Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mind's Desire and Wheel of Fate

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

Re: Mind's Desire and Wheel of Fate

Under the rules detailed in Maro's article, Desire is stupid in Extended.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    Under the rules detailed in Maro's article, Desire is stupid in Extended.
    I think we can all agree that desire is stupid in general and should never have been printed. After all playing spells for free has traditionally been a strong machanic in magic. And what could be stupider than a spell that lets you play spells for free in mass, and without any extra mana for more free spells. Yeah, don't know how they couldn't see this one coming.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    I think we can all agree that desire is stupid in general and should never have been printed. After all playing spells for free has traditionally been a strong machanic in magic. And what could be stupider than a spell that lets you play spells for free in mass, and without any extra mana for more free spells. Yeah, don't know how they couldn't see this one coming.
    MTG Article
    We realized late in design that storm fit nicely with the high mana requirements of the set. Other mechanics encourage big spells. Storm encourages big turns. With storm cards you want to hang on to your other spells and wait for the critical moment to play as many spells as possible in one colossal turn. This works especially well with all the cards that help you get lots of mana. Mind's Desire is a little different from the other storm cards because its effect allows you to play extra cards for no cost, effectively counting double for further storm cards. Development lost some sleep over this one, but in the end they decided to just bump up the mana cost and let it go.
    See, they lost sleep about it. Until they decided six mana was the right mana cost for winning the game. Now don't you feel bad quicksilver, they disrupted their sleep patterns to try to make this card fair and balanced and you deride their efforts.
    Some of them might have lost so much sleep that they were later forced to take naps, but we will never hear about those sacrifices.

Two days after that article, BDM was talking about how busted Mind's Desire could be.

So maybe BDM should be in development he seemed to pick up on what they didn't.
    Plus he appears well rested.

Small Eyed Unicorn
    Mar 2006
    RoChEsTa

Dave Price... are you alive?????
    Team Unicorn- "I'm Horny."

"The Wandering One" of Legacy.

"Glimmervoid, Go."

Uhm, until now I was sure you couldn't play an imprinted Evermind out of an isochron scepter (there was a discussion in a german forum and several judges agreed to that). So I wondered when I first saw the new Ancestral, recognizing it beeing a sorcery. I was sure it wouldn't even make sense to imprint it, since you couldn't play it. But if thats untrue, the card beeing sorcery makes sense. We will see it. Mind's Desire has been banned even before it was tournament legal, right? This could also happen on extended, before Time Spiral becomes tournament legal.

Phasing, cumulative upkeep, echo, fading, flanking, rampage
    Jul 2004
    Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by nupert View Post
    Uhm, until now I was sure you couldn't play an imprinted Evermind out of an isochron scepter (there was a discussion in a german forum and several judges agreed to that). So I wondered when I first saw the new Ancestral, recognizing it beeing a sorcery. I was sure it wouldn't even make sense to imprint it, since you couldn't play it. But if thats untrue, the card beeing sorcery makes sense. We will see it. Mind's Desire has been banned even before it was tournament legal, right? This could also happen on extended, before Time Spiral becomes tournament legal.
    Banned/Restricted announcement for September has no changes to any format. That being the case, Mind's Desire will be legal in Extended until at least next year. I doubt that they would have an emergency banning of Desire because of Suspend cards until they have been proven to be degenerate. R&D actually tests in the extended environment, as well ast standard, although they usually ignore legacy.
    Old Fogey

You're not just wrong, rules say you're a dick!

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...362#nomanacost

It seems that playing Wheel of Fate with Mind's Desire works just fine. The rules no longer say that you can't play a card without a mana cost, simply that a nonexistent mana cost cannot be paid. If you're playing it without trying to pay that nonexistent cost, you're all set.

Thread Information