Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [New Card Discussion] Holy Shit

Re: [New Card Discussion] Holy Shit

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't you have to pass priority to the person getting brain freezed before he has a chance to super-stife it therefore giving up your chance to remand the brain freeze?
    I might be wrong on that but I just remembered something about it because I play with Balance a lot.
    After you play Brain Freeze its triggered ability goes on the stack, you pass priority to your opponent, they have to SS it or the ability resolves and all the copies go on the stack.
    Once they play SS you can't respond so the triggered ability is countered. You both then have to pass priority again before the original Brain Freeze resolves because a spell (SS) has resolved.

Banned

Aug 2006
    San Diego

Ok, sorry if this surves no purpose, but I didn't feel like reading the entire article, only the first page.

If this is an actual card it won't matter or bring down the price of Juzam.

Grinning Demon is better than Juzam, and this sliver would be better because of the fact it is a sliver. (Sliver effects)

Juzam is not a $100 card because of it's play value.

Clay Aiken
    Jun 2005
    Mooshie's Grove

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Ferdinand View Post
    Uh, actually, you DO deal 4 damage to yourself with two of them in play. The ability stacks.

It's still almost as good as Juzam Djinn, tho, and it is secret tech vs. a deck's terrible Slivers matchup. :(
    Ah, right, I wasn't thinking. Was I right about having 1 Juzam Sliver and 4 random slivers in play, though? Each non-Juzam sliver does not add the "1 point during your upkeep" to each other sliver, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeless View Post
    Your Source for Hurt Feelings and Naming Cats.

This card is designed as a weapon against slivers, which could become a famous type 2 deck. He benefits from the Slivers your opponent plays, and I assume he will be the fattest sliver out there. He's already synergetic with Sedge Sliver, he can regenerate easily. So he either kills your opponents slivers or stops your opponent from attacking, which will cause his death sooner or later. If your opponent doesn't play Slivers, he is just a Juzám Djinn.

For legacy, he is unimportant, since Slivers are no DTB right now and I don't believe this will change (the new counter sliver deck is interesting, though) and it's a 4cc creature without evasion which is just incredibly bad. Don't ever play him in a sliver deck. You need a bunch of slivers to make slivers a good deck and the more you get, the more damage you take and the more unimportant this sliver becomes. A bunch of slivers is strong anyway. You just become vulnerable to Moat and Worship.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightAce View Post
    Yea, typo on the previous post. Fixed.

On to the actual topic of the Sliver, assume it's printed as presented right now, exactly how much does Sui-black or Pox varients benefit from this guy? Pox always seemed light on finishers, (My pov for being on the recieving end.) now nobody needs to fork over their entire weekend shift's earnings to get the original fatty, this one can do just as well. Well, not that better in multiple.
    This card is horrible in Pox because you can't ritual it out on turn one and it compounds the life loss from your Poxes. Phyrexian Totem is better - it can come down turn one with a ritual, it's mana accel, it doesn't mess with Nether Spirit, and it has the same sized body.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    Are Triggered Abilities "played"? Don't they just go on the stack when the conditions for their trigger are met?
    Either way another Brain Freeze would still trigger as it would be specific to that card and not cards with that name.
    What I was trying to get at in my post is that I don't think this is the wording of the card at all. It's just someone's attempt at trying to describe what they think the card does. Maybe it's based on reliable information, and maybe not, but I think the wording is contrived nonetheless.

Lord Sapito of the Bloated Toad
    Dec 2004
    Upstate NY

Quote Originally Posted by Jolfer View Post
    Why so you can take extra damage each turn?

But that really sucks for people if their Dijnns drop in price because of this.
    I hope Juzam drops in price. Then the guy who went through the trouble of stealing mine won't have free $100 cards of mine anymore. They'll be $50 instead :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssbm Rocks1 View Post
    4 [ZEN] Terra Stomper-Uncounterable 8/8 trampler! How can Merfolk and Canadian thresh beat that?

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

Quote Originally Posted by Complete_Jank View Post
    Ok, sorry if this surves no purpose, but I didn't feel like reading the entire article, only the first page.

If this is an actual card it won't matter or bring down the price of Juzam.

Grinning Demon is better than Juzam, and this sliver would be better because of the fact it is a sliver. (Sliver effects)

Juzam is not a $100 card because of it's play value.
    Grinning Demon is horrible, Juzam Djinn is much better. The extra +1/+1 on the Grinning Demon is irrelevent becuase it's still a 4 turn clock just like Juzam. And juzam deals a heck of alot less damage to you.

That means they would have to draw/wish for a different brain freeze since that one was 'banned' from being played for the turn, correct? That could be hurtful to Solidarity indeed.
    I wrote this post a long time ago. It was the dopest post I ever wrote... in 94.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
    Dec 2003
    Fredericksburg, Va

Quote Originally Posted by fearphage View Post
    That means they would have to get/draw/wish for a different brain freeze since that one was 'banned' from being played for the turn, correct? That could be hurtful to Solidarity indeed.
    Wrong. If the Solidarity player Remands the Brain Freeze and plays it again, the game sees it as an entirely new card, so the storm trigger will be free to resolve.

Trickbind is almost strictly worse than Stifle against Solidarity, since it costs twice as much.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9
    I can show up whenever I vomit off my hangover and get rid of the passed out females who's naked bodies will be sprawled out all over my condo. Oh wait, I'm engaged. FUCK.

Well in that case I can be there at like 2 then, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheBestEver View Post
    I built my car with my bare hands. It has 32 engines and 17 gas pedals so I can go extra-turbo fast. I sold it for a million dollars and then stole it from the guy using my super computer that can hack into any car in the world as long as I built it. Now I speed down the highway listening to Bruce Springsteen at max volume and flipping off other drivers.

