Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [New Card Discussion] Holy Shit

Re: [New Card Discussion] Holy Shit

This card is great against Slivers. Because slivers effect all not only the ones you control. So if your opponent has a lot of slivers this card fucks them while taking all of their abilties. Duh.

Instant Bacon
    Dec 2005
    MN, US

This set looks insane.

Disciple of scrumdogg
    Sep 2004
    Massena NY...way up north

I hate to rain on everyones parade but Juzam doesn't come up in the Orb of Insight. So unless this is just the name they've given it becasue of it's similarities to the djinn it doesn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrumdogg View Post
    You have two kidneys....suck it up, Ebay HongKong has the listing for you, 'Prime American Organ' right between 'Classroom of Small Asian Children' and 'Mail Order Bride'. Then you can afford to buy needed rares at Altered States

Quote Originally Posted by scrumdogg View Post
    This is what happens when you don't prepare for or respect a weak opponent like a stingray...or bad Reanimator...it sneaks up & kills you.

Team Intuition - Living on the Canadian border....savage tech

Jun 2005
    Michigan

I really hope this card is real. It may not be a replacement for Juzam Djinn, but it might be Juzam 5 and 6 in some deck.
    Belcher, RUG Delver, Death & Taxes, Colorless Eldrazi, Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose
    Fuck you ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by NoGameShow View Post
    I hate to rain on everyones parade but Juzam doesn't come up in the Orb of Insight. So unless this is just the name they've given it becasue of it's similarities to the djinn it doesn't exist.
    Did you get the accent over the 'a' into the orb? I cant seem to get in it in there, though thats what why im guessing u cant get it.

It's a decent card. Nothing worth saying Holy Shit about though. Not when there are creatures like Masticore, Loxadan Hierach, Iwamori of Open Fist or heck, even Grinning Demon.

And IMO, the best card previewed so far is either Jaya or Serra Avenger. White is chock full of 2cc creatures. So you can bet you have some other creature to cast turn two and another creature to cast with the Serra Avenger on your 4th turn.

A 3/3 Vigilance Flyer for 2 mana is nutty good. A 5/5 for 4 with a drawback is nothing mihd blowing.

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

For the freak factor alone I may crack any packs that I win of this set!

Just bored.
    Feb 2006
    San Jose

Actually owning a Djinn I can remeber all the times I could have freaked out about a new 4cc 5/5 that could have lowered its price. This is just another Phyrexian Scuta that sucks goats if you have more than 1 in play. Time after time though the Djinn's price hasn't changed, and it wont because it is a chase card more than anything. I believethe slivers only playability will be against sliver decks.

Clay Aiken
    Jun 2005
    Mooshie's Grove

Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    Doesn't this get worse when you add slivers??
    No, because it's one Sliver giving an ability to the others.

All Slivers have "{2}, Sacrifice this creature: This creature deals 2 damage to target creature or player."

NOT

All Slivers have "All Slivers have '{2}, Sacrifice this creature: This creature deals 2 damage to target creature or player.'"

If the wording were more like the second, with all Slivers giving X ability to all other Slivers, then you'd do 4 points to yourself with two Juzam Sliver in play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeless View Post
    Your Source for Hurt Feelings and Naming Cats.

you won't find this card in the orb because it's name is not juzam sliver but plague sliver. It is probably real and in my humble opinion not all that good, how many topdecks actually run juzām? zero...

Why is it so expesive? Juzām is an icon of magic, everybody loves it and it was printed in 1993 in magic's first expansion.

It will be played in standard, but probably not in legacy (too slow)

Whatever

Mar 2006
    L'Aquila, Italy

Nowadays Juzam is not THAT strong.
    The decks usually now rely on spells with lower CC.
    And better fatties have been printed since then.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    'Sudden Stifling'(real name not given) 1U
    Instant
    Split second (As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't play spells or activated abilities that aren't mana abilities.)
    Counter target activated or triggered ability.
    Activated or triggered abilities cannot be played by that card until end of turn.
    I'm not totally sure, but doesn't this destroy Brain Freeze? I think it would have to be worded differently, but if that's what it actually does, it should mean that Solidarity always has to go for Stroke, right? Could be good against Tendrils as well.

