Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: WotC Card Previews

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

Re: WotC Card Prieviews

You mean like the red one that steals one of your Solidarity opponents islands? That seems pretty cool with any sort of mana accel. As for suspend, it seems to suck serious ass, but someone will put together a combo-control deck that sets up and does seriously anti-social things on Turn 6-7, watch & see.
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

I'm Jewish!
    Mar 2006
    Arlington, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    Agreed, suspened is not a Legacy mechanic at all and probably will not show up in any competitive legacy decks. It's not for us, let's just ignore it instead of complaining about it. However abilities like split second are for us, we just need them to put it on a good card.
    Split Second AND Flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Now, how can you be sure it's rape when there's no way to tell if a barnacle is consenting or not? For all we know it was actually two first time lesbian barnacles who signed a release for the footage to be used in the newest installment of Barnacles Gone Wild: Seafoam Splash.

I'm Jewish!
    Mar 2006
    Arlington, Virginia

Okay, so we knew about Magus of the Jar and Magus of the Mirror from over at MTGSalvation, but Wizards decided to drop this guy on us:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mf111

Magus of the Disk
    2WW
    Creature - Human Wizard
    Magus of the Disk comes into play tapped.
    1, Tap: Destroy all artifacts, creatures, and enchantments.
    2/4

The fact that this guy is going to be in Standard as Loxodon Heirarch is rediculous. O_o

Anyhoo, it's Nevinyrral's Disk turned into a creature.
    Now, how can you be sure it's rape when there's no way to tell if a barnacle is consenting or not? For all we know it was actually two first time lesbian barnacles who signed a release for the footage to be used in the newest installment of Barnacles Gone Wild: Seafoam Splash.

Dec 2003
    Dallas Tx, but originally from San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkshineKnight View Post
    Okay, so we knew about Magus of the Jar and Magus of the Mirror from over at MTGSalvation, but Wizards decided to drop this guy on us:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mf111

Magus of the Disk
    2WW
    Creature - Human Wizard
    Magus of the Disk comes into play tapped.
    1, Tap: Destroy all artifacts, creatures, and enchantments.
    2/4

The fact that this guy is going to be in Standard as Loxodon Heirarch is rediculous. O_o

Anyhoo, it's Nevinyrral's Disk turned into a creature.

Okay, so we're going to have a set of creatures that sacrifice to mimic an artfact ability

Blue = Memory Jar
    Black = Mirror Universe
    White = Nevinyrral's Disk
    Green = ??? Sword of the Ages maybe? I would think Coat of Arms, but it doesn't sacrifice, and wouldn't have a permanent effect. SOTA is the only thing I could think of that is Green'ish
    Red = ?? Wow, I have no idea...

It looks like the same thing for the Suspend cards with no casting cost:

Red = Wheel of Fortune
    Artifact = Black Lotus
    Blue = ?? Although there is a pic floating around that looks a lot like Ancestral
    White = ?? Perhaps Balance? I mean.. Balance would't be AS broke if you saw it coming.. not the same as windmilling if off the top of your deck to stop the horde of creatures staring you down next turn.
    Black = ?? Demonic Tutor (drools), Mind Twist, perhaps?
    Green = ?? Perhaps Fastbond or Channel?
    Last edited by Ophidian; 09-14-2006 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    Okay, so we're going to have a set of creatures that sacrifice to mimic an artfact ability

Blue = Memory Jar
    Black = Mirror Universe
    White = Nevinyrral's Disk

Green = ??? Sword of the Ages maybe? I would think Coat of Arms, but it doesn't sacrifice, and wouldn't have a permanent effect. SOTA is the only thing I could think of that is Green'ish
    My educated guess is Candelabra of Tawnos.

Red = ?? Wow, I have no idea...
    Cursed Scroll?

Magus of the Disk is incredibly good. I don't know if it can be accomodated in this format, but it is not only a threat, it's also a resiliant blocker that makes an opponent overcommit by itself. Man, what a great card.
    KIDS WITH GUNS!

Dec 2003
    Dallas Tx, but originally from San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by atv View Post
    My educated guess is Candelabra of Tawnos.

Cursed Scroll?

I had considered Scroll (Candy never crossed my mind) But the vibe I got from the cards is that they all require a sacrifice---At least so far, all of the Magus' (Magi?) do.

But the vibe I got from the cards is that they all require a sacrifice---At least so far, all of the Magus' (Magi?) do.
    You don't actually have to sacrifice Magus of the Disk. Like the card it's modeled after, it only dies because of the wrath effect. So it's possible to bounce it back to hand or regenerate it.