What are regrets?

Quote Originally Posted by fearphage View Post
    That means they would have to get/draw/wish for a different brain freeze since that one was 'banned' from being played for the turn, correct? That could be hurtful to Solidarity indeed.
    The game wouldn't be able to track that it was the same Brain Freeze that was SS and remanded that you played again.

How could you enforce that? Force a judge to tell the opponent what is in the Solidarity player's hand? What if they brainstormed after the Remand? Would the Solidarity player have to show the top of their Library too?

Sep 2005
    Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Lego_Army_Man View Post
    What I was trying to get at in my post is that I don't think this is the wording of the card at all. It's just someone's attempt at trying to describe what they think the card does. Maybe it's based on reliable information, and maybe not, but I think the wording is contrived nonetheless.
    I agree with Lego here. I was thinking the same thing about the card as well. Assuming it's real, the wording clearly has to be different, because triggered abilities are not in fact played.

What it boils down to is that we just don't know yet. This could nail solidarity (by using the wording "triggered abilities of cards with the same name", though that doesn't seem likely), but probably won't do much of anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc
    Thanks for your reply. I believe it is my wording that has made you unpleasant. My fears were something like Angel Stompy ruling Legacy.

I don't think the new stifle is supposed to be better against storm or activated abilities that require a sacrifice or tap (Deed, Welder, etc.). I think it's meant to be an improved stifle against permanents that can activate an ability multiple times. Think Survival, Masticore, and RAV block guildmages.

Banned

Aug 2006
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Grinning Demon is horrible, Juzam Djinn is much better. The extra +1/+1 on the Grinning Demon is irrelevent becuase it's still a 4 turn clock just like Juzam. And juzam deals a heck of alot less damage to you.
    Grinning Demon is better because it can come out faster as you can Dark Ritual it out turn one as a morph. You also play it turn 3 as a morph and swing turn 4 and then morph it and get around losing 2 life during your up-keep.

Grinning Demon will remain better than Juzam, because it can swing a turn earlier, and even if you look at a same time hard cast. G. Demon will do 24 DMG which is greater than Juzam's 20 DMG in four turns. 4 Points of life gain allowed, and they still die.

Grinning Demon is better as play value, but still not really playable, just like Juzam. However, Juzam is and always will be one of the best chase cards.

Banned
    Mar 2006

Grinning Demon is better because it can come out faster as you can Dark Ritual it out turn one as a morph. You also play it turn 3 as a morph and swing turn 4 and then morph it and get around losing 2 life during your up-keep.

Grinning Demon will remain better than Juzam, because it can swing a turn earlier, and even if you look at a same time hard cast. G. Demon will do 24 DMG which is greater than Juzam's 20 DMG in four turns. 4 Points of life gain allowed, and they still die.

Grinning Demon is better as play value, but still not really playable, just like Juzam. However, Juzam is and always will be one of the best chase cards.
    You have some valid points. Grinning Demon does have some plus sides. Like being able to kill your opponent in 3 turns if he/she used fetchlands/ancient tombs and wasn't able to deal with him. You got to remember that Grinning Demon has a morph cost of 2BB, so morphing it up on the second turn without any mana acceleration is highly unlikely. But the main reason I like Juzam Djinn better, is that you can have two in play and get dealt the same amount of damage/life loss as one Grinning Demon. Grinning Demons in multiples is just scary and can help your opponent catch up in the damage race if he's playing aggro. Both cards are good, but I really think that fact pushes Juzam Djinn over the edge. And who the hell wants to keep morphing and unmorphing Grinning Demon every turn?? There's alot better things you could be spending your mana on, like maybe spells.

Quote Originally Posted by greyareabeyond View Post
    I don't think the new stifle is supposed to be better against storm or activated abilities that require a sacrifice or tap (Deed, Welder, etc.). I think it's meant to be an improved stifle against permanents that can activate an ability multiple times. Think Survival, Masticore, and RAV block guildmages.
    I agree.
    It is like Stifle and Interdict had wild passionate sex and popped this out.
    I guess card drawing isn't hereditary.

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

With Juzam vs. Grinning Demon, I really feel that the Demon is better due to the mathematics of 20 life if you are the beatdown deck. If you have to sit back and play defense grinning demon sucks hardcore because you are letting your beatstick sit around going down in life twice as fast, which you can hardly afford to do.

Banned

Aug 2006
    San Diego

First off,
    If you have Grinning Demon on the table and can't win before you die to it, then you deserve to die.

Secondly I can't believe I am even discussing this, as neither of the two cards are very playable anyways, even though G. Dog is slightly better.

Masticore is still superior to both of them.

Masticore's removal actually can swing you from a losing position to a winning one.

It's massive board control. Cursed Scroll wrapped into a 4/4 regenerator.

Both Juzam and Demon only help Golbins and 9 land stompy kill you that much faster.

Lastly, of all the previewed cards, this is the last one that warrants a holy shit.

Banned
    Mar 2006

First off,
    If you have Grinning Demon on the table and can't win before you die to it, then you deserve to die.

Secondly I can't believe I am even discussing this, as neither of the two cards are very playable anyways, even though G. Dog is slightly better.
    Juzam Djinn can happily sit down and block while Grinning Demon you have to be constantly attacking before it kills you. Do the math loser, it takes 20 turns for a Juzam Djinn to kill you, it takes Grinning Demon a mere 10, and that doesn't include all the damage you will be taking in the meantime from other sources. That makes Grinning Demon significantly inferior.

Thread Information