Page 113 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113
Results 2,241 to 2,251 of 2251

Thread: [Deck] Pox

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Re: [Deck] Pox

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Another is Vengeful Pharaoh. I keep coming back to this card. I know it's bad, but I just like it.
    Anyone else tried running either of these?
    I liked the pharoah. He's only effective if the enemy isn't aggro swarm type. Sadly, Liliana ends up dead or I'm eating too much damage to appreciate his "kill but can't draw" ability. Retrace a few Syphon Lifes to make him suck less. Nether spirit rocks if you run some form of graveyard filter, hence why I borrowed the spinning darkness idea.

I tried the G/B LoamPox but I found that it 'durdles' too much. Unless you've got 7+ lands already in the field, retracing a worm harvest etc. takes too long. I definitely like Crucible better. Though I do miss being able to use abrupt decay, mono-black's use of ratchet bomb or Lili's ultimate usually covers my problems. The mono-black retrace tech involves crucible+undiscovered paradise, but that too feels like too much durdling... gah

Monstrify is too pricey mana-wise so I'd suggest either Phyrexian Totem or Tombstalker. Just uppercut them with a strong creature, it's better card-advantage than losing a land or requiring 4 lands.

Jul 2006
    Tokyo, Japan

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    The mono-black retrace tech involves crucible+undiscovered paradise, but that too feels like too much durdling... gah

Monstrify is too pricey mana-wise so I'd suggest either Phyrexian Totem or Tombstalker. Just uppercut them with a strong creature, it's better card-advantage than losing a land or requiring 4 lands.
    The retrace tech is hillarious. I tested recently with 2x tombstalker and he was bomb, vs nic fit, rug and shard. I forgot how fast and easily he closes out games when opponents are relying on lightning bolt and abrupt decay for removal, in place of stp..

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by slylie View Post
    The retrace tech is hillarious. I tested recently with 2x tombstalker and he was bomb, vs nic fit, rug and shard. I forgot how fast and easily he closes out games when opponents are relying on lightning bolt and abrupt decay for removal, in place of stp..
    If you like the Tombstalker and you want a green possibility, consider 1-2 Hunter's Insight. Drawing 5 cards suddenly has sealed games. Although some would see it as a win more since people cast Tomby when the enemy has to topdeck an answer, drawing 5 more cards [think Lilianas and more LD] can reduce their "hah got lucky with this top deck" garbage.

However, with that in mind, I'd end up dropping Mishra's for Chimeric Idol since they hit harder and don't eat mana. Larger evasive win cons, like Nihilith come to mind with Hunter's Insight in a deck. I'd laugh to see someone connect with say, Nyxathid and Hunter's Insight.

Quick question guys and gals;

Stinkweed Imp. Why doesn't this little guy make an appearance in Pox lists?
    I know dredge is a whole other thing, but it a deathtouch flyer we can cast any turn from the yard if we need to.
    Considering how quickly we discard our own shit - why not?

Thoughts?

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Quick question guys and gals;

Stinkweed Imp. Why doesn't this little guy make an appearance in Pox lists?
    I know dredge is a whole other thing, but it a deathtouch flyer we can cast any turn from the yard if we need to.
    Considering how quickly we discard our own shit - why not?

Thoughts?
    3 cmc for a 1/2 flying limited deathtouch. Unfortunately, we're not a 'dredge' deck. LoamPox sort of is, but my previous experience with it wasn't good at all. Losing 5 pieces of land/disruption for a 1/2 psuedo removal isnt' worth it. Fact he dies to our own smallpox/pox also sucks. At least Tomby can slay an enemy in only 3 turns with a big Pox and he only costs 2 mana usually. The stinkweed costs 3 mana for a 20 turn clock. Or 13 turns after Big Pox Nether Spirit, Mishra's Factory, Chimeric Idol, Phyrexian Totem, the Rack, Shrieking Afflictions, Nihilith, and Nyxathid are all superior due to higher damage efficiency.

When I ran LoamPox and found myself dredging abrupt decays and Pernicious Deeds, that's when it hit me. Pox shouldn't be dredging. The only time I think dredging with Pox was worth it is when your enemy had an empty hand and you dredged away discard spells. At least if you normally drew something like Sinkhole or a Pox effect, you're hitting cards. [Land in play, with/without creatures]. I don't believe LoamPox runs enough cards that are happy to be in the graveyard.

But for drawing cards, I think Mikokoro, Center of the Sea has a solid shot for a singleton in the deck. If you're running crucible, that could help defend it, but I found that drawing a smallpox against a non-blue deck at the end of their turn is epic.

Dec 2011
    USA

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...rimer-Deck-Pox Updated Pox Thread/Primer submitted!
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    3 cmc for a 1/2 flying limited deathtouch. Unfortunately, we're not a 'dredge' deck. LoamPox sort of is, but my previous experience with it wasn't good at all. Losing 5 pieces of land/disruption for a 1/2 psuedo removal isnt' worth it. Fact he dies to our own smallpox/pox also sucks. At least Tomby can slay an enemy in only 3 turns with a big Pox and he only costs 2 mana usually. The stinkweed costs 3 mana for a 20 turn clock. Or 13 turns after Big Pox Nether Spirit, Mishra's Factory, Chimeric Idol, Phyrexian Totem, the Rack, Shrieking Afflictions, Nihilith, and Nyxathid are all superior due to higher damage efficiency.

When I ran LoamPox and found myself dredging abrupt decays and Pernicious Deeds, that's when it hit me. Pox shouldn't be dredging. The only time I think dredging with Pox was worth it is when your enemy had an empty hand and you dredged away discard spells. At least if you normally drew something like Sinkhole or a Pox effect, you're hitting cards. [Land in play, with/without creatures]. I don't believe LoamPox runs enough cards that are happy to be in the graveyard.

But for drawing cards, I think Mikokoro, Center of the Sea has a solid shot for a singleton in the deck. If you're running crucible, that could help defend it, but I found that drawing a smallpox against a non-blue deck at the end of their turn is epic.
    If you add barren moor, you can dredge and draw through cycling, without becoming overdependant on graveyardrecursion.
    I usually only dredge for wasteland first, but lategame dredge alot to get manlands as fast as possible out the graveyard in play.

Sorry i didn't search the thread, is anyone experimenting with a Black Red version?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/legacy-br-pox/

here's my list^

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

@ Wake: how does YP works with Smallpox? Cast Smallpox, enter token, sac token? If so, that would be awesome :-) I don't like the amount of lands you play though, but the list looks like fun

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    @ Wake: how does YP works with Smallpox? Cast Smallpox, enter token, sac token? If so, that would be awesome :-) I don't like the amount of lands you play though, but the list looks like fun
    Yeah, Young Pyromancer triggers before smallpox resolves, so you can sac it :) The best is Cabal Therapies, every single one of them essentially flashbacks for free.

My land count is definitely "pushing it" but 18 land technically gets you two in the opening hand (on average) so 17 is only "mising" a little bit, and all of the deathrite shamans count a little toward my land count, so I don't mind. Plus, Faithless Looting is insane at finding what you want, so I figure every game with a turn 1 looting is probably going to turn out fine, mana-wise.

Jan 2012
    Texas

What is the take of grim tutor and The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale?

Thread Information