Thread: Chain of Vapor

Banned

Aug 2006
    San Diego

Chain of Vapor

How does Chain of Vapor work?

Chain of Vapor - Oracle Text:
    Return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand. Then that permanent's controller may sacrifice a land. If the player does, he or she may copy this spell and may choose a new target for that copy.

Does Chain of Vapor's copy made by sacrificing a land use the stack, or is it a continuation of the resolving spell like putting permanents into play with Eureka.

If the copy made by sacrificing a land does use the stack, I can react before the target gets bounced, also making it able to be countered since it is on the stack if it is a copy, correct?

Also if it does use the stack, can I Stifle the ability of putting another copy on the stack, specially after the land was sacrificed, as it would be a triggered ability caused by the spell's resolving.

Re: Chain of Vapor

The Chain of Vapor copy does use the stack and is completely separate from the Chain of Vapor that created it.
    You can counter the copy.
    You can not stifle it.

Jan 2006
    Chesapeake, VA

When the original Chain of Vapor resolves, it can create a copy of itself. That copy is then put on the stack. This is part of the effect of CoV, not a triggered ability. Not it does not say "when", "whenever" or "at", as in "When this spell (is played)/(resolves)". As such, it cannot be Stifled. However, since the copy is put on the stack, it can be responded to normally (after the original Chain of Vapor has resolved), and countered.

Edit: Oh sure, answer in plain, simple terms that are easy to understand while I'm still typing my long, complicated answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Once Solidarity resolves a Meditate the most productive thing you can do with Orim's Chant is to find a nearby tophat and try to toss the Orim's Chant into it to amuse yourself while your opponent finishes his combo.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Complete_Jank View Post
    How does Chain of Vapor work?

Chain of Vapor - Oracle Text:
    Return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand. Then that permanent's controller may sacrifice a land. If the player does, he or she may copy this spell and may choose a new target for that copy.

Does Chain of Vapor's copy made by sacrificing a land use the stack, or is it a continuation of the resolving spell like putting permanents into play with Eureka.
    Yes, it uses the stack

If the copy made by sacrificing a land does use the stack, I can react before the target gets bounced, also making it able to be countered since it is on the stack if it is a copy, correct?
    yes

Also if it does use the stack, can I Stifle the ability of putting another copy on the stack, specially after the land was sacrificed, as it would be a triggered ability caused by the spell's resolving.
    No, you cannot stifle it
    The part about sacrificing a land is part of the origional text. So when the origional spell resovles it first bounces a land. Then, still while resolving, the spell politly asks an opponent if they would like to sacrifice a land. the spell then finishes resolving. If the player did sacrifice a land, then a copy of the bounce it imediatly put on the stack and targets are choosen. Then a player recieves priority, once both players pass, the copy resolves, and does the same thing as before, this continues until a player chooses not to sacrifice a land.

Edit: Oh sure, answer in plainer, simpler terms that are easy to understand while I'm still typing my long, complicated answer.

Banned

Aug 2006
    San Diego

Ok, that is how I thought it worked.

I was hoping for some stupid rule that I could use to make Stifle work and kill yet one more land with the card.

Side question...
    Replicate can be stifled though right?

Thank you for the quick responses.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Complete_Jank View Post
    Replicate can be stifled though right?
    Correct it is exactly like storm, only the number of coppies is determined by a cost instead of the number of spells played.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Good rule for Stifle.

If it has "When," "Whenever," "At," or a colon, and it doesn't produce mana, you can Stifle it.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Thread Information