Sideboard
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Tombstalker
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Infest
    2 Engineered Plague
    1 Tainted Aether
    1 Spinning Darkness

As you may have noticed, this list is a modified 'budgety' version of Reid Duke's list, with 1 less threat, more Poxes, and further card advantage. My meta is quite varied, but the majority is creatures, hence 8 creature hate cards in the board. The tribal count is kind of weak and the main tribal player kind of hybridized his decks so as to be less weak to Plagues, hence the reduction. Withering Wisps almost nullifies plagues but unlike plague, wisps is a win con. Old card from many pages back

After situations where threshold is hit *note-all the time*, rancid earth is the superior land kill, which meets the Trisphere requirements. I definitely appreciate sinkhole's speed, but when 1-hit pestilence saves you from a small army, you start to think just a bit differently. I love both cards but creature rush metas and fast creatures in general lean me toward that extra mana LD. In metas where creatures are slightly slower and fat, obviously sinkhole is better. I have killed people with rancid earth, but it's rare. The fact that I did it at all was hilarious. Would those of you who live in a field of 1 toughness annoyances, Birds o'P, Dark Confidant, Llanowar Elves, Wizards, etc. wouldn't hurt to give it a try as 2 of perhaps? At best, it 2 for 1's and at worst, it's Rain of Tears. I'd also like to add that I'm local player, not championship player so the cards I fight against are usually more power based. (note Goblin Deathraiders *lol*)

Can Wisps be saved from its intervening "if" clause if you create a creature [mishras] at the end of an opponents main phase? That should work I think.

P.S. Buying Wastelands to replace Ghost Quarters very soon... yesss... [evil laugh]

Re: [Deck] Pox

Quote Originally Posted by slylie View Post
    Agreed. LD is pretty weak vs combo and discard is weak vs some other stuff.

I switched to a entomb-fueled build and loving it. I love entomb.

Entomb - most often gets the lone creature to block goyf all day, but vs combo or control you can get raven's crime to empty their hand. Vs burn you go for the lone syphon soul (can also be in the board). Too often I've died after stabalizing to lightning bolt, syphon soul lets you gain life back to prevent getting burned out. With crucible out it tutors for special lands, cabal pit to ping delvers, ghost quarter vs. no-basic decks, tomb of urami for decks that can't deal with 5/5 flyers. Can also just get wasteland or polluted delta. (The two saclands are there to get "infinite lands" with crucible out.) feel free to change them to any sac lands you might have.

I run 3 Liliana because I don't need to see multiples, and "you can just discard the extra" doesn't cut it as an excuse to run 4, I'd much rather her be a real card than just discard fodder most days.

I don't like cursed scroll much.

Anyways, Ideas? suggestions? can anyone share another good entomb bullet?
    I've been running a pair of Entomb in my build also.
    I like Bloodghast. It works okay with Nether Spirit, as ghast is never in the yard for long.
    I tried persisting with Spirit x2, but I'm liking having a ghast and a spirit a lot more, as I can afford to have both in play and not having to worry about a sweeper killing a win-con for me.
    I like a single Darkblast, and Life from the Loam is awesome.
    Nothing new to this thread really! ;)

Could we use Entomb as a tutor for sideboard targets maybe?, and not just for the typical (Life from the Loam, Darkblast, Worm Harvest, Raven's Crime, Syphon Soul etc.)
    We have a few options for cards that like the graveyard, but not many.
    Anything with Dredge, flashback or Retrace for starters - are the obvious ones.
    Ray of Revelation or Ancient Grudge? You could only cast them from the yard though really in a G/B build, which sucks badly. I'd rather just side in Abrupt Decay if I was going down that line of thought. Humph!

I've been experimenting with a few lately.
    Monstrify for late game. That sucker kills with Crucible or Loam. I'm diggin it so far.
    Another is Vengeful Pharaoh. I keep coming back to this card. I know it's bad, but I just like it.
    Anyone else tried running either of these?

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    Arctic Pox: the Legend of the Frozen Witch
    Can Wisps be saved from its intervening "if" clause if you create a creature [mishras] at the end of an opponents main phase? That should work I think.
    Yes there will be a creature on the battlefield (providing they do not kill your Factory) at the start of the end step so Wisp's does not die.
    I have always like Pestilance and since you are not running many colourless sources Withering Wisps is nice.

