View Poll Results: $40 for a box of Fifth Dawn?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, good deal

24 72.73%
  • No, not a good deal

9 27.27%

Thread: Good deal or no

Aug 2006
    Omaha

Good deal or no

An unopened box of Fifth Dawn for 40 bucks...

I usually don't buy packs, or boxes. So I wanted another opinion. Would it be good to get these cards for that price? I know there are a few legacy viable cards in that set (crucible of worlds, eternal witness, etc)

It is Chinese, to boot.
    Last edited by mikekelley; 10-30-2006 at 11:18 PM.

Instant Bacon
    Dec 2005
    MN, US

Re: Good deal or no

I'd lean toward "no" but $40 is fairly cheap.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Does 5thDawn even have any good money cards in it? I can't recal any off the top of my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Leroy Rochester
    Jun 2004
    Cabrini–Green

Crucible of Worlds, Eternal Witness.....ummm

But yeah, I'd say go for it because Crucible is coming back in tenth so it might pick up some value.
    My only dream is that yours never come true.
    "People played violin as the Titanic sank. Tomorrow they will play Green Day songs with plastic keytars as their Hoovervilles burn."

Jun 2005
    New Zealand

You have a map of NZ as your avatar, does that mean you are an NZer? in which case is it $40NZ or $40US.

$40NZ is bargain central.

Aug 2006
    Omaha

Haha, it's 40US.I am moving to NZ for 7 months in June. Can't wait. Hows the magic scene down there? I'll be on the south island, Dunedin to be specific.

Anyway, I'm not sure about it still. Hmm. I love opening packs but I can't justify it that much. If it were like, Ravnica or Time Spiral or something, bring it on.

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

I don't know about a whole box, but a guy that owns a store in my town bought a really cheap box of Chinese 5th Dawn and I cleaned that stuff out, because he sold all the stuff at the same price as the English counterparts. So I got a ton of Chinese Witnesses, Visions, Platings, EE's, Crucible, etc. That was pretty fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

NO FUN JUST PSYCHATOGS
    Oct 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts

I would lean towards yes on this one. 5D Really did have some Legacy playables in it for sure. I wouldn't buy packs of it, but you're getting like a buck a pack here. That's reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook
    This change also changed the sideboard, Xantid Swarm - it’s been real. Peace.

Jun 2005
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by mikekelley View Post
    Haha, it's 40US.I am moving to NZ for 7 months in June. Can't wait. Hows the magic scene down there? I'll be on the south island, Dunedin to be specific.

Anyway, I'm not sure about it still. Hmm. I love opening packs but I can't justify it that much. If it were like, Ravnica or Time Spiral or something, bring it on.
    There is a magic scene in Dunedin they have one or two good players, I believe its small though. No one plays older formats here apart from me and about 12 others in the whole country. There are relatively big magic scenes in Hamilton, Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington, the big cities really.

Aug 2006
    Omaha

It is chinese, as well. The box, that is.

Phasing, cumulative upkeep, echo, fading, flanking, rampage
    Jul 2004
    Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by mikekelley View Post
    It is chinese, as well. The box, that is.
    Then I change my vote to yes.
    Old Fogey

You're not just wrong, rules say you're a dick!

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

Voted yes before, what's more fun than cracking a box or drafting it out? At a buck a pack, bonus! Kung-pao on top of that? Hell yes! Post what you get out of the box or who to contact to snipe said box if you, inexplicably, turn this down.
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Aug 2006
    Omaha

Yeah, there are a bunch of them. Here is the link for anyone else interested:

(it's 30.98 without shipping, 38.98 with shipping)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2512&rd=1&rd=1

I just picked up one. Seems like a great deal. I can't wait to crack some pork fried crucibles and general tsao's witnesses.

I would do it plus the shipping is free. At least it says on the auction listing.

Aug 2006
    Omaha

Got the box today. Cracked a chinese crucible, auriok champion, 3 magma jets, only 1 etnernal witness and some other neat stuff. I think I got thirteen or fourteen sparring collars as of my last count. I swear if I saw one more I'd burn them all.

HAS GOTTEN TOP DECKED LIKE NON OTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Sep 2006

I saw these too and that person also sold 40 dollar boxes of kamigawa. Ok deal for a person that just stared playing.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Anything printed within the last couple of years has had a really bad tendency to have a horrible ratio of the "chase" cards, like Witness in 5D (less than 1 per box ratio). Some are better than others, but not really anything is past this "shortage".

Typically I'd say no to most of the sets of the Mirrodin/Kamigawa block range @ $40 US(with the exception of Darksteel, probably) unless of course they're foreign. S-Chinese stuff in particular tends to sell pretty well too.
    Quote Originally Posted by YuanTi View Post
    Slightly off topic, but where is the Nourishing Lich in the DTB Forum?

Thread Information