Thread: Odd occurance in 2HG sealed tourn

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Odd occurance in 2HG sealed tourn

We had an interesting idea around here and decided to buy a few cases worth of Time Spiral and noticed an odd trend I'll go into in a sec.

Anyway, our idea was to do a massive Two headed giant sealed with an entire box per team. Theives auction for prizes (took forever to do prizes)

Ok, when we opened the packs we ended up with a top pick of two Foil Psionic Blasts for whoever got first. Not like anyone would pick anything else. Out of that many boxes, I guess it wasn't too hard to get something good. I opened one of them myself.

Now here's the really odd part. The other box that got the Foil Blast had the exact same cards as our box. Down to the purples and commons. there was only a difference of 5 cards. One was a foil Magus of the Jar and a couple of a purple cards. It so so close it was silly. We both had Solkanar, magus of the jar, Foil Lightning Angel, Foil Unstable mutation, and a couple of other big dollar rares.

Surprising to find they were so close in content. Something to remember I guess if you open a foil unstable or lightning angel. There's definitely a pattern in them.

Anyway, I ended up taking second and walking off with a Foil Ancestral Visions and foil Serra Avenger for first pick. I got a few other decent things like Avatar of "whoa" and other such tradables.

I highly recommend trying that weird format. It's great for theives auction, everyone ends up with a $20+ rare even in last place. Just make the second round pick two cards. It takes forever to go through it all and we only did it with rares and foils. We kept Uncommons and commons we opened.

The power level is higher than normal sealed or draft by a longshot. Quite fun, we all plan on doing it again next month when people have some cash to spare.

Banned
    Jun 2006
    Columbus, OH

Re: Odd occurance in 2HG sealed tourn

This seems a lot less skill intensive than the 2HG Sealed format I created at GenCon, where each team got:

3 packs of Ravnica
    1 pack of Guildpact
    3 packs of Dissension

That means each team had 7 packs to make two 40 card decks. We couldn't figure out how to distribute prizes, so the losing team got to keep their two favorite rares each, and give the remaining three to the other team. That way, the losers got 2 rares each, and the winners got 5 rares each.

You can do 7 Timespiral if you want. It doesn't matter which sets you use, but I only had 6 Rav, 2 GP, and 6 Dis on my person when I proposed the format.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Re: Odd occurance in 2HG sealed tourn

It was just something different to do. A lot of people planned on buying a box anyway and 2HG has gotten pretty popular here so we just combined the two. It's no less or more skill intensive than playing anything else, just the power level goes up considerably with a better selection of cards.

My main point was more that there were two boxes identical to each other, down to commons. That's quite a coincidence.

Thread Information