The ping damage from Rancid Earth is nice and means you do get some value out of that extra mana; downside means it is not so good in the first few turns of the game. Not sure you really want four of them. Also 20 lands with 7 Pox effects and no recursion seems quite low?
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Darth Poxious, Lover de Liliana

Mar 2010
    Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    Yes there will be a creature on the battlefield (providing they do not kill your Factory) at the start of the end step so Wisp's does not die.
    I have always like Pestilance and since you are not running many colourless sources Withering Wisps is nice.

The ping damage from Rancid Earth is nice and means you do get some value out of that extra mana; downside means it is not so good in the first few turns of the game. Not sure you really want four of them. Also 20 lands with 7 Pox effects and no recursion seems quite low?
    Actually, 3/1 split of sinkhole/rancid is probably best. It ensures seeing it later. 24 land counting factories. 28 mana sources with dark rit. Topdecked rits become universal bolts if I got 3 Snowswamps in play. Only catch is any less than 12 snow-covered hurts the wisps. I hate mana dorks, but I love that the vast majority of them are 1 toughness... [damn the DRS]. Well, at least infest kills it outright but I find it kind of nuts that it survives turn 1 dark-rit -> plague.

Mar 2010
    Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Another is Vengeful Pharaoh. I keep coming back to this card. I know it's bad, but I just like it.
    Anyone else tried running either of these?
    I liked the pharoah. He's only effective if the enemy isn't aggro swarm type. Sadly, Liliana ends up dead or I'm eating too much damage to appreciate his "kill but can't draw" ability. Retrace a few Syphon Lifes to make him suck less. Nether spirit rocks if you run some form of graveyard filter, hence why I borrowed the spinning darkness idea.

I tried the G/B LoamPox but I found that it 'durdles' too much. Unless you've got 7+ lands already in the field, retracing a worm harvest etc. takes too long. I definitely like Crucible better. Though I do miss being able to use abrupt decay, mono-black's use of ratchet bomb or Lili's ultimate usually covers my problems. The mono-black retrace tech involves crucible+undiscovered paradise, but that too feels like too much durdling... gah

Monstrify is too pricey mana-wise so I'd suggest either Phyrexian Totem or Tombstalker. Just uppercut them with a strong creature, it's better card-advantage than losing a land or requiring 4 lands.

Jul 2006
    Tokyo, Japan

The mono-black retrace tech involves crucible+undiscovered paradise, but that too feels like too much durdling... gah

Monstrify is too pricey mana-wise so I'd suggest either Phyrexian Totem or Tombstalker. Just uppercut them with a strong creature, it's better card-advantage than losing a land or requiring 4 lands.
    The retrace tech is hillarious. I tested recently with 2x tombstalker and he was bomb, vs nic fit, rug and shard. I forgot how fast and easily he closes out games when opponents are relying on lightning bolt and abrupt decay for removal, in place of stp..

Mar 2010
    Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by slylie View Post
    The retrace tech is hillarious. I tested recently with 2x tombstalker and he was bomb, vs nic fit, rug and shard. I forgot how fast and easily he closes out games when opponents are relying on lightning bolt and abrupt decay for removal, in place of stp..
    If you like the Tombstalker and you want a green possibility, consider 1-2 Hunter's Insight. Drawing 5 cards suddenly has sealed games. Although some would see it as a win more since people cast Tomby when the enemy has to topdeck an answer, drawing 5 more cards [think Lilianas and more LD] can reduce their "hah got lucky with this top deck" garbage.

However, with that in mind, I'd end up dropping Mishra's for Chimeric Idol since they hit harder and don't eat mana. Larger evasive win cons, like Nihilith come to mind with Hunter's Insight in a deck. I'd laugh to see someone connect with say, Nyxathid and Hunter's Insight.

Quick question guys and gals;

Stinkweed Imp. Why doesn't this little guy make an appearance in Pox lists?
    I know dredge is a whole other thing, but it a deathtouch flyer we can cast any turn from the yard if we need to.
    Considering how quickly we discard our own shit - why not?

Thoughts?

