Thread: Infernal Contract + Nefarious Lich/Lich

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

Infernal Contract + Nefarious Lich/Lich

If I have a Nefarious Lich in play and I'm at 10 life, can I play an Infernal Contract and pay 5 life without having to remove cards from my graveyard? I assume you can just pay 5 life because life loss is different from damage. I just want to make sure.

I also assume you can play an Infernal Contract with Lich in play without any drawbacks whatsoever. Correct me if I'm wrong. thanx ahead of time.

P.S. - Those two questions are regarding two different cards, don't get it confused. Lich and Nefarious Lich.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Re: Infernal Contract + Nefarious Lich/Lich

Nefarious Lich does not replace the life loss of Infernal Contract. Life loss is not damage (although damage is life loss, damage being a specific kind of life loss). The Nefarious Lich only replaces damage which infernal contract does not do.

Banned
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    Nefarious Lich does not replace the life loss of Infernal Contract. Life loss is not damage (although damage is life loss, damage being a specific kind of life loss). The Nefarious Lich only replaces damage which infernal contract does not do.
    Sweet, so I can cast an Infernal Contract with a Nefarious Lich in play without any drawbacks other than loss of life?

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Sweet, so I can cast an Infernal Contract with a Nefarious Lich in play without any drawbacks other than loss of life?
    yes

Banned
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    yes
    I got another question for you bro. Can you basically cast an Infernal Contract with the originial Lich without any drawbacks whatsoever? I assume you can always pay zero life then be at zero life and not lose the game because of the Lich's effect. I just want to make sure.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    I got another question for you bro. Can you basically cast an Infernal Contract with the originial Lich without any drawbacks whatsoever? I assume you can always pay zero life then be at zero life and not lose the game because of the Lich's effect. I just want to make sure.
    From Gatherer:
    10/4/2004 You can't pay life, just like any player at less than one life can't pay life. You can pay zero life if you want.

10/4/2004 You can lose life and take damage, and thereby have a negative life total, while Lich is in play.

Therefore, at 0 life, you lose half, rounded up, or 0 life. Draw four, killer.
    Related: You can't Fetch with a Polluted Delta or other fetchland, and you have to pay 3UU for Force of Will.

Thread Information