Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] Can Solidarity Beat Angel's Grace?

Aug 2006
    Hudson Falls, NY

[Discussion] Can Solidarity Beat Angel's Grace?

With the release of time spiral I wonder if solidarity will be a viable deck anymore. Angel's Grace combined with one gaea's blessing wins u the game/match since the AG is a split second you can't counter or put it on the stack, it may as well read solidarity loses. Granted you could stifle the blessing but what happens when they run 4. Can solidarity get 4 stifles off?
    Let me know.

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Re: [Discussion] Can solidarity beat Angel's Grace?

They can stroke of genius you enough so that you have no cards/very little cards left. Then you lose when you have to draw and can't. I highly doubt that AG will make solidarity unviable.

Apr 2006
    Worcester/Boston, MA

What are you talking about? Stifle? Solidarity beats Blessing because it can simply Remand the original Brain Freeze and/or Wish for a lethal Stroke of Genius.

Edit -- Angel's Grace is still a perfectly good anti-combo card for white, but it just isn't enough to hurt Solidarity's viability. It can maybe win you the game if they had went off with lethal damage on the stack, but other than that will just stall since you lose with no cards to draw.

Aug 2006
    Hudson Falls, NY

Well you see, as soon as they go brain freeze and your blessings go on the stack. you then go angel's grace. They mill and make you draw all they want. you dont die, your blessings resolve and you take your next turn with a full deck and solidarity cant go off again. thats all I am saying.

Sure, 4 Angel's Grace plus 4 Gaea's Blessing is a big obstacle to High Tide, but that's a really narrow (read: bad) answer, since those cards are subpar(AG) to useless(GB) against everything else. Imagine if High Tide wanted to be that narrow. They could just run 4 Stifles and 4 Twincast in the board. Or they could splash black and run Cabal Therapy. Bye bye Angel's Grace.

I aim to misbehave

Sep 2005
    NYC...ish.

Who says it has to be 4x of each? 2x Blessing and 4x Grace could do the trick. 2 blessings to get milled, and 4 Grace to make sure you have them while they're comboing off. It could work in a g/w aggro deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    A "limited player" is a player with a mental handicap and is thus "limited"
    A "legacy player" is an old player that may or may not be senile.

Both require the use of diapers.

It seems that all you need are more Blessings than Solidarity's wished for Stifles. Played perfectly, Solidarity would have 3 Stifles, but that would require Wish -> Stifle, RFG Stifle with the Flashback card, Wish -> Stifle, RFG Stifle with the Flameback card, Wish -> Stifle leaving them exactly 1 Wish (if they even run 4) to find Stroke of Genius. With 4x Blessings and 4x Angel's Grace, finding 1 Grace would be enough to beat Solidarity.

Also, Solidarity has somewhere between 0 and 4 Twincasts in the board for the mirror, which it could also use to Stifle blessing Triggers. This might be more practical than the wishing/flashback plan.

However, what is to stop Solidarity from focusing on generating mana, make about 50 or so, and Stroke you for your deck? Then you fail to draw and lose on your turn, sooner or later. That would be the best workaround to Blessing + Angel's Grace, and much easier than getting a perfect ordering with Stifles and Wishes.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Who says it has to be 4x of each? 2x Blessing and 4x Grace could do the trick. 2 blessings to get milled, and 4 Grace to make sure you have them while they're comboing off.
    Like I said, if High Tide players really want to beat Angel's Grace, they can. There are a lot of options, especially if you consider a second color.

It could work in a g/w aggro deck.
    G/W Aggro? Does that beat any deck? I think High Tide would be the least of your problems.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
    Dec 2003
    Fredericksburg, Va

Unless you apply a lot of pressure (meaning heavy disruption or a turn 3-4 kill), Solidarity is very capable of beating Angel's Grace, even assuming that they don't know you have it.

As long as Solidarity goes off "fully," a good pilot will plan for Blessing, which means they will make sure they have access to Stroke before going for a lethal Freeze. However, once you start resolving Brain Freeze copies, you will almost certainly flip over an Angel's Grace, which will tell the Solidarity player not to Stroke you unless they think you don't have a Grace in hand.

Instead, the Solidarity player will Stroke themselves for 10-20 cards, and then pass the turn. This restock will allow them to go off again, after forcing the Grace out of your hand with a Turnabout. They can recur the Stroke with Flash of Insight+Cunning Wish.

