Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time Spiral Pre-Release: Who's Going?

Token New Jerseyan
    Jul 2006

Re: Time Spiral Pre-Release: Who's Going?

I cracked me some good stuff (both from the main event, and the draft packs that I got for splitting in the finals), mainly:

1x Foil Shadowmage Infiltrator
    2x Magus of the Disk
    2x Teferi (1 Foil, 1 not)
    1x Resurrection

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

I went in Seattle yesterday, and opened some crazy good stuff in removal such as Sudden Shock, Orcish Cannonade, Dark Withering, and Rift Bolt, and in bombs in the form of Sengir Nosferatu and Dragon Whelp. Got a few good Slivers too. Bonesplitter, Might, Fury, Two Headed, and Spinneret. Terramorphic Expanse made playing three colors a dream. I also opened Conspiracy, but it didn't make the cut. Would have been fun though . All I can say is that Verdant Embrace on Dragon Whelp with Fallen Ideal on a Fury Sliver wins games. Really fast. Also opened Phthisis, which isn't that great on it's own but fantastic under one or both of the Jhoira's Timebugs I opened. I swear I never resolved that thing without hitting my oponnent for at least 10 by killing their biggest fatty. Timebugs helped a lot with the 2 Durkwood Baloths and the Rift Bolt, too.

Went 3-0 in the first 3 of 5 rounds, but lost the 4th (Stormbind is absolutely crazy in Limited). Ended up drawing 3-1-1 into 6 packs in the 5th round because I didn't want to risk going 3-2 and getting nothing. Probably could have gone 4-1-0 for the 12 packs, though.

Opened Mystic Snake and Voidmage Prodigy in my winnings, but the rest wasn't that fantastic.

EDIT: Sure wish Rob Alexander was in Seattle...would've been nice to get my fetches and Duals signed. Did get Pete Venters to sign my Pithing Needles, though .
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

I have not been to one of these things since Ravnica. I Top8'ed all three of the Invasion block pre-releases,(they didn't play the finals out) and got a box each time, even with Dream Wizards' crappy support. Then I quit Magic until Ravinca.

Now they have these random four round "flights" where you win like three sets if you 4-0. When did they start this? It not only does not make it worth the time to go as four rounds against randoms at a pre-release is no skill test at all, it makes it a losing proposition financially even if you win out.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Phasing, cumulative upkeep, echo, fading, flanking, rampage
    Jul 2004
    Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    I have not been to one of these things since Ravnica. I Top8'ed all three of the Invasion block pre-releases,(they didn't play the finals out) and got a box each time, even with Dream Wizards' crappy support. Then I quit Magic until Ravinca.

Now they have these random four round "flights" where you win like three sets if you 4-0. When did they start this? It not only does not make it worth the time to go as four rounds against randoms at a pre-release is no skill test at all, it makes it a losing proposition financially even if you win out.
    In Syracuse, we have had four round flights for several years, now. Although the prize structure changed with Kamigawa block. Now, everyone gets at least one pack, thus the prizes for the top records were cut down. I liked it better, as a player, when their were 6 rounds, and the top prize was a box, but it was determined that having such a prize would detract from the tournament being as fun. Part of the pre-release is to have fun, and enjoy playing with the new cards. Yes, it is a tournament, but at REL 1 and 8k, having the prize lessened for the top records, and giving more prizes out, via the one pack pity prize, adds to the fun of the event. As a judge, I like it, but I know, as a player, I would not want to waste the money.
    Old Fogey

You're not just wrong, rules say you're a dick!

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Rich, here's a narrow and particular question:
    Why doesn't Grey matter invite any artists to the PR? I've heard of people being invited all over (VA, etc.) and we've never done that. Especially this set, where we had the On-Center, with it's infinite more room, what was the rationale for not doing it?

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

I went to the pre-release in Richmond. I was disapointed that the artist I wanted to sign my cards left at 10am, and that they ran out of lotus blossoms. I was glad I went 3/0/1 depite the fact that I suck at limited.

Jul 2004
    Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nightmare View Post
    Rich, here's a narrow and particular question:
    Why doesn't Grey matter invite any artists to the PR? I've heard of people being invited all over (VA, etc.) and we've never done that. Especially this set, where we had the On-Center, with it's infinite more room, what was the rationale for not doing it?
    Allan Pollack was a guest artist at a Pre-Release in Syracuse a few years ago. I really don't know why that was the only time it happened. I can pose a query to Glen from Grey Matter, and let you know.

Regarding the OnCenter, it was really a last minute thing. The decision for using their facility was finalized a week or so before the event. I loved it their. If we could continue there, I would be happy. However, I do believe that having at least one more person on staff, who was used to things, would have helped the event go a little more smoothly. We had three new people some things could have gone better.
    Old Fogey

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Well, definately send the message along to Glen. it hink it creates a lot of incentive for not just newer people to come, but some older players who want their cards signed, too. Drawing more people to their event is never a bad thing.

If you guys ever want another staffer, let me know. I haven't ran one before, but I'm familiar with the people who run it and the way its run.

Magic Wasteland Nomad
    Dec 2004
    Taylors, SC

Yeah, Artists are definatly a plus. Rob Alexander was at the Conneticut one and we got all our Duals, Fetches, and Shocklands done. Taigas never looked so cool!
    Team Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten
    |^^^^^^^^^^^\||____
    |.The STFU Truck..|||'""|""\__,_
    | __GTFO 4ever_w_ l||__|__|__|)
    |(@)@)"""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)

Feb 2006
    Boston

Rosh Hashana FTL. I was really looking forward to this set, too. It's a shame I couldn't make it.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynel View Post
    Rosh Hashana FTL. I was really looking forward to this set, too. It's a shame I couldn't make it.
    Wait, you are in sharon MA? I used to live there back in the day.

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Our pre release was somewhat shitty. I got in the travel lane on the way and almost missed our exit. I had to drive over the divider thingy to get to the exit. Very thrilling.

I nearly lost my cards at some point cause Im retarded. My gf got entered into the flight as Jessica Warren, who isnt her.. Then some one eyed judge wanted to see my deck to make sure I wasnt cheating. Some noob in the flight saw me and my girlfriend showing eachother cards we opened. Go wizards staffing for being flaming incompitent assholes.

Round one I got paired against GAT, then in the process of getting Rob to sign our cards we all missed the 2nd and 3rd round. They didnt even accounce it or anything. What a waste of money for entry.

Fuck wizards for not having my pre release lotus. They shouldve made this up to us. At least an extra pack of cards or something.

Getting drunk in the parking garage and getting all our Legacy lands signed was MORE than worth the trip tho.

To anyone from TJ's reading this, the site was awsome and thank you so much for scoring Rob Alexander for the event.
    Now playing real formats.

D1 Athlete
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse

I'm sitting down thinking whether or not to play the rebel chain I have (I played it and it was awsome) I over here some kid next to me go "sweet they reprinted a blue char" When I heard that, a little bit inside of me died.
    Si, I like cereal.

Jul 2004
    Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by edgewalker View Post
    I over here some kid next to me go "sweet they reprinted a blue char" When I heard that, a little bit inside of me died.
    I heard something along those lines on more than one occassion over the weekend. I corrected everyone who called Psi Blast the "Blue Char" by letting them know how things were "back in the day..."

Kids these days, no respect, I tell ya.
    Old Fogey

D1 Athlete
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse

yea I heard you correct these kids and I felt a little better. I also have to add you are a one of the best judges I've ever had.
    Si, I like cereal.

Thread Information