Thread: WotC Card Previews

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Re: WotC Card Prieviews

We've got a new one from this article:

Evangelize 4W
    Sorcery (R)
    Buyback 2WW
    Gain control of target creature of an opponent's choice that he or she controls.

Wow, that's bad.

What I'm more interested in though, is the second to last line of the article:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Alongi
    Well, here's the deal. I've already written all about it. But you can't see it for another four turns…which translates into, oh, about a week. Then the article (and the card) will come into play.
    I honestly skimmed, so I have no idea. Any thoughts?
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Time Lord
    Apr 2005
    Syracuse NY

We've got a new preview card (and a half [not a half card, just an incomplete preview]) at Wizards today, which people will probably talk about.

What i got from the preview is that Suspend just got better - it seems you can suspend stuff at any time you have priority:
    Quote Originally Posted by WOTC
    A card with suspend gives you the following ability: As a special action - which means this can only be done when you have priority but doesn't use the stack - you may remove a card with suspend from the game. Because the special action doesn't use the stack, it cannot be responded to. This means it cannot be countered or manipulated in any way. Also note that targets aren't chosen yet. You then pay the suspend cost and add the appropriate number of time counters. At the beginning of each of your upkeeps, you'll remove a time counter. When the last counter comes off, you must play it, although you do not pay the mana cost. It is at this time that targets for the spell are chosen and that the opponent has a chance to respond to it. This is the point where you are allowed to counter it or manipulate it in some way. If the spell was a creature, it gains haste when played, meaning it can attack the turn it comes into play.
    This means that you can suspend cards during your opponent's turn. This makes the new Lotus Watchamacallit just a smidge better for sure, and means that suspend might actually be useful in control decks (EOT suspend).

Quote Originally Posted by Drathro View Post
    We've got a new preview card (and a half [not a half card, just an incomplete preview]) at Wizards today, which people will probably talk about.

What i got from the preview is that Suspend just got better - it seems you can suspend stuff at any time you have priority:

This means that you can suspend cards during your opponent's turn. This makes the new Lotus Watchamacallit just a smidge better for sure, and means that suspend might actually be useful in control decks (EOT suspend).
    That is not correct.
    From the official rules at the bottom of the page
    502.59. Suspend

502.59a Suspend is a keyword that represents three abilities. The first is a static ability that functions while the card with suspend is in a player's hand. The second and third are triggered abilities that function in the removed-from-the-game zone. "Suspend N--[cost]" means "If you could play this card from your hand, you may pay [cost] and remove it from the game with N time counters on it. This action doesn't use the stack," and "At the beginning of your upkeep, if this card is suspended, remove a time counter from it," and "When the last time counter is removed from this card, if it's removed from the game, play it without paying its mana cost if able. If you can't, it remains removed from the game. If you play it this way and it's a creature, it gains haste until you lose control of it."

* The phrase "if you could play this card from your hand" checks only for timing restrictions and permissions. This includes both what's inherent in the card's type (for example, if the card with suspend is a creature, it must be your main phase and the stack must be empty) and what's imposed by other abilities, such as flash or Meddling Mage's ability. Whether you could actually follow all steps in playing the card is irrelevant. If the card is impossible to play due to a lack of legal targets or an unpayable mana cost, for example, it may still be removed from the game with suspend.

Time Lord
    Apr 2005
    Syracuse NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    That is not correct.
    From the official rules at the bottom of the page
    502.59. Suspend

502.59a Suspend is a keyword that represents three abilities. The first is a static ability that functions while the card with suspend is in a player's hand. The second and third are triggered abilities that function in the removed-from-the-game zone. "Suspend N--[cost]" means "If you could play this card from your hand, you may pay [cost] and remove it from the game with N time counters on it. This action doesn't use the stack," and "At the beginning of your upkeep, if this card is suspended, remove a time counter from it," and "When the last time counter is removed from this card, if it's removed from the game, play it without paying its mana cost if able. If you can't, it remains removed from the game. If you play it this way and it's a creature, it gains haste until you lose control of it."
    This is what I originally thought, but I didn't realize there were official rules hiding at the end of the article. In that case, Rosewater just did a crappy job of introducing Suspend, and I read half an article, when I should have read the fine print.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