This sequence sounds a lot harder to do than it actually is, since Solidarity has access to practically every card in their deck once they have gone off, and Angel's Grace does absolutely nothing to stop the combo before they go for the kill. Angel's Grace becomes more than obnoxious if you draw multiples, or if the Solidarity player waits until the last minute to go off, but in other situations it is worse than an actual disruption spell.

Basically, Angel's Grace will probably cause most smart Solidarity players to go off a little earlier against white decks, since playing through an Angel's Grace takes a couple turns. It will also make them dig a little more for Peek, which lets the Solidarity player know whether to play around Grace or not. The most radical effect Angel's Grace could possibly have is to make the Spring Tide plan of "eot, Turnabout you, untap, win on my turn" more popular among Reset players.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    However, what is to stop Solidarity from focusing on generating mana, make about 50 or so, and Stroke you for your deck? Then you fail to draw and lose on your turn, sooner or later. That would be the best workaround to Blessing + Angel's Grace, and much easier than getting a perfect ordering with Stifles and Wishes.
    The problem with this plan is that, as the Angel's Grace player, you get to draw the 3 remaining Graces and all of your Blessings. After using a Grace to survive your draw step, you can hardcast Blessings to maintain your library (and recur the Graces) indefinitely. Solidarity would have to counter every Blessing and survive a turn for each Grace, something that should be nearly impossible against an opponent who just drew every card in their deck.

Turnabout is a much better solution.
    Last edited by Obfuscate Freely; 10-30-2006 at 09:51 PM. Reason: run-on sentence
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9
    I can show up whenever I vomit off my hangover and get rid of the passed out females who's naked bodies will be sprawled out all over my condo. Oh wait, I'm engaged. FUCK.

Well in that case I can be there at like 2 then, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheBestEver View Post
    I built my car with my bare hands. It has 32 engines and 17 gas pedals so I can go extra-turbo fast. I sold it for a million dollars and then stole it from the guy using my super computer that can hack into any car in the world as long as I built it. Now I speed down the highway listening to Bruce Springsteen at max volume and flipping off other drivers.

What are regrets?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirdMan View Post
    Well you see, as soon as they go brain freeze and your blessings go on the stack. you then go angel's grace. They mill and make you draw all they want. you dont die, your blessings resolve and you take your next turn with a full deck and solidarity cant go off again. thats all I am saying.
    There is still a problem with that. After the Grace resolves, as long as Solidarity can deal with that 1 or 2 Blessing trigger, the whole deck still gets decked and you die on your next upkeep. Also, notice that after they finish combo and has milled you, they take their turn first, so there is a lot of chances for them to kill you there.

Like Ob Freely said, all the Grace does is make Solidarity player to try to combo a bit ealier and not combo with lethal damage on the stack, that's all.
    Nothing witty to say.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by iOWN View Post
    Edit -- Angel's Grace is still a perfectly good anti-combo card for white.
    No, it isn't. There isn't a combo deck in Legacy that it stops. Trade them.

OB Freely is right, and Angel's Grace is more or less absolute crap.

Let's assume for a minute that Angel's Grace was worth playing against Solidarity. The following points have been made with that assumption.

1. It's at its best when combined with Gaea's Blessing.

2. The combination of the two would be at their best in Green-White Aggro.

3. It could be done with as few as 4x Angel's Grace and 2x Gaea's Blessing.

Now you're dedicating six slots of your sideboard to these cards in the hopes of stopping Solidarity with whatever random Green-White Aggro deck you're running. This is not an inherently bad plan if your cards have broader usage. So let's see what they're good against.

A. Gaea's Blessing. Good against Solidarity. Moderately useful against Life From The Loam-based decks. ...Can, um, put three cards back against Threshold. Is an overpriced cantrip against everything else.

B. Angel's Grace. Good against Solidarity. Might be distantly useful against Affinity if they Fling/Berserk something. Absolute crap against everything else. (Note that Angel's Grace does not hurt any Tendrils-Based deck or Gamekeeper Salvagers, as Tendrils and Orzhov Guildmage both kill from Life Loss and can put you at 0 Life, causing you to lose at the beginning of your next turn.)

So for the most part, you're putting these six slots in to help against Solidarity only.

