Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mind's Desire and Wheel of Fate

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Mind's Desire and Wheel of Fate

Ok, rules gurus, how do Mind's Desire and Wheel of Fate interact if a Storm copy (or any copy, really) reveals Wheel of Fate?

Wheel of Fate: Today's Preview Card (tomorrows, whatever)
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/aa245
    InfoNinjas

Jul 2005
    CMU

Re: Mind's Desire and Wheel of Fate

No mana cost means you can't play it. Same with Evermind and any other non-land card that doesn't have a mana cost.

I'm sure someone will be able to quote the Comp Rules but that's the quick and dirty answer :>
    If you rearrange the letters in Vin Diesel's name, it reveals his credo: "I End Lives."

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Hmm, the comprehensive rule book is a bit redundant on this ruling.

213.1a An object with no mana cost can’t be played as a spell.
    401.1b An object with no mana cost can’t be played as a spell.
    Two different rules that say exactly the same thing, a little redundant but clear that mind's desire will not let you play spells without a mana cost.

Edit: despite the comp rules being so redundant there is going ot be a rules change regarding this
    There are other, more minor rules bits you may be interested in – for example, the rules about playing objects with no mana costs are changing so that suspend is possible. It's technical stuff and 90 percent of players probably will never need to worry about it. But take a gander at the more specific rules documents, if you want to know more.
    So although you cannot play cards with no mana cost at the moment with mind's desire, that may change soon.
    Last edited by quicksilver; 09-12-2006 at 12:58 PM.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

While it's true that, according to Evermind, spells without mana costs can't be played, there's a slight paradox here, and I'd be willing to bet that gets changed. Consider the following:

When you remove the last, play it without paying its mana cost

That's part of the Suspend mechanic.

Until end of turn, you may play that card without paying its mana cost.

That's off of Mind's Desire.

So my question is this.

If you can't play Wheel of Fate off of Mind's Desire, and spells without mana costs can't be played, how can you play Wheel of Fate off of its own Suspend?

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Haven't played in decades

Jun 2004
    VA, the kindler, gentler center of MTG critique

Under current rulings it can't. They are releasing an update to the rules with Cold snap.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges
    You're retarded. I'm not insulting you, I'm just telling the truth: You have 24 chromasomes.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by CavernNinja View Post
    Under current rulings it can't. They are releasing an update to the rules with Cold snap.
    Jeez, try playing magic once in a while, time spiral is the set getting released, cold snap is already out.

And yes at this current moment, not a combo, however once time spiral gets released it might work.

Oct 2003
    Muskegon, Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    Jeez, try playing magic once in a while, time spiral is the set getting released, cold snap is already out.

And yes at this current moment, not a combo, however once time spiral gets released it might work.
    I hope to god it dosn't work. There would be no other deck to play in extened than mind's Desire then... :(
    Still kickin' it combo school.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Just to clarify:

No, you cannot play Evermind, Wheel of Fate, or Lotus Bloom for free when revealed with Mind's Desire. This is because they have no mana cost and spells with no mana cost cannot be played.

There is currently a rules glitch regarding how you would then be able to play Suspend spells at all. This will be corrected to allow suspend spells to be played, but only when they have been suspended. The rules correction will still maintain the interaction with Desire.

Jan 2006
    Chesapeake, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    While it's true that, according to Evermind, spells without mana costs can't be played, there's a slight paradox here, and I'd be willing to bet that gets changed. Consider the following:

When you remove the last, play it without paying its mana cost

That's part of the Suspend mechanic.

Until end of turn, you may play that card without paying its mana cost.

That's off of Mind's Desire.

So my question is this.

