Thread: Some rules questions...

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Some rules questions...

Here are a couple of rules questions that bugged mt by playing some guy in MWS...

1) Imprinted stuff on Scepter with additional costs still have to be played, right? e.g. Sonic Burst

2) I can choose Smokestack's triggered abilities' stacking order, right? e.g. Sacrifice one permanent then add another soot counter

3) Say I have a Pendrell Mists and Tangle Wire with 4 counters. He has 1 creature and four lands. Can he "target" the Wire's ability to the four lands, then tap 1 in response to add mana to pay for Pendrell Mists?

I kind of thought I knew how these cards worked, but apparently the guy I was playing didn't agree with me...

rating is higher than yours
    Sep 2006
    Rachacha, NY

Re: Some rules questions...

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. tangle wire doesnt target

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Re: Some rules questions...

Quote Originally Posted by kicks_422 View Post
    Here are a couple of rules questions that bugged mt by playing some guy in MWS...

1) Imprinted stuff on Scepter with additional costs still have to be played, right? e.g. Sonic Burst

2) I can choose Smokestack's triggered abilities' stacking order, right? e.g. Sacrifice one permanent then add another soot counter

3) Say I have a Pendrell Mists and Tangle Wire with 4 counters. He has 1 creature and four lands. Can he "target" the Wire's ability to the four lands, then tap 1 in response to add mana to pay for Pendrell Mists?

I kind of thought I knew how these cards worked, but apparently the guy I was playing didn't agree with me...
    1.) The scepter only says you don't pay it's mana cost. You still have to pay any additional costs.

2.)They are both triggered abilities tha trigger at the same time. Since you control both abilites you choose the order in which they go on the stack. You probably would want to choose putting the counter on first, then saccing second so the saccing happens first and you sac one less.

3.) Your opponent is allowed to tap a land in reponse to the tangle wire to pay for the pendrell mists. However that leaves him with 4 untapped permenants afterwards and he is forced to tap his remaining cards includng his creature. Tanglewire does not target and the cards that are tapped are choosen at resolution, so if he pays 1 to the pendrell mists, there are only 4 things left that can be tapped and if there are 4 counters on the wire he has to tap all 4. The tanglewire and pendrell mists do not combo to kill the creature, they just combo to do a little extra stalling.

Thread Information