As for today's puzzle card. I'm pretty sure I got the main part of the card. I didn't bother with most of it but I'm pretty sure it is a legendary creature with converted mana cost 7 or greater that has "Whenever you play a creature spell, put X 1/1 Thrulls into play where x is that creatures converted mana cost. When there are 7 or more thrulls in play sacrifice him." Doesn't seem very good since he costs a fortune and requires you to cast other creatures, making him sub par in reanimator even.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    As for today's puzzle card. I'm pretty sure I got the main part of the card. I didn't bother with most of it but I'm pretty sure it is a legendary creature with converted mana cost 7 or greater that has "Whenever you play a creature spell, put X 1/1 Thrulls into play where x is that creatures converted mana cost. When there are 7 or more thrulls in play sacrifice him." Doesn't seem very good since he costs a fortune and requires you to cast other creatures, making him sub par in reanimator even.
    I think he costs 4 mana, and he's legendary, which is why he dies. 2BB if I'm not mistaken with the ability you described.

Also, he's a 2/2.
    KIDS WITH GUNS!

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
    I think he costs 4 mana, and he's legendary, which is why he dies. 2BB if I'm not mistaken with the ability you described.

Also, he's a 2/2.
    Oh yeah he doesn't have to be 7 mana. I was thinking he does because he dies if you play another one, thinking that the tokens will kill him but the legendary part kills him.

Sep 2005
    Boston, MA

Currently there are two cards I'm looking at, and thinking they could actually be good, and they're both red:

Word of Seizing
    Instant R
    Split second (As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't play spells or activated abilities that aren't mana abilities)
    Untap target permanent and gain control of it until end of turn. It gains haste until end of turn.

Nothing startling, but to sieze anything your opponent has without giving them a chance to do anything just seems like it could be good.

Ignite Memories
    Sorcery U
    Target player reveals a card at random from his or her hand. Ignite memories deals damage to that player equal to that card's converted mana cost.
    Storm (When you play this spell, copy it for each spell played before it this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

An interesting potential storm combo card. Not awesome, but a lot better than tendrils, as it's mono-red, and can potentially do a lot more than tendrils can per storm count. Against decks that run high cc cards (rock and truffle shuffle), it seems like a better choice (especially with seething song and the like).
    Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc
    Thanks for your reply. I believe it is my wording that has made you unpleasant. My fears were something like Angel Stompy ruling Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by tivadar View Post
    An interesting potential storm combo card. Not awesome, but a lot better than tendrils, as it's mono-red, and can potentially do a lot more than tendrils can per storm count. Against decks that run high cc cards (rock and truffle shuffle), it seems like a better choice (especially with seething song and the like).
    The question is, is there a red storm combo deck out there? The advantage of Tendrils is you can go black/blue and have all the same things red and blue would have in terms of draw, but the mana acceleration is cheaper and therefore better.

The card I'm interested in is Phyrexian Totem:

Phyrexian Totem (U)
    Artifact
    Tap: add B to your mana pool.
    2B: ~ becomes a 5/5 black Horror artifact creature with trample until end of turn. Whenever ~ is dealt damage, if it's a creature, sacrifice that mana permanents.

I really like it for Pox as a nice clock and a compliment to Nether Spirit and Chimeric Idol. Getting mana out of it is hawt too, but I really like the "5/5 trample" bit because it's a really fast clock post-Pox. Of course, Negator drawback and 2B to activate hurt it...a lot...

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    The question is, is there a red storm combo deck out there? The advantage of Tendrils is you can go black/blue and have all the same things red and blue would have in terms of draw, but the mana acceleration is cheaper and therefore better.

The card I'm interested in is Phyrexian Totem:

Phyrexian Totem (U)
    Artifact
    Tap: add B to your mana pool.
    2B: ~ becomes a 5/5 black Horror artifact creature with trample until end of turn. Whenever ~ is dealt damage, if it's a creature, sacrifice that mana permanents.

