Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Legend" card sleeves and the problems that ensued

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

Re: "Legend" card sleeves and the problems that ensued

Dragon Sheilds are damn good. I'm starting to really like them.

@Playmats: After looking around I settled on a Dragon Sheild Play mat. It's kinda like a mouse pad. Doesn't slip on the table and cards move smoothly across it (tapping and what not). I got mine for about 13 or 14. Good mat if anyone is looking.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

@Bardo & whoever else was talking about Yanoman Gunmetal Sleeves:

You're talking about these:

These

as opposed to

these

right?

What if I found Copper/Shine Blue/Shine Purple as opposed to Gunmetal that otherwise were like the first ones (ie, would I have any problem with PVC in the backs to make them shiny and thus the sleeves splitting)?
    Last edited by freakish777; 11-25-2006 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Wow, Troll and Toad is retarded. It won't let me link just the pictures...

Apr 2006
    Nashville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Brushwagg View Post
    Dragon Sheilds are damn good. I'm starting to really like them.

@Playmats: After looking around I settled on a Dragon Sheild Play mat. It's kinda like a mouse pad. Doesn't slip on the table and cards move smoothly across it (tapping and what not). I got mine for about 13 or 14. Good mat if anyone is looking.

I have to agree with Brushwagg points about Dragon Shields being the best selves you can get at your local gaming store. I usually just buy cheap sleves if I'm playing in limited events, but I do get the good stuff for constructed events, especially big events.

I've gone through a lot of different playmats. I'm a big fan of the free one that I got at GP: New Jersey, which is working out very nicely.
    ~Shriek~

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

I bought silver Dragon sleeves around 7-8 years ago, and I'm still using them, and they're still in pretty good condition. I've bought a lot of other brands of shields within those 7-8 years, but they never lasted as long as the Dragon ones did.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

...so anyone able to tell me about Yanoman Sleeves that came in 100 count packs that weren't Gunmetal??

They just as good, not as good (for some reason)?

monkey
    Aug 2006
    Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by freakish777 View Post
    ...so anyone able to tell me about Yanoman Sleeves that came in 100 count packs that weren't Gunmetal??

They just as good, not as good (for some reason)?
    The copper ones are decent. They are certainly easier to find because they arent as popular a color. The types of Yanoman sleeves (I believe) is between Gunmetal and Shine and has to do with finish rather than color. Correct me if Im wrong.

100 count Yanomans are generally better quality than the newer 75 count though.
    info.ninja

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

@ Freakish, everyone else - Yep, the 100-pack Yanoman Gunmetal. Seriously, they are the best damn sleeves ever. And I say this as a total sleeve-snob.

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

I currently am using those Japanese sleeves, I forgot the name, they have like three initials in its name (KMC or something, I dunno), and I'm pretty much satisfied with them. The only problem is, when I'm at a tournament and like an hour into the tourney, my hands start to sweat a little, making the sleeves stick together and harder to shuffle. Does anyone know of any sleeves that eliminate and at least alleviate these problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    @ Freakish, everyone else - Yep, the 100-pack Yanoman Gunmetal. Seriously, they are the best damn sleeves ever. And I say this as a total sleeve-snob.
    I disagree. I find that the Yanomans pick up dents and scratches too easily. By contrast, Dragonshields sometimes have cutting problems (1 in 300 or so) and pick up spots of dirt more often, I can use them more often, especially in combination with a playmat and regular brushing off of dirt.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

@ Cavius: Most of the sleeves now will have that problem, regardless of who you use. Typically the KMC and Dragons are easiest to clean with that, just get a lightly moist paper towel and run it along the backs in between matches. It may take a few minutes, but it's well worth it to keep the grime off there for long enough to not collect into those dirt spots.
    Quote Originally Posted by YuanTi View Post
    Slightly off topic, but where is the Nourishing Lich in the DTB Forum?

Banned
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by DeathwingZERO View Post
    @ Cavius: Most of the sleeves now will have that problem, regardless of who you use. Typically the KMC and Dragons are easiest to clean with that, just get a lightly moist paper towel and run it along the backs in between matches. It may take a few minutes, but it's well worth it to keep the grime off there for long enough to not collect into those dirt spots.
    I'm not too concerned with the dirt spots as I am the sticking together of the sleeves. When my hands sweat, I usually have to wipe the backs of each sleeved card on my shirt one by one to alleviate this problem. I just wish there were better sleeves out there that this didn't happen to.

Banned
    Mar 2006

Sorry for double posting but I have something important that I would like to mention. The main reason I've been getting white spots on my cards are because of the crappy KMC brand sleeves. KMC brand sleeves suck so bad. When I shuffle KMC sleeves it doesn't protect the cards like it should resulting in the "white spot dilemma". I've noticed that most my cards that haven't been in decks don't have white spots. This is becuase they have never been constantly shuffled. And get this, the main reason I haven't had this white spot problem until now is because, back in the day, I used to use Ultra Pro sleeves. Ever since I started using KMC sleeves is when the white spots started to occur. So take my word for it. Don't buy KMC sleeves, they're complete garbage.

On another note, has anyone liked or disliked the new Ultra Pro Official Magic Sleeves? I was thinking of getting some but wanted a little feedback from the forum ahead of time.

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

If you are not using Dragon Shields your doing something wrong. No other deck protectors last longer or feel better in your hands. (and yes I like the feel, appeals to my tactile nature )
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Banned
    Mar 2006

Does anyone know how good the new "official magic:the gathering" sleeves from Ultra Pro are? I was thinking of getting some but want to get some feedback on how good they are before buying them.

Not a Member
    Jul 2006
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Does anyone know how good the new "official magic:the gathering" sleeves from Ultra Pro are?
    I never used it myself and I heard that they are quite bad. I think several pros complained about them after a japanese GP or PT because they only lasted the tourney.
    Since they are out I also haven't seen anyone playing with them on tourneys.

I think KMC's are by far the best because the cards sit tighter in it than in other sleeves and they are sooo slick...
    TS Crew

The Ultra Pro MTG Sleeves are complete and utter CRAP. Don't ever buy them. I bought them for the Grand Prix Dallas legacy side event and after playing with them for 30 minutes i could hardly shuffle them, and i'm not an aggressive shuffler. the corners bend like paper even though the sleeves have a very rough and bulky feel to them. The edges feel like they were cut with a metal file. It was just an over all very unpleasant experience. the only thing i can say for them is they are kinda cheap. but you are getting what you pay for.

Banned
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by PaPaSmurf View Post
    The Ultra Pro MTG Sleeves are complete and utter CRAP. Don't ever buy them. I bought them for the Grand Prix Dallas legacy side event and after playing with them for 30 minutes i could hardly shuffle them, and i'm not an aggressive shuffler. the corners bend like paper even though the sleeves have a very rough and bulky feel to them. The edges feel like they were cut with a metal file. It was just an over all very unpleasant experience. the only thing i can say for them is they are kinda cheap. but you are getting what you pay for.
    The Ultra Pro MTG sleeves aren't cheap, they're like 8 bucks for 80 sleeves. They're almost as expensive as Dragon Shield sleeves. I haven't tried the Ultra Pro: Official MTG sleeves but I do use the regular Ultra Pro sleeves and absolutely love them. Thanx for the feedback though, now I know not to buy them.

The Ultra Pro MTG sleeves aren't cheap, they're like 8 bucks for 80 sleeves.
    Wow really? theres a store here in Austin called Card Traders of Austin selling a pack of 80 for Six bucks. But i do agree the regular Ultra Pro sleeves are awesome. i've got my 5/3 deck in them right now and it shuffles great!

Thread Information