Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Legend" card sleeves and the problems that ensued

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

Re: "Legend" card sleeves and the problems that ensued

Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Does anyone know exactly what causes white spots to appear in the back of cards? i just checked a bunch of my decks and some had them regardless of what sleeves they were in.
    I know sometimes they show up on my cards from the way I shuffle. But that may not be the case always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Does anyone know exactly what causes white spots to appear in the back of cards? i just checked a bunch of my decks and some had them regardless of what sleeves they were in.
    It's caused by masterbating too much onto them. Seriously, you got to cut that shit out.

Magic Wasteland Nomad
    Dec 2004
    Taylors, SC

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    It's caused my masterbating too much onto them. Seriously, you got to cut that shit out.
    lolz. Funny shit Dave.
    Team Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten
    |^^^^^^^^^^^\||____
    |.The STFU Truck..|||'""|""\__,_
    | __GTFO 4ever_w_ l||__|__|__|)
    |(@)@)"""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)

Small Eyed Unicorn
    Mar 2006
    RoChEsTa

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    It's caused by masterbating too much onto them. Seriously, you got to cut that shit out.
    Hahaha... wow that was fuckin hilarious.. your so funny Dave!
    Team Unicorn- "I'm Horny."

"The Wandering One" of Legacy.

"Glimmervoid, Go."

Instant Bacon
    Dec 2005
    MN, US

Quote Originally Posted by Anarky87 View Post
    It doesn't happen all the time, and I've only noticed it on a few cards where perhaps that sleeve was tighter then the rest maybe. But when I've taken a few cards out of the sleeve, they had that slight curvature that the sleeve had when I put them on. Not a gripe, just something I've noticed and decided to toss out there; Dragon Shields are my favorite hands down.
    I'll have to watch for that. I haven't noticed any abnormal curvature (other than on the foils).

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Kaybee Toys ... "Legend" ... Rochester NY ... very strong smell ... beautiful ... psychadelic ... quite hypnotic ... small little white spots ... smell of paint thinner still lingered ... chemical
    Am I the only person thinking there's drugs involved somewhere here (either on Cavius's part, or "Legend's" part)?

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

LMAO..... Freakish, you just made my day. That post had me cracking up for like 5 minutes strait.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Seriously, the first thing I thought was:

"Strong Chemical smell -> little white spots" Wtf? A sleeve company has coated their sleeves with something that reacts to the cards and make cocaine when they mix?

So yeah (glad I made you laugh), it would be really funny if there was a company that made sleeves that interacted with the chemicals in the ink somehow (drug related or not).

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Before the topic completely goes out the window: I have 2 major sets of sleeves older ultra pros with the symbol in the left hand corner instead of the center (yeah that old!) when they used to come in card board boxes of 100 and a Japanese brand with not much English lettering on them (Yokoman?) I think they come in packs of 75 now.

The ultra pros are of mediocre quality but were the best I could find at the time. I will play with them until they get ultra shitty or split.

The Japanese sleeves are BULLET PROOF. They are cut extra long so no crap gets onto the top of your cards. It may not matter when the most expensive card in your deck is a dual land but when you are playing with NM power you want the extra length so that dirt has a hard time to get in. They shuffle beautifully and I have them in Gunmetal black which looks like serious business. I think they are made out of vinyl (like the dragon shields are). WARNING: They do not fit in Rook cases. I just put them in cheapy plastic deck boxes and then put them in my foam lined deck transporter to keep them safe.

@Dragon Shields: My friends swear by them but I prefer the longer tops for the reasons I mentioned above.

Lastly, if you want your sleaves to stick around or better yet not stick together, invest in a playmat. If a pack of dragon shields is about $10 and it gets goop from the table think of how much money you could have saved by buying that $10-$15 playmat.

Good luck and thanks for the warning!

Banned
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by jazzykat
    The Japanese sleeves are BULLET PROOF.
    Hey bro, thanx for posting. What exactly are the name of those Japanese sleeves that you mentioned?