I really like it for Pox as a nice clock and a compliment to Nether Spirit and Chimeric Idol. Getting mana out of it is hawt too, but I really like the "5/5 trample" bit because it's a really fast clock post-Pox. Of course, Negator drawback and 2B to activate hurt it...a lot...
    This card may be a good replacement for Negator in alot of cases. Especially in Pox! He'll be cast safely out of your hand if your opponent taps out but he wont be a target for swords. You have time to peel the removal from your opponents grasp. This card will probably be huge with Mutilate or even Deed under 3. I cant wait to see the red, white, and green totems.
    Now playing real formats.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred View Post

Also, he's a 2/2.
    He could also be 3B, if you count Parallax Dementia as a permanent bonus.

Anyway, his name is Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder. He's on the quote of Derelor. I 'think' his art is #16.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Withering Dark 4B
    Instant
    Destroy target nonblack creature.
    Madness B

What is this? Cheap removal for madness maybe?

Fuck whatcha heard, yo' momma still smokes rocks.
    Jan 2006
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Diablos View Post
    Withering Dark 4B
    Instant
    Destroy target nonblack creature.
    Madness B

What is this? Cheap removal for madness maybe?
    Tog!

I'm Jewish!
    Mar 2006
    Arlington, Virginia

Wow, Tog is a happy camper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Now, how can you be sure it's rape when there's no way to tell if a barnacle is consenting or not? For all we know it was actually two first time lesbian barnacles who signed a release for the footage to be used in the newest installment of Barnacles Gone Wild: Seafoam Splash.

Jul 2005
    CMU

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    He could also be 3B, if you count Parallax Dementia as a permanent bonus.

Anyway, his name is Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder. He's on the quote of Derelor. I 'think' his art is #16.
    No, a solution has been found for 4B. I think that kinda stops his usefulness :\

EDIT: Actually a method has just been found for 5BBB... there are just too many options (the 5BBB is pretty far-fetched, it involves Mycosynth Golem and 11 0cc artifacts). It all depends on what Jeff Till decided to use really. I don't think a definitive mana cost will be shown until Wednesday.
    Last edited by Drkdstryer; 09-11-2006 at 10:04 PM.
    If you rearrange the letters in Vin Diesel's name, it reveals his credo: "I End Lives."

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

B/u/g MadnessLoamAggroTog got a nice tool.

Today's card: Wheel of Fate. Suspend 4 - 1R (no actual casting cost), each player discards their hand and draws seven. So...it's a great way for burn to refill its hand late game to go for that final push, but beyond that, I don't see it having much use. A lot of decks that could play this card kinda want to, you know, do something on turn two. Like, something other than play a spell that won't actually be useful for another four turns. That said, will this see any play in Legacy? It's a great effect...

Quote Originally Posted by bane_of_the_living
    Especially in Pox! He'll be cast safely out of your hand if your opponent taps out but he wont be a target for swords. You have time to peel the removal from your opponents grasp.
    Yeah, that's my reaction too. It's too bad I won't be able to play it this weekend when I take Pox to my local Legacy tournament...which reminds me, someone should bump that Pox thread.

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Yeah, that's my reaction too. It's too bad I won't be able to play it this weekend when I take Pox to my local Legacy tournament...which reminds me, someone should bump that Pox thread.
    Is your recent list on there? You could bump with your list update.

Edit: Or PM your list, I enjoy Pox updates. That way it's not really unneccesarilly bumping it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

I'm Jewish!
    Mar 2006
    Arlington, Virginia

I'll say it: Suspend fucking blows. Sure, it'll be interesting in Standard Constructed, but, in formats with larger card pools like Legacy and Vintage, there's so much mana generation that trading tempo so as to spend less mana is a death wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Now, how can you be sure it's rape when there's no way to tell if a barnacle is consenting or not? For all we know it was actually two first time lesbian barnacles who signed a release for the footage to be used in the newest installment of Barnacles Gone Wild: Seafoam Splash.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkshineKnight View Post
    I'll say it: Suspend fucking blows. Sure, it'll be interesting in Standard Constructed, but, in formats with larger card pools like Legacy and Vintage, there's so much mana generation that trading tempo so as to spend less mana is a death wish.
    Agreed, suspened is not a Legacy mechanic at all and probably will not show up in any competitive legacy decks. It's not for us, let's just ignore it instead of complaining about it. However abilities like split second are for us, we just need them to put it on a good card.

Thread Information