Mar 2010
    Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Quick question guys and gals;

Stinkweed Imp. Why doesn't this little guy make an appearance in Pox lists?
    I know dredge is a whole other thing, but it a deathtouch flyer we can cast any turn from the yard if we need to.
    Considering how quickly we discard our own shit - why not?

Thoughts?
    3 cmc for a 1/2 flying limited deathtouch. Unfortunately, we're not a 'dredge' deck. LoamPox sort of is, but my previous experience with it wasn't good at all. Losing 5 pieces of land/disruption for a 1/2 psuedo removal isnt' worth it. Fact he dies to our own smallpox/pox also sucks. At least Tomby can slay an enemy in only 3 turns with a big Pox and he only costs 2 mana usually. The stinkweed costs 3 mana for a 20 turn clock. Or 13 turns after Big Pox Nether Spirit, Mishra's Factory, Chimeric Idol, Phyrexian Totem, the Rack, Shrieking Afflictions, Nihilith, and Nyxathid are all superior due to higher damage efficiency.

When I ran LoamPox and found myself dredging abrupt decays and Pernicious Deeds, that's when it hit me. Pox shouldn't be dredging. The only time I think dredging with Pox was worth it is when your enemy had an empty hand and you dredged away discard spells. At least if you normally drew something like Sinkhole or a Pox effect, you're hitting cards. [Land in play, with/without creatures]. I don't believe LoamPox runs enough cards that are happy to be in the graveyard.

But for drawing cards, I think Mikokoro, Center of the Sea has a solid shot for a singleton in the deck. If you're running crucible, that could help defend it, but I found that drawing a smallpox against a non-blue deck at the end of their turn is epic.

3 cmc for a 1/2 flying limited deathtouch. Unfortunately, we're not a 'dredge' deck. LoamPox sort of is, but my previous experience with it wasn't good at all. Losing 5 pieces of land/disruption for a 1/2 psuedo removal isnt' worth it. Fact he dies to our own smallpox/pox also sucks. At least Tomby can slay an enemy in only 3 turns with a big Pox and he only costs 2 mana usually. The stinkweed costs 3 mana for a 20 turn clock. Or 13 turns after Big Pox Nether Spirit, Mishra's Factory, Chimeric Idol, Phyrexian Totem, the Rack, Shrieking Afflictions, Nihilith, and Nyxathid are all superior due to higher damage efficiency.

When I ran LoamPox and found myself dredging abrupt decays and Pernicious Deeds, that's when it hit me. Pox shouldn't be dredging. The only time I think dredging with Pox was worth it is when your enemy had an empty hand and you dredged away discard spells. At least if you normally drew something like Sinkhole or a Pox effect, you're hitting cards. [Land in play, with/without creatures]. I don't believe LoamPox runs enough cards that are happy to be in the graveyard.

But for drawing cards, I think Mikokoro, Center of the Sea has a solid shot for a singleton in the deck. If you're running crucible, that could help defend it, but I found that drawing a smallpox against a non-blue deck at the end of their turn is epic.
    If you add barren moor, you can dredge and draw through cycling, without becoming overdependant on graveyardrecursion.
    I usually only dredge for wasteland first, but lategame dredge alot to get manlands as fast as possible out the graveyard in play.

Sorry i didn't search the thread, is anyone experimenting with a Black Red version?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/legacy-br-pox/

here's my list^

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

@ Wake: how does YP works with Smallpox? Cast Smallpox, enter token, sac token? If so, that would be awesome :-) I don't like the amount of lands you play though, but the list looks like fun

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    @ Wake: how does YP works with Smallpox? Cast Smallpox, enter token, sac token? If so, that would be awesome :-) I don't like the amount of lands you play though, but the list looks like fun
    Yeah, Young Pyromancer triggers before smallpox resolves, so you can sac it :) The best is Cabal Therapies, every single one of them essentially flashbacks for free.

My land count is definitely "pushing it" but 18 land technically gets you two in the opening hand (on average) so 17 is only "mising" a little bit, and all of the deathrite shamans count a little toward my land count, so I don't mind. Plus, Faithless Looting is insane at finding what you want, so I figure every game with a turn 1 looting is probably going to turn out fine, mana-wise.

Jan 2012
    Texas

What is the take of grim tutor and The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale?

Thread Information