If you can't play Wheel of Fate off of Mind's Desire, and spells without mana costs can't be played, how can you play Wheel of Fate off of its own Suspend?
    I was going to say that I thought it was unlikely that it would work, even post--rules-change. However, given this, I think it's more likely that you will be allowed to play spells without a mana cost, if you are instucted to play them "without paying the mana cost".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Once Solidarity resolves a Meditate the most productive thing you can do with Orim's Chant is to find a nearby tophat and try to toss the Orim's Chant into it to amuse yourself while your opponent finishes his combo.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by parallax View Post
    I was going to say that I thought it was unlikely that it would work, even post--rules-change. However, given this, I think it's more likely that you will be allowed to play spells without a mana cost, if you are instucted to play them "without paying the mana cost".
    That seems kind of likely. I briefly scanned the possibilities of what to do with Evermind in that situation, but failed to come up with anything useful.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    That seems kind of likely. I briefly scanned the possibilities of what to do with Evermind in that situation, but failed to come up with anything useful.
    I'm inclined to agree with Mr. Nightmare here. Although we really don't need any more debate on this issue as we can just wait until Wizards releases the official wording, I'd lean towards these spells not being playable with Mind's Desire. Lotus Bloom can still be played with Eureka though :)

Jan 2006
    Chesapeake, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nightmare View Post
    Just to clarify:

No, you cannot play Evermind, Wheel of Fate, or Lotus Bloom for free when revealed with Mind's Desire. This is because they have no mana cost and spells with no mana cost cannot be played.

There is currently a rules glitch regarding how you would then be able to play Suspend spells at all. This will be corrected to allow suspend spells to be played, but only when they have been suspended. The rules correction will still maintain the interaction with Desire.
    How do you know this? Are you a Wizards spy?

Anyway, I can easily see it going either way. How about we don't ask rules questions about cards that haven't been released yet? It's just asking for trouble.
    Once Solidarity resolves a Meditate the most productive thing you can do with Orim's Chant is to find a nearby tophat and try to toss the Orim's Chant into it to amuse yourself while your opponent finishes his combo.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Here is Mark Rosewater's Time Spiral Rules Primer:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/rules/tsp

I think this is the most relative part:
    If there’s a way to play such a card without paying its mana cost, then it can be played as a spell. This is possible if an effect allows it to be played "without paying its mana cost" (such as suspend or Spelljack do, for example), or if an effect allows it to be played for an alternative cost (such as Fist of Suns does, for example).
    Unless I am mistaken, that means that Wheel of Fate is now INCREDIBLE with Mind's Desire. Or not going to be Extended Legal.
    InfoNinjas

Phasing, cumulative upkeep, echo, fading, flanking, rampage
    Jul 2004
    Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by AngryTroll View Post
    Here is Mark Rosewater's Time Spiral Rules Primer:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/rules/tsp

I think this is the most relative part:

Unless I am mistaken, that means that Wheel of Fate is now INCREDIBLE with Mind's Desire. Or not going to be Extended Legal.
    I am reading it the same way. Especially since it mentions Spelljack, which allows you to play the spell without paying its mana cost. Mind's Desire is now even more busted than ever.
    Old Fogey

You're not just wrong, rules say you're a dick!

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I saw that ruling and already started playing around with temporal aperatures. Woo hoo!

Banned
    Jun 2004
    Blacksburg

Something will be banned, I doubt they will let Desire have Wheel and Recall just because.

Jan 2006
    Chesapeake, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Roopey View Post
    Something will be banned, I doubt they will let Desire have Wheel and Recall just because.
    But aren't Wheel and Visions just horrible cards if you actually draw them? I mean, they're only good if you've already resolved Mind's Desire for a good amount.

Banned
    Jun 2004
    Blacksburg

Quote Originally Posted by parallax View Post
    But aren't Wheel and Visions just horrible cards if you actually draw them? I mean, they're only good if you've already resolved Mind's Desire for a good amount.
    True, but it also means that you pretty much can't fizzle.

On another note, I really hope the other cards in the set are sorceries as well, this seems slightly broken with Scepter.

I'm Jewish!
    Mar 2006
    Arlington, Virginia

Oh God. Yeah, Mind's Desire is never going to get off the Legacy banned list now. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Now, how can you be sure it's rape when there's no way to tell if a barnacle is consenting or not? For all we know it was actually two first time lesbian barnacles who signed a release for the footage to be used in the newest installment of Barnacles Gone Wild: Seafoam Splash.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

This kind of makes me want to play extended....I mean, Iggy and Solidarity are great...but who doesn't want to play Mind's Desire and flip Ancestral Recall(s!!) and a Wheel of Fortune? Rediculously awesome.
    InfoNinjas

Thread Information