing tech and idea's. However, letting a small group of people deceide what is good, can never be healty for our format. People who play the format longer and have been putting up good results at the same time, will think more conservative when it comes to seeing a deck as good (enough for the LMF).

I still wonder why Golden Grahams never has been in the LMF, it placed top 8 in both GP's, and it did very well in other big tournaments. Deadguy's Ale was added to the list the moment it placed second at the GP, while everyone agreed the deck is just bad (event the adepts).

I would really see decks like Angel Stompy, Iggy Pop and Golden Grahams in the LMF, the decks are good, they have a pretty much overall agreed decklist, and the decks have been proven to be able to win a medium/large tournament.

As for the community intut, I think other source members should have a voice in promoting a deck to LMF. The votes of adepts should still count a lot (like 3x a normal vote), I still believe a adept should have more power of these decisions over a regular member.

Either this, or some new adepts should be installed. Which decision is not important, just make sure there is some fresh blood among the decisionmakers.

PS. sorry for the enlish, but when I got a lot to say (doesn't happen that often), my spelling and grammar suffers from it.
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

Leroy Rochester
    Jun 2004
    Cabrini–Green

Quote Originally Posted by atwa2002 View Post
    Although the adepts have (been) proven to know what they are talking about when it comes to the Legacy metagame, creating a elite group of players who deceide which decks are good will only lead to stagnation.
    Especially since many of the adepts no longer play, or are not regularly active.
    My only dream is that yours never come true.
    "People played violin as the Titanic sank. Tomorrow they will play Green Day songs with plastic keytars as their Hoovervilles burn."

...at that moment I was a marine biologist.
    Nov 2003
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Especially since many of the adepts no longer play, or are not regularly active.
    This is a blatant lie. =D

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Quote Originally Posted by Afro View Post
    This is a blatant lie. =D
    Oh the lies..

http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3765

Haven't played in decades

Jun 2004
    VA, the kindler, gentler center of MTG critique

Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    A blatant blatant lie. There are a few adepts that don't play big tournaments any more because of changes in our social lives (we still play at times though) but for the most part the adepts, especially those that voice a large opinion about LMF decks are those who play in nearly every major tournament.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges
    You're retarded. I'm not insulting you, I'm just telling the truth: You have 24 chromasomes.

Old School
    Jan 2004
    Rotterdam, NY otherwise known as the 1.5 Capital

Quote Originally Posted by CavernNinja View Post
    A blatant blatant lie. There are a few adepts that don't play big tournaments any more because of changes in our social lives (we still play at times though) but for the most part the adepts, especially those that voice a large opinion about LMF decks are those who play in nearly every major tournament.
    And then there are those of us that actually go to the bigger tourneys as regular members but don't get shit for credit from anyone on these boards.

My personal bias behind, we don't need a LMF since the meta is so wide open.

Just take a look at Gencon,
    39 Goblin players = 1 top 8 spot

It's just not worth it to have a forum where people are just going to have to net deck.
    Mythic Rogue Deck Builder
    Team Freshly Baked Crayons
    Team Albany

Dream-Faerie Unicorn
    Apr 2005

Quote Originally Posted by atwa
    Although the adepts have (been) proven to know what they are talking about when it comes to the Legacy metagame, creating a elite group of players who deceide which decks are good will only lead to stagnation.
    It's not like that at all, there's a whole lot of number crunching going on in the adept forums. The whole point of the adept forum is to have discussions beyond the level you can have in the normal forum. It's not like anyone is running around saying "well we can't put burn in because burn sucks."
    My personal bias behind, we don't need a LMF since the meta is so wide open.
    There are decks that you should expect to see and perform well in large tournaments. The LMF is there to better prepare people for these decks, as well as aid in their development.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten View Post
    Can you find the compound nouns in the following sentence?

Hey douche bag! Your girl-friend is a dirty cocksucker. After I gangbanged her in my bedroom, I had to take my sheets to the dry-cleaners.
    Be my pupil on mybrute. It's fun. I swear.

