Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Pox

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Re: [Deck Discussion] Pox & [New Card Discussion] Small Pox

Haakon is terrible. Hes a 3/3 who dies to everything and has no good abilities. He has additional life loss for you to kill yourself with, he also NEEDS to be played from the yard. Nether can be played from your hand, he also comes back for free everyturn. Haakon also forces you to run other VERY shitty knights to try and work with him. Yuck.

This is not standard. Please dont get excited about every feesable T2 card. Pox needs to most efficient cards to work properly and Haakon has nothing to do with efficiency.
    Now playing real formats.

Magic Wasteland Nomad
    Dec 2004
    Taylors, SC

Quote Originally Posted by bane_of_the_living View Post
    Haakon is terrible. Hes a 3/3 who dies to everything and has no good abilities. He has additional life loss for you to kill yourself with, he also NEEDS to be played from the yard. Nether can be played from your hand, he also comes back for free everyturn. Haakon also forces you to run other VERY shitty knights to try and work with him. Yuck.

This is not standard. Please dont get excited about every feesable T2 card. Pox needs to most efficient cards to work properly and Haakon has nothing to do with efficiency.
    QFT. Haakon isn't good. Nether Spirit does what Haakon does like a million times better. Also, I dont get why people think that Phyrexian Totem costs too much. His activation is the same as Cursed Scroll, and that cards been run in Pox pretty much since it was printed.

On the other hand, Smallpox is a real card! This is very cool, but Im kinda hesitant about it. I dont think extra land is the way to go, but maybe something like Chrome Mox? Or maybe extra land + Crucible + Mox Diamond. Diamond would allow for 1st turn Sinkhole, which is AMAZING. Flat out rediculous. Or 1st turn Hymn, which is pretty damn good against combo.
    Team Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten
    |^^^^^^^^^^^\||____
    |.The STFU Truck..|||'""|""\__,_
    | __GTFO 4ever_w_ l||__|__|__|)
    |(@)@)"""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)

Yeah Chrome Mox is mentioned in my original post.

Now I'm having second thoughts though. With all the card disadvantage from Pox and Smallpox, I don't the deck can afford to lose another card for chrome mox. It's just too much card disadvantage.

I'm running 2 Phyrexian Totem. I think that's maximum but what do you guys think?

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Thats why you should play Mox Diamond and Crucible of the Worlds. You get the mox accel without rfg'ing a good card. You get the land back with Crucible. It allows recurring removal (cabal pit) and recurring win conditions (mishras factory). Recurring ld is sooo good in pox by the way. (Wasteland). I urge anyone who hasnt tried it in the deck to give it a whirl.

What does your manabase look like?

How do you support Wasteland+Factory+the BBB for Pox?

How do you support all the lifeloss from pox+lifeloss from cabal pit?

What happens when you don't have one of the 2-3 Crucibles you play in your opening hand, you have no real card draw, so how do you not get mana screwed after discarding away one of your only two lands?

Don't you pigeonhole yourself into situations where you can't cast Small Pox or Pox or Wasteland whenever you don't have a Crucible by running Mox Diamond?

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

Crucible is the glue that holds playable Pox together. Running less than 3 is madness, I've run 4 before because it is that important to the deck. If it resolves, you just gained a distinct advantage. The life loss from Cabal Pit is negligible as it is usually a 2 of & there as back up removal that fortuitously taps for black mana if needed. 22-24 land is not a bad way to go in a deck that relies on having mana, especially recursive mana. 14-15 swamps, 2x Cabal Pit, 4x Wasteland, 2x Mishras Factory, 1-2x Ghost Quarter, 4x Dark Ritual is a very flexible base. Having land to recover from or pitch to a Pox or Smallpox lets you set up Crucible properly, at which point the 'card disadvantage' ceases to matter.
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Mox Diamond eats up a land in your hand. So what would have been a hand with 3 lands or 3 black sources if you were running Chrome Mox, would be essentially a hand with 2 lands if one of those lands was replaced with a Mox Diamond instead of Chrome Mox or just running land. This means you likely can't sac a land to Smallpox and you can't even cast Pox. You can't even cast Crucible to get the land you discarded to Diamond back.

I'm not saying don't run Crucible. I'm definately running it.

I'm just saying you can't rely on drawing it and being able to cast it every game. You may have it roughly half the games you play.