As for playing Solidarity against this, Obfuscate is completely correct about the means of victory. All Solidarity must do is restock its hand upon Angel's Grace resolving and draw mana out with Turnabouts. It's important to note that against G/W Aggro, lethal damage should never be on the stack. Giant Growth/Berserk can be countered should the combo be foiled for a turn by Angel's Grace, and if the attack would be for lethal damage without additional damage being provided from instants in the opponent's hand, the combo should be attempted prior to combat, leaving the option to use Turnabout to tap the opponent's creatures.

So in essence, you're committing six slots to defeat a deck that you won't necessarily defeat because of this. You're better off packing Chalice of the Void, True Believer, City of Solitude, or Armageddon. These at least help against other decks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Sep 2005
    Buffalo

Has anyone else noticed how bad Meditate is when playing against Angel's Grace? I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but if you have to meditate a couple times to go off, and Angel's Grace is casted, you're probably going to die before your next turn.
    Team Unicorn: We'll Go Nuts On Your Ass. If you catch my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by lonelybaritone View Post
    Oh, child Phil Stolze. You have changed me, fundamentally.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Actually, Meditate is fine. It allows you to avoid having to go to your own turn, and keep yourself in steady to go off again. As long as you've left some Resets and High Tides, you can just Freeze them, draw cards, pass the turn, then go off again in their next draw-step. Once you've gone off, you don't really need your turn. Also, Peek obviously lets you prepare and play around Angel's Grace. It simply means you have to go off twice. This all assuming you don't have an access to Stifle.

But yea, even with Grace, Solidarity can probably stack its library with Flash of Insight AND leave all lands untapped, making going off again EXTREMELY easy.

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

By itself, no, Angel's Grace will not beat Solidarity. Combined solely with Blessing, it will steal some games, and make life harder for unprepared/newer/inexperienced Solidarity players. However, you would be remiss not running Jotun Grunt in a deck like this anyway. Once you have that triumvirate as a base, you are in much better shape. The preceding discussion also presumes that you are GW (or Gw or gW....) when you might very well be RGw or UWg or any number of interesting color/card combinations. Cards don't stop decks, decks stop decks & without specific discussion of decks, this is a fascinating but ultimately useless exercise conducted in a vacuum.
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Sep 2005
    Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Actually, Meditate is fine. It allows you to avoid having to go to your own turn, and keep yourself in steady to go off again. As long as you've left some Resets and High Tides, you can just Freeze them, draw cards, pass the turn, then go off again in their next draw-step. Once you've gone off, you don't really need your turn. Also, Peek obviously lets you prepare and play around Angel's Grace. It simply means you have to go off twice. This all assuming you don't have an access to Stifle.

But yea, even with Grace, Solidarity can probably stack its library with Flash of Insight AND leave all lands untapped, making going off again EXTREMELY easy.
    If you have extra high tides, resets/turnabout's, and draw spells, why would you not be able to kill your opponent on the first try?

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by legacyplayer0 View Post
    If you have extra high tides, resets/turnabout's, and draw spells, why would you not be able to kill your opponent on the first try?
    Umm because of angel's grace, that's the whole thing we are talking about here.

Small Eyed Unicorn
    Mar 2006
    RoChEsTa

Quote Originally Posted by legacyplayer0 View Post

I should smack you upside the head. Not to mention, remembe Phil, it is actually 10:26 P.M. right now, not 11:26!
    Team Unicorn- "I'm Horny."

"The Wandering One" of Legacy.

"Glimmervoid, Go."

Sep 2005
    Buffalo

Re: [Discussion] Can Solidarity Beat Angel's Grace?

I admit it. I've never actually read the card.

Angel's Grace-target solidarity player can't win in response to alpha striking lethal damage.

oh, the oracle text?

W
    instant
    split second
    You can't lose the game this turn and your opponents can't win the game this turn. Until end of turn, damage that would reduce your life total to less than 1 reduces it to 1 instead.

it's also decent if you're racing goblins-but that's not the topic at hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    The fairly obvious flaw in your reasoning is that Dark Ritual and Wild Cantor do produce mana. Pretending they don't won't change the function of the cards.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    Angel's Grace-target solidarity player can't win in response to alpha striking lethal damage.

oh, the oracle text?

W
    instant
    split second
    You can't lose the game this turn and your opponents can't win the game this turn. Until end of turn, damage that would reduce your life total to less than 1 reduces it to 1 instead.

it's also decent if you're racing goblins-but that's not the topic at hand.
    Quite poor. They just Fanatic you in your upkeep.

Thread Information