I had considered Scroll (Candy never crossed my mind) But the vibe I got from the cards is that they all require a sacrifice---At least so far, all of the Magus' (Magi?) do.
    We also know from one of the wallpaper puzzles on the Time Spiral minisite that there's a Magus of the Scroll, with a heavy red background. Also, the blue and black magi are modeled after artifacts that also required themselves to be sacrificed as part of their cost. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if the Cursed Sroll-esque magus didn't require a sacrifice.

As for Magus of the Disk, finally I have a use for That Which Was Taken in casual!

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    As for Magus of the Disk, finally I have a use for That Which Was Taken in casual!
    Not really a combo. The magus will destory the "That which was taken", and without it, the divinity counter does not make it indestructible. Better to have the origional disk and that artifact that makes all artifacts indestructible.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    Not really a combo. The magus will destory the "That which was taken", and without it, the divinity counter does not make it indestructible. Better to have the origional disk and that artifact that makes all artifacts indestructible.
    >.>

<.<

Oops. I forgot That Which Was Taken can't put counters on itself. Yeah, you're right. Okay, I still haven't found a use for that pile in casual. Way to ruin my day, thanks.

Old School
    Jan 2004
    Rotterdam, NY otherwise known as the 1.5 Capital

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    >.>

<.<

Oops. I forgot That Which Was Taken can't put counters on itself. Yeah, you're right. Okay, I still haven't found a use for that pile in casual. Way to ruin my day, thanks.
    Well if you had a March of the Machines and 2 Opalesences it would work after you put counters on all of them (5 total) But your better off putting a Vanishing on him and with the effect on the stack Phase him out. (AKA the old Disk trick)
    Mythic Rogue Deck Builder
    Team Freshly Baked Crayons
    Team Albany

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Am I the only one that's pretty excited about Paradox Haze?

Paradox Haze 2U
    Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant Player
    At the beginning of enchanted player's first upkeep each turn, that player gets an additional upkeep after this step.

Just from looking at it, it seems like this card is begging to have a Stax deck build around it (like we need another one ). Or something abusing Tangle Wire. You tap 8, I tap 3, you tap 6, I tap 2.....it can get pretty sick.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Banned
    Jun 2004
    Blacksburg

Am I the only one that's pretty excited about Paradox Haze?

Paradox Haze 2U
    Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant Player
    At the beginning of enchanted player's first upkeep each turn, that player gets an additional upkeep after this step.

Just from looking at it, it seems like this card is begging to have a Stax deck build around it (like we need another one ). Or something abusing Tangle Wire. You tap 8, I tap 3, you tap 6, I tap 2.....it can get pretty sick.
    Why not a Stax list running Stax, Wire, and a bunch of other good shit, Braids?

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

This card is the very definition of win-more in Stax. It literally only helps when you're already winning.

Banned
    Jun 2004
    Blacksburg

Or it might give Stax the speed it has been longing for.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Roopey View Post
    Or it might give Stax the speed it has been longing for.
    Speed has never been the issue. Consistency and adapatability have been. Stax is incredible at beating either Control and Combo, or beating Aggro. But never at the same time. This doesn't help either case, and is only good when you have a loaded Wire or a ramped Stack on the table. If you do, you're generally in a good position anyway. If you don't, it just sits there and wastes three mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nightmare View Post
    Speed has never been the issue. Consistency and adapatability have been. Stax is incredible at beating either Control and Combo, or beating Aggro. But never at the same time. This doesn't help either case, and is only good when you have a loaded Wire or a ramped Stack on the table. If you do, you're generally in a good position anyway. If you don't, it just sits there and wastes three mana.
    Plus it gets completely hosed by Eon Hub.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Eon Hub wrecks it.

I'm a bit of a fan of Quinton Hoover's old art, but the art for Vesuvian Shapeshifter isn't in his old style at all. I understand that artists change style over the years, but Hoover's new look feels far more generic than stuff like the old Doppleganger and such.

(EDIT) I know it's not fully kosher, but can anyone post what the SCG Premium preview card does? I'm curious as hell what the suspend cost of a Draw3 for U is, and what its hardcast cost is.
    Last edited by JeremM; 09-15-2006 at 12:18 AM.
    "This unholy weapon is obviously intended for Quality Assurance to massacre any creature in their path as quickly as possible." - Planescape: Torment

Thread Information