And the many games when the Mox Diamond isn't accompanied by a Crucible in play, Diamond is bad for you, very bad.

Also, all the colorless producers you play can't be a good thing. Most of this decks cards don't take colorless mana as payment be the cards be Hymn, Sinkhole, Pox or Smallpox. Wastelands are a must for obvious reasons, but I don't think I wouldn't run Factories just because you can't play a Pox off of two swamps and a factory.

Sorry for the double post but the thread died when I would bet anyone that Pox is now a contendor in the format.

Here's my latest build. The first cards listed are what I'm personally running.

I believe the new card Smallpox adds a ton to Pox and I really want to optimize the deck. Any advise would be appreciated.

18 Swamp
    4 Wasteland
    2 Cabal Pit

4 Chrome Mox/Dark Ritual/Mox Diamond
    4 Cabal Therapy/Duress
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Sinkhole
    4 Pox
    4 Smallpox

4 Innocent Blood/2 The Rack & 2 Funeral Charm/2 Infest & 2 Crucible/2 Spinning Darkness & 2 Cursed Scroll/Tons of other options I forgot.
    4 Nether Spirit
    2 Chimeric Idol
    2 Phyrexian Totem

There are literally about 50 billion cards that now work in Pox. The key is to find the very best of all of these.

To the people not running Nether Spirit, I'm not sure you guys realize just how good that card is.

If you discard it to Small Pox, it comes into play the next turn, if you sac it, if you chump block with it, whatever happens to it short of Swords, it always comes back into play rather than just into your hand like Squee. Not only does it nuetralize the discard/card disadvantage of small pox, it is one of the most annoying creatures to play against, for anyone not running 4 Swords.

Allthough Nether Spirit is very good in the deck, I don't want to run 4. If you have 2 in the graveyard it won't come back anymore, and with all the selfdiscarding and destruction, you will get 2 in yard. I'm not sure on Phyrexian Totem too. Sure it's a fast clock and taps for mana, but I would rather run Phyrexian Negator then. The great thing about Chimeric Idol is that it blocks and his activationcost is 0. This way you can play spells in your turn and then attack or pass the turn and he is able to block. Totem will cost 3 mana to activate, wich leaves you with the choice or play disruption or attack( you rarely will have 5 or mana without Ritual.)

So I would run as kill:

2 Nether Spirit
    4 Chimeric Idol
    2 Cursed Scroll

Then in the Innocent bloodspot I would play 2 Crucible and 2 other. You also play Cabal Pit. This with wasteland can stop alot of decks and it isn't affected by Pox.

For the rest very nice list.

Magic Wasteland Nomad
    Dec 2004
    Taylors, SC

Why not just go:

3 Nether Spirit
    3 Chimeric Idol
    3 Cursed Scroll

That way you are pretty much guaranteed to see a kill condition in your game. 3 Nether Spirit isn't bad. I very rarely ran into the problem of having 2 in the yard. I mean, he does come back every turn, which means your opponent would have to kill 2 on the board, or kill 1 and rip 1 from your hand/library.
    Team Solo

|^^^^^^^^^^^\||____

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

I think sb'ing the 4th Spirit is the way to go against decks running StP.

So, I've been messing with the Pox deck a little bit, and I've come to the conclusion that Smallpox is t3h suxx0rz against Goblins. It's sorta like Diabolic Edict or Innocent Blood, in that they'll just sacrifice a token or a Matron or something like that, but it messes you up more than it messes them up...so, I've moved it to the sideboard since Goblins is so prevelant and does so well in my meta (surprisingly, Goblins won the last tournament around here). Here's the list I've begun testing:

Weezing Again
    16 Swamp
    4 Wasteland
    1 Cabal Pit
    2 Mox Diamond

3 Nether Spirit

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Funeral Charm
    3 Innocent Blood
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Sinkhole
    3 Smother
    4 Infest
    3 Pox
    3 Phyrexian Totem
    3 Crucible of Worlds

SB:
    4 Duress
    2 Cabal Therapy
    3 Smallpox
    2 Oppression
    4 Leyline of the Void

Any suggestions? I'm worried that I'm win condition-light, but I'm not sure I want to add Mishra's Factories back in because of my painful previous experiences overloading on colorless mana. It may be better this time around, though, with Moxen and Totems backing me up. We'll see...