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

You guys should definitely express yourselves, but realize that it is ultimately to little point. Direct quote from Godzilla "You are not living in a democracy" which means that Legacy Adepts have about as much say as everyone else concerning the LMF - some slight advisory role, the ability to point out things, etc. But the decision-making power lies solely with the mods & admins, an elite group indeed.
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Jun 2005
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by My Name Is Scott View Post
    There are decks that you should expect to see and perform well in large tournaments. The LMF is there to better prepare people for these decks, as well as aid in their development.
    But aren't the decks in the LMF widely played partly because they are in the LMF?
    Belcher, RUG Delver, Death & Taxes, Colorless Eldrazi, Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose
    Fuck you ^_^

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by scrumdogg View Post
    You guys should definitely express yourselves, but realize that it is ultimately to little point. Direct quote from Godzilla "You are not living in a democracy" which means that Legacy Adepts have about as much say as everyone else concerning the LMF - some slight advisory role, the ability to point out things, etc. But the decision-making power lies solely with the mods & admins, an elite group indeed.
    Out of curiousity, what alternative do you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
    But aren't the decks in the LMF widely played partly because they are in the LMF?
    Heh--that's one of those "what came first: the chicken or the egg?" kinds of questions. This may be right some of the time; but this is also wrong a lot of the time too.
    Last edited by Bardo; 09-02-2006 at 12:47 PM.

I'm Jewish!
    Mar 2006
    Arlington, Virginia

How about we basically change the Legacy Metagame Forum from decks that are uber to those that have had SOME tourny success, which means Iggy Pop, Angel Stompy, Landstill, etc. Since most netdeckers are going to check that forum, we might as well add some more decks so as to bring the poor netdeckers some variety.

Combo King Pommes
    Aug 2005
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by atwa2002 View Post
    Either this, or some new adepts should be installed. Which decision is not important, just make sure there is some fresh blood among the decisionmakers.
    Actually, this is not a bad idea. What do you have to do to become an Adept? Create a viable deck? Place well at major tournaments? Write articles about Legacy?

If this is anything close to the real conditions, then some 'basic users' could definitely be 'promoted' to Adept status.
    Sometimes you have to read between the minds.

++ T8ing all over Europe since 2005 ++
    ++ Team aYb - all your base (are belong to us) ++

I'm Jewish!
    Mar 2006
    Arlington, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Preuss View Post
    Actually, this is not a bad idea. What do you have to do to become an Adept? Create a viable deck? Place well at major tournaments? Write articles about Legacy?

If this is anything close to the real conditions, then some 'basic users' could definitely be 'promoted' to Adept status.
    *Cough* IBA and Eldariel *Cough*

Haven't played in decades

Jun 2004
    VA, the kindler, gentler center of MTG critique

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Preuss View Post

It requires basically all of that. In order to become an adept you have to show the ability to create or redefine a deck to become a strong contender (Me, Overlord, Mad Zur and ObFreely - Continue efforts most recently stemming into thresh in it's current forms and numerous top 8 finishes at large events, Quicksilver - RGSA in it's current form again numerous top 8's and wins, Machinus - his continued work on many decks featuring Stax primarily and his strong contributions to legacy on this forum and TMD, IBA - Well he's made more decks than any of us.) The idea is that an adept is someone who can compete and also has shown interest in supporting the advancement of the format and this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges
    You're retarded. I'm not insulting you, I'm just telling the truth: You have 24 chromasomes.

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Out of curiousity, what alternative do you suggest?
    Since I have no say, I don't feel the need to present ideas - unless I have something that I feel is a brilliant solution (I don't) or an idea I feel so strongly that I will rail against wind to promote it (in this case again, I don't).

Heh--that's one of those "what came first: the chicken or the egg?" kinds of questions. This may be right some of the time; but this is also wrong a lot of the time too.
    True, but people DO look at the DTB section here & at TMD/L and that DOES have an effect on the metagame.
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

I'm Jewish!
    Mar 2006
    Arlington, Virginia

Okay, here's the solution: Post everything that is decent and frequently played in the LMF, as you know, those decks are what shape the metagame. It's not called Best Decks in Legacy forum.

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Quote Originally Posted by scrumdogg View Post
    Since I have no say, I don't feel the need to present ideas - unless I have something that I feel is a brilliant solution (I don't) or an idea I feel so strongly that I will rail against wind to promote it (in this case again, I don't).

True, but people DO look at the DTB section here & at TMD/L and that DOES have an effect on the metagame.
    Thats right. Now that there are only 3-4 decks in the LMF Im sure all the net decking vintage players will be in full force tomorrow. Playing in the 10 proxy mana leak with fake resets, piledrivers, pithing needles, fow's and duals.

Have fun playing against thresh all day.

Sep 2005
    New England

The LMF is "decks you should be able to beat if you want to consistently win tournaments."

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by bane_of_the_living View Post
    Thats right. Now that there are only 3-4 decks in the LMF Im sure all the net decking vintage players will be in full force tomorrow. Playing in the 10 proxy mana leak with fake resets, piledrivers, pithing needles, fow's and duals.

Have fun playing against thresh all day.
    As long as I beat Thresh & Solidarity, what do I care? :) You're showing up for this I hope.

Thread Information