Sep 2005
    Maryland (Frederick)

@LAM - Yes with "Sudden Stifling" you can counter the storm trigger, but Solidarity can just Remand the Freeze (after SS has resolved), and replay it.

.... Just figured out what you were really asking. The last part of the text reads 'activated or triggered abilities cannot be played by that card until end of turn.' To actually stop you from resolving storm triggers on later Brain Freezes it would have to be worded differently because the word that refers only to the specific instance of that spell on the stack or the specific permanent in play. For example, if your opponent has two Grim Lavamancers in play, activates one of them, and you counter the activated ability with SS, the other Lavamancer can still use its activated ability.

However, that's hardly relevent here due to the Split Second ability. The moment this super Stifle goes on stack, the opponent is powerless to do anything. This card alone gives old control decks like Landstill the tools to combat all forms of Storm.dec. Now if only Landstill can improve its god damn Goblin matchup.
    Nothing witty to say.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightAce View Post
    However, that's hardly relevent here due to the Split Second ability. The moment this super Stifle goes on stack, the opponent is powerless to do anything. This card alone gives old control decks like Landstill the tools to combat all forms of Storm.dec. Now if only Landstill can improve its god damn Goblin matchup.
    As are you. Split Second stops both players from doing anything until it resolves.
    Once it does Solidarity still can control the stack to a degree that Landstill can not. Jrp is correct in that Remand on the Brain Freeze after the SS has resolved gets around it as does another Brain Freeze.
    Also, I don't really understand the wording on the card
    Activated or triggered abilities cannot be played by that card until end of turn.
    Are Triggered Abilities "played"? Don't they just go on the stack when the conditions for their trigger are met?
    Either way another Brain Freeze would still trigger as it would be specific to that card and not cards with that name.

Quote Originally Posted by URABAHN View Post
    No, because it's one Sliver giving an ability to the others.

All Slivers have "{2}, Sacrifice this creature: This creature deals 2 damage to target creature or player."

NOT

All Slivers have "All Slivers have '{2}, Sacrifice this creature: This creature deals 2 damage to target creature or player.'"

If the wording were more like the second, with all Slivers giving X ability to all other Slivers, then you'd do 4 points to yourself with two Juzam Sliver in play.
    Uh, actually, you DO deal 4 damage to yourself with two of them in play. The ability stacks.

It's still almost as good as Juzam Djinn, tho, and it is secret tech vs. a deck's terrible Slivers matchup. :(

Oh, right. I misread the Split Second ability,

Split second (As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't play spells or activated abilities that aren't mana abilities.)
    For some odd reason, I read it as "when this spell is on the stack, other players can no longer play spells or activated abilities." Yea, figures, go wishful thinking.
    Last edited by midnightAce; 09-19-2006 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Typo
    Nothing witty to say.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightAce View Post
    Oh, right. I misread the Split Second ability,

For some odd reason, I read it as "when this spell is on the stack, players can no longer play spells or activated abilities." Yea, figures, go wishful thinking.

You mean you thought it said "when this spell is on the stack, otherplayers can no longer play spells or activated abilities." , correct?
    Otherwise you just paraphrased the Split Second ability.

If it was like what you said, it would be Solidarity's best friend in the fight against control decks. Play irrelevant Split Second card, with that on the stack combo out.

Yea, typo on the previous post. Fixed.

On to the actual topic of the Sliver, assume it's printed as presented right now, exactly how much does Sui-black or Pox varients benefit from this guy? Pox always seemed light on finishers, (My pov for being on the recieving end.) now nobody needs to fork over their entire weekend shift's earnings to get the original fatty, this one can do just as well. Well, not that better in multiple.
    Nothing witty to say.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Yes with "Sudden Stifling" you can counter the storm trigger, but Solidarity can just Remand the Freeze (after SS has resolved), and replay it.
    Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't you have to pass priority to the person getting brain freezed before he has a chance to super-stife it therefore giving up your chance to remand the brain freeze?
    I might be wrong on that but I just remembered something about it because I play with Balance a lot.

Thread Information