Magic Wasteland Nomad
    Dec 2004
    Taylors, SC

If you dont like using the Totems, why don't you play with Mishra's Factory?
    Team Solo

|^^^^^^^^^^^\||____

Aggro Zombies, I have one suggestion, sub out Innocent Blood for Smallpox.

You say your meta is so goblins heavy and they'll just sac a token to Smallpox but you run Innocent Blood which lets them do the same thing.

Do you know why Deadguy does decent against goblins, because of all the disruption/mana denial. Smallpox lets you run more land destruction than Deadguy ever ran. The creature destruction and discard are just gravy, though they're solid too.

You will win many games against goblins just by mana screwing them.

I also suggest cutting 1 Crucible and running either Pox or Smallpox as a 4 of. Since Pox tends to really hurt goblins, I guess in your meta, Pox should be the 4 of.

Also, this goes to everyone, but for the love of god, please up your land count.

Any deck running a curve with many 3cc cards MUST play 22 lands as a bare minimum.

Pox, Wasteland, Smallpox, Mox Diamond, Cabal Pit all require that you play more than the 22.

You're just asking to be mana screwed many games by cutting away lands.

Have we entirely ruled out splashing another color in this deck?

Is a more graveyard-based build necessarily bad if it's for good cards? ie not Haakon, Stromgald Scourge.

I agree with Clark Kant completely and I found his list the best so far. The power of Pox is that it can recover from Pox faster than the opponent. For this reason you need alot of lands. Also you need to run 4 Pox, periode, it's your killcondition( the reason why you can play with smaller and less other killconditions) because 2 poxes/poxen(?) can deal 12 damage to an opponent. This is also the reason why this deck doesn't need to run Phyrexian Totem, you don't have to deal much damage. I do run Phyrexian Negator in the board to speed up the clock with some matchups.

@ Negator: Splashing a color( white) is a possibility, but remeber that you have a card in the deck that costs BBB and alot BB. But white for Vindicate and Disenchant might be an option.

I was thinking of splashing Green, actually. For Life from the Loam and sideboard options. Loam would open up the possibility of a legitimate draw engine, and give you something proactive to do in the turns spent recovering from Pox or Smallpox. Also, it would provide a way to recur lands used for other purposes than Poxing, ie Wasteland and Cabal Pit. Loam also has amazing synergy with Mox Diamond. Also, Loam lets you cut Crucible, a 3-drop card which you could usually be doing better things than casting, ie. disrupting your opponent.

My personal modifications to Clark Kant's latest list (also the best in this thread IMO):

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Bayou
    6 Swamp
    4 Barren Moor
    1 Polluted Mire
    4 Wasteland
    2 Cabal Pit

3 Mox Diamond
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Sinkhole
    4 Pox
    4 Smallpox

4 Life from the Loam

3 Nether Spirit
    3 Chimeric Idol
    2 Phyrexian Totem

-1 Nether Spirit
    +1 Chimeric Idol

-1 Mana Acceleration Slot (only 3 Mox Diamond)
    +1 Land Slot (up to 25 land)

-4 Metagame Slots (4 Innocent Blood/2 The Rack & 2 Funeral Charm/2 Infest & 2 Crucible/2 Spinning Darkness & 2 Cursed Scroll/Tons of other options I forgot.)
    +4 Life from the Loam

Especially if Crucible sees play in this deck, this should be a purely good change, as it adds slight manabase inconsistency for a draw engine, more options in the sideboard and more resiliency to Pox and Smallpox. What does everyone think?

I haven't tested it but the build looks awesome.

I agree, Life of the Loam maybe a great way to get genuine card advantage engine.

I would love to hear back from you about the number of swamps after you play a little though.

I would think 4 Life would let you get away with cutting to 23 lands (or 24 lands), rather than upping to 25, but I'm not sure.

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

What I have added to hurt Goblins(mainly Vial) is Powder Keg. Aether Vial can ruin the LD plan for you. It also pops at Zero to blow Chalice. Chalice for one shuts down a third of this deck, and there are several decks that can drop it on turn 1-2. And a two casting cost, it is easy to play, and never hurts you.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Chalice for 1 shuts down a grand total of 4 cards (Cabal Therapy/Duress) in most builds.

As for clearing away creatures, I would look at Necroplasm, or probably the best option of all either Infest (I sideboard 4) or Withering Wisps (just sub out swamps for snowcovered swamps), both of which are far faster than Powder Keg and hit all the goblins, not just some of them.

Thread Information