Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Discussion] Can Solidarity Beat Angel's Grace?

Re: [Discussion] Can Solidarity Beat Angel's Grace?

Not really a good card against solidarity. It can only help if he is trying to go off resp to lethal damage, othervise you'll just lose the next turn..

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

The problem with Angel's Grace that I realized a couple nights ago is that it's often going to be played by complete idiots. People often just don't know how to play against Solidarity. I cast High Tide on about turn 6, he responded with Angel's Grace. I Remanded my High Tide and went off the next turn, Stroking him for the win.

Aug 2006
    Hudson Falls, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Meatwarz View Post
    Not really a good card against solidarity. It can only help if he is trying to go off resp to lethal damage, othervise you'll just lose the next turn..

Ok, the discussion is going well but please realize there are blessings involved so you start the next turn with a full deck once the grace resolves as well as the blessings.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

All things considered, Angels grace requires you to play White. White isn't all that widespread and most people aren't going to weaken up their manabase to support it when it's already a close match for most decks fighting Solidarity as it is.

Think about it this way.

Angel stompy - might use it.
    Gobbos - no reason to, it's already fast.
    Iggy pop - no reason to, just about as fast also
    Landstill - has counters already, good enough
    Deadguy - has discard and mana disruption, more than likely won't bother.
    Thresh - has counters and a nasty clock

That's really not really worth Solidarity worrying about. Sure some people might throw it in, but it's not worth a drastic change to the deck since most people aren't going to bother using it and Solidarity can go around it anyway.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

White Goblins might actually use it. They can usually kill at about the point Solidarity could go off, having the uncounterable means to postpone the 'going off' by one turn sure makes it a lot easier to go lethal. Then again, it's way too narrow, red blasts are generally far better, as well as Sirocco, Chalice and Pillar, as they have other uses.

Landstill's MU is horrible, but the problem is, Grace isn't going to solve anything as their problem is putting a clock on Solidarity. Grace just postpones the inevitable. Meddling Mage or such is again much better SB-card.

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

I think the better options are Orim's Chant or Abeyance in response to a un-tap or draw effect. But you also need to have muliples of them. But at least if you win the stack war you should get at least 1 extra turn and not have to worry about the having to cast Blessings to stay alive.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

Aug 2006
    Hudson Falls, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Brushwagg View Post
    I think the better options are Orim's Chant or Abeyance in response to a un-tap or draw effect. But you also need to have muliples of them. But at least if you win the stack war you should get at least 1 extra turn and not have to worry about the having to cast Blessings to stay alive.
    Or you could just use angels grace to get the other turn if thats what you really wanted plus blessings resolve for free you arent casting them :-/

Ok, the discussion is going well but please realize there are blessings involved so you start the next turn with a full deck once the grace resolves as well as the blessings.
    Well, after grace resolved, Solidarity played can still Stifle the blessing or in resp go of more.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    Iggy pop - no reason to, they can't win anyway
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatwarz View Post
    Well, after grace resolved, Solidarity played can still Stifle the blessing or in resp go of more.
    The solidarity player can't "go off more" in response to the Blessing trigger like they normally could, because the way out of that without letting Blessing resolve is a Stroke. After Angel's Grace, Stroke just puts a bunch of cards in their hand (probably giving them more Angel's Graces) and then Blessing will put their graveyard back in their library, so they won't lose.

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

This discussion is really really useless. No1 will ever play Angel's Grance, since it's a really bad answer to combo for most decks, simply because there are better options.

If Angels Grace would ever become a problem to Solidarity, they'd probably put 4 crypts in the board.......

Aug 2006
    Hudson Falls, NY

Well, I played the match up today and the turnabout their land during their upkeep works and then you just go off during their draw step after they draw so they cant play another land to cast grace. So I guess I answered my own question :-P.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirdMan View Post
    Well, I played the match up today and the turnabout their land during their upkeep works and then you just go off during their draw step after they draw so they cant play another land to cast grace. So I guess I answered my own question :-P.
    They kinda can just float mana from their upkeep to their draw though. Much rather play Turnabout in their main after they've played a land if that's what you want to do.

Aug 2006
    Hudson Falls, NY

First of all, you cant float mana from step to step. I guess you could do it during their main it doesnt effect it that much but idk why you would wait and allow them to play the card they drew, it may help them.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirdMan View Post
    First of all, you cant float mana from step to step.
    Yes you can. You can't float mana from phase to phase. From comprehensive rules:

3. Turn Structure

300. General

300.1. A turn consists of five phases, in this order: beginning, precombat main, combat, postcombat main, and end. Each of these phases takes place every turn, even if nothing happens during the phase. The beginning, combat, and end phases are further broken down into steps, which proceed in order.

300.2. A phase or step ends when the stack is empty and all players pass in succession. No game events can occur between turns, phases, or steps. Simply having the stack become empty doesn't cause the phase or step to end; all players have to pass with the stack empty. Because of this, each player gets a chance to add new things to the stack before the current phase or step ends.

300.3. When a phase ends (but not a step), any unused mana left in a player's mana pool is lost. That player loses 1 life for each one mana lost this way. This is called mana burn. Mana burn is loss of life, not damage, so it can't be prevented or altered by effects that affect damage. This game action doesn't use the stack. (See rule 406, "Mana Abilities.")

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Keep in mind that's the only part of an entire turn that can be used to float mana into another step. If they have nothing to do after the draw, they burn as soon as the Main Phase 1 starts.
    Quote Originally Posted by YuanTi View Post
    Slightly off topic, but where is the Nourishing Lich in the DTB Forum?

Living in an area where no one plays Legacy
    Nov 2003

How About, Solidarity "go's off" decks you ha leathal draw on the stack you angels grace and you brainstorm to put 2 cards back in your deck? All in all Angels Grace is a small issue at best and not really worth its salt.
    Major Deck Projects
    Deck 2012: Angel Walk
    Deck 2009: Tombstone
    Deck 2007: Exploration Crucible:
    Deck 2005:Bob the Belcher:

Thread Information