Thread: Nullstone Gargoyle Discrepency

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Nullstone Gargoyle Discrepency

I have out a Goblin Welder and a Nullstone Gargoyle.. We can refer to him as Gargoyle A.

Its my opponents turn. They play a Swords to Plowshares, targeting Welder. Gargoyle A says, "F off." Swords is countered.

I tap Welder, sacrifice Gargoyle A for Gargoyle B who was sitting in my graveyard.

My opponent plays another Swords to Plowshares. Now... Does Gargoyle B see this as the first non-creature spell played this turn? Will he counter it? Or will Gargoyle B see this as the second non-creature spell played this turn?

I assume Gargoyle B see's this as the first non-creature spell since he wasnt around to 'mark' the first one as played. I've played it this way several times, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks in advance as always guys.
    Now playing real formats.

I aim to misbehave

Sep 2005
    NYC...ish.

Re: Nullstone Gargoyle Discrepency

This is all happening in the same turn, right? Then seeing as Gargoyle A countered Swords #1, it can't do anything about Swords 2. Gargoyle A gets plowed, and because one of the targets isn't legal the swap is countered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    A "limited player" is a player with a mental handicap and is thus "limited"
    A "legacy player" is an old player that may or may not be senile.

Both require the use of diapers.

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

I should have been more specific. He's not targeting the Gargoyle. It doesnt even need to be swords. Im just asking if Gargoyle B will counter spell B.
    Now playing real formats.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

No. It won't trigger to counter the swords.

10/1/2005 (From the official Ravnica FAQ) Nullstone Gargoyle cares about the first noncreature spell played during a turn, not the first one it "sees." If a noncreature spell was played before Nullstone Gargoyle came into play, it won't counter the next one.

If you really want to dodge STP #2, try instead waiting until he casts the second Swords to Plowshares to activate your Goblin Welder. This will switch out Gargoyle A for Gargoyle B, while the poor confused Swords to Plowshares can't figure out where Gargoyle A went and as a result just goes and sulks in your opponent's graveyard.

If he targeted the Welder, however, you're SOL. But you aren't too bad off with a Nullstone Gargoyle in play and two STP's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

Well I went to Gatherer and this is what it said:

10/1/2005 Nullstone Gargoyle cares about the first noncreature spell played during a turn, not the first one it "sees." If a noncreature spell was played before Nullstone Gargoyle came into play, it won't counter the next one.
    10/1/2005 If another spell is played in response to the first spell, Nullstone Gargoyle doesn't affect that second spell.

So I'm going to have to no the second one does nothing.

Edit:Looks like Taco beat me to it.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

Thread Information