Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little puzzle, would you win if it happened to you?

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

A little puzzle, would you win if it happened to you?

Ok so here is a little puzzle I made up, lets see how good legacy players really are.

Here is the set up:

Your opponent:
    Has 6 islands in play (5 of them tapped), is at 1 life, has no cards in hand, has an ivory mask and an untapped morphling in play, you both know the next card on his library is a counterspell.

You:
    You have 1 mountain (untapped), you are at 3 life, your hand is:
    mountain, chain lightning, basking rootwalla, anger, taiga, naturalize, and mogg fanatic.

It is now your upkeep, during your upkeep your opponent taps his only untapped land to make Mophling untargetable. For your draw step you draw lightning bolt.

How do you win this game?

Here is a hint = If any card in your hand were not there, you could not win.

(Also assume your opponent plays optimally, i.e. there is nothing your opponent could do to stop you no matter how he plays from this point on)

Edit: This has been solved, so if you want to solve it, don't scroll down.
    Last edited by quicksilver; 09-15-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Clay Aiken
    Jun 2005
    Mooshie's Grove

Re: A little puzzle, would you win if it happened to you?

You hope your opponent doesn't make the Morphling fly and attack. You have to play a creature that can block Morphling and Naturalize the Ivory Mask before your opp. draws Counterspell. I fucking hate puzzles. God, I hope you die, Quicksilver. You and MaRo should get together in a cozy log cabin together with hot cocoa and write a gigantic Magic: the Puzzling book to be sold at fine airport bookstores everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeless View Post
    Your Source for Hurt Feelings and Naming Cats.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by URABAHN View Post
    You hope your opponent doesn't make the Morphling fly and attack.
    Also assume your opponent plays optimally

edit:"Magic: the Puzzling book", if someone wrote that I would totally buy it.

Cardboard Messiah
    Jan 2006
    East Syracuse, NY

You lightning bolt yourself and win the next two games. That's how you win this "match."

Shame on you for losing to a guy playing morphling.

In all seriousness, magic puzzles should only take place over one turn. Past that, there are too many factors to consider.
    Sexy

Cardboard Messiah
    Jan 2006
    East Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    edit:"Magic: the Puzzling book", if someone wrote that I would totally buy it.
    This Book?
    Sexy

Jan 2006
    Chesapeake, VA

I think this puzzle is broke.

Your opponent can attack for the win on his next turn and there is nothing you can do to stop it. You have no flyers and no way to remove an untargetable Morphling. You also cannot kill the opponent this turn as you don't have enough mana to kill Mask and play a burn spell.

How do you win this match?
    I suggest playing better in games 2 and 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Once Solidarity resolves a Meditate the most productive thing you can do with Orim's Chant is to find a nearby tophat and try to toss the Orim's Chant into it to amuse yourself while your opponent finishes his combo.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Eh, wait to discard Basking Rootwalla at the EoT, Madness it in, since there were effects in Clean-up step, you get priority after the untargetability has worn off. Bolt 'Pling, swing for the win next turn?

Jan 2006
    Chesapeake, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Eh, wait to discard Basking Rootwalla at the EoT, Madness it in, after the untargetability has worn off, Bolt 'Pling, swing for the win next turn?
    Yeah, you're right.

Fucking obscure priority after clean-up step rule.
    Once Solidarity resolves a Meditate the most productive thing you can do with Orim's Chant is to find a nearby tophat and try to toss the Orim's Chant into it to amuse yourself while your opponent finishes his combo.

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

Eh, wait to discard Basking Rootwalla at the EoT, Madness it in, since there were effects in Clean-up step, you get priority after the untargetability has worn off. Bolt 'Pling, swing for the win next turn?
    You and Dave both have waaaaay too much fucking time on your hands. Good call btw....
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Time Lord
    Apr 2005
    Syracuse NY

you get priority after the untargetability has worn off
    This is what I thought at first, but:
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling Oracle Text
    {U}: Untap Morphling.
    {U}: Morphling gains flying until end of turn.
    {U}: Morphling can't be the target of spells or abilities this turn.
    {1}: Morphling gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
    {1}: Morphling gets -1/+1 until end of turn.
    It says it can't be the target of spells or abilities this turn, not "until end of turn." Unless I'm reading the rules wrong, once resolved, Morphling untargetablility remains in effect essentially until the next turn begins, not the end-of-turn step.

Am I right? Wrong? Poor Oracle wording?

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Drathro View Post

It says it can't be the target of spells or abilities this turn, not "until end of turn." Unless I'm reading the rules wrong, once resolved, Morphling untargetablility remains in effect essentially until the next turn begins, not the end-of-turn step.

You're wrong. "Until end of turn" and "This turn"-effects both end at the Clean-up step and all in all, they're pretty much identical in terms of...well, everything except the wording.

Jan 2006
    Chesapeake, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Drathro View Post

No. There are actually two end-of-turn exploits in current Magic.

The first is the well-known "At end of turn" exploit, famous for turn Waylay into White Lightning.

The second is that if any abilities trigger or the conditions for state-based effects exist, then players get priority during the cleanup step, after "until end of turn" and "this turn" effects have worn off.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Oh you got it.

Here is the ruling to help you win

314. Cleanup Step

314.1. If the active player’s hand contains more cards than his or her maximum hand size (normally seven), he or she discards enough cards to reduce the hand size to that number (this game action doesn’t use the stack).

314.2. After discarding, the following actions happen simultaneously: all damage is removed from permanents and all “until end of turn” and “this turn” effects end (this game action doesn’t use the stack).

314.3. If the conditions for any state-based effects exist or if any triggered abilities are waiting to be put onto the stack, the active player gets priority and players may play spells and abilities. Once the stack is empty and all players pass, another cleanup step begins. Otherwise, no player receives priority and the step ends.
    I'm impressed someone got it so quick.

Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Wow, there is one, but that was written in 1996, so most of it would probably be out of date.
    Last edited by quicksilver; 09-15-2006 at 01:07 PM.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

You are the wind beneath my wings.

May I call you Sensei?

(Edit) More people might play magic if not for absurdly ridiculous shit like that.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    (Edit) More people might play magic if not for absurdly ridiculous shit like that.
    I play magic because of absurdly ridiculous shit like that.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    You are the wind beneath my wings.

May I call you Sensei?
    You may. Want a koan?

Nov 2004
    Missouri

I love this stuff. It makes you a intuitive magic player. Congratulations Eldariel, you've made me a better player.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoojo View Post
    I love this stuff. It makes you a intuitive magic player. Congratulations Eldariel, you've made me a better player.
    Oh what about me? Not only did I make this puzzle to entertain people, but I also made it to try to educate people on an obscure rule, that's why I posted it in the rules forum.

Nov 2004
    Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    Oh what about me? Not only did I make this puzzle to entertain people, but I also made it to try to educate people on an obscure rule, that's why I posted it in the rules forum.
    I love you too, Mr. Price.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

What I found funny was your little bit on "Hint- If any of these cards weren't in your hand, you cannot win." It took me about 20 seconds to figure out how to win, and another 5 minutes to realize you needed them all for the MADNESS.

That is, if you had to kill them on the next turn.

Thread Information