Ghost of MTG

Oct 2003
    United States

He's talking about Yanoman, probably the old GunMetal sleeves that are impossible to find now-a-days. The newer ones are nothing like the old ones if anyone was about to say "but they make them in 75 packs still".

Player's Choice and KMC Green/Blue/Silver/Purple are the way to go. KMC white and black contracts dirt like the plague and DragonShields are too inconsistent.

Banned
    Mar 2006

I actually think I know what's causing the white spots. Little flakes of dust somehow get "burnt" into the back of the cards. I know this because I actually thought one of my cards acquired a "white spot" in the back but I scratched it off and it didn't seem to be permanent. I assume if you let one of these "dust particles" sit on your cards too long, they somehow become permanent over time. Maybe the acid in the Legends sleeves accelerated this process. That's just my theory.

Oct 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA

While I cant really mention why the sleeves might have messed the card back up I will say this... I have had cards sitting in sleeves for over 5 years with out being removed and they are are fine... the old black shield's (the only ones you could get at the time) yeah they would get a bit crappy on the backs and such but they split less then the clear ones that came with the plastic boxes...

I'm glad I found this post because I need to actually get more sleeves...

I knew a guy who used to have his whole deck in the hard case top loaders... Boy whas that funny when he set the deck on the table... It also made one hell of a noise when he smacked them down as he played them...
    Namaste
    -Dave

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Someone I knew actually did put together a Battle of Wits deck in those things, just because we had enough hard cases to do it, and wanted to see how big the stack would be.

Biggest mistake and waste of 4 hours, ever. But damn was that a funny deck to look at.
    Quote Originally Posted by YuanTi View Post
    Slightly off topic, but where is the Nourishing Lich in the DTB Forum?

is hated out

Oct 2006
    Nowhere Land aka I-Town

How much would I expect to pay for an elemental amber spellground mat?
    Vial Horror blows. Seriously kids, play thresh.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

I would say try looking it up on sites, I personally have no idea what playmats go for. I don't know many companies that have gotten into making them yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by YuanTi View Post
    Slightly off topic, but where is the Nourishing Lich in the DTB Forum?

Oct 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA

Play mats are kinda cool... (geek factor going way up).. I like the PT ones with the red zone and all.. it's just a good way to place things, pretty clear cut..

The people I play with play at this coffee shop that is always full of smoke... which I really don't know why we play there but my cards always then smell like smoke... I didn't mind much when I smoked but it's a little upsetting now...

I am not going to get into the whole health thing but I do know my Force of nature gets winded every time he swings for 8 :)

but the mats are cool...

back to the sleeves anybody play with the silver ones with the chick on the back... I bought some singles from a shop and the silver makes the card face just pop...

just wondering who makes them and are they any good... I think there are some with a dragon on the back...
    Namaste
    -Dave

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

Quote Originally Posted by ApokalypseKid9 View Post
    How much would I expect to pay for an elemental amber spellground mat?
    I paid around 18 for mine, except mine is black. I had been looking for a mat forever and my friend finally found a store on ebay that sold them, so we each got one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

NO FUN JUST PSYCHATOGS
    Oct 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts

Over the Edge games is currently selling the GP New Jersey mats, they're muy sexy and are very durable, you should check them out on eBay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook
    This change also changed the sideboard, Xantid Swarm - it’s been real. Peace.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by MarkPharaoh View Post
    He's talking about Yanoman, probably the old GunMetal sleeves that are impossible to find now-a-days. The newer ones are nothing like the old ones if anyone was about to say "but they make them in 75 packs still".

Player's Choice and KMC Green/Blue/Silver/Purple are the way to go. KMC white and black contracts dirt like the plague and DragonShields are too inconsistent.
    Yanoman Gunmetal were hands down the Best Sleeves Ever. Unfortunately, they either don't make them or something, because I haven't seen them in a long time. Which is really too bad. Dragon Shields are strong and never (in my experience) split, but I prefer sleeves that are longer.

Until I find a suitable replacement for the Gunmetal sleeves, I've just been using KMC--which shuffle great and are solid all-around.

Thread Information