Page 858 of 956 FirstFirst ... 358758808848854855856857858859860861862868908 ... LastLast
Results 17,141 to 17,160 of 19120

Thread: [DO NOT TRY TO SELL IN HERE] Pimp Legacy Decks

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Re: [DO NOT TRY TO SELL IN HERE] Pimp Legacy Decks

What's the thought on slightly offset frames on high-end cards? I'm buying a FBB Underground Sea and have the option between 2 SP cards: one card has slightly more ware but is centered, the other has less ware and is slightly off center (same price). Thoughts?

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    What's the thought on slightly offset frames on high-end cards? I'm buying a FBB Underground Sea and have the option between 2 SP cards: one card has slightly more ware but is centered, the other has less ware and is slightly off center (same price). Thoughts?
    I'd probably go with the nicer condition one unless it really bothers you. Magic cards were never perfectly centered then, so it doesn't strike me as particularly out of place.
    If the difference in condition is marginal I'd lean towards the centered one though. Regardless, after a week of playing with it you'll barely notice anymore.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Nov 2011
    Krems an der Donau, Austria

The only real Legacy Card!

the no.1 priority would be to get a german one because of colors (and pimp factor), then I'd go with better condition

So yesterday I had a chance to buy an Expedition Ancient Tomb for $130. I thought about it long and hard, and I still might get my playset, but I'm undecided as to whether or not I really want this version of the card in my pimped out MUD deck. The only other foil option is the FTV Tombs, which aren't exactly worlds better, but I have to say that the Expedition Tomb underwhelmed me a bit in person. The foiling process looks too uniform, like the card is just washed in foil, and the art is a little hum-drum.

Jul 2015
    Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    So yesterday I had a chance to buy an Expedition Ancient Tomb for $130. I thought about it long and hard, and I still might get my playset, but I'm undecided as to whether or not I really want this version of the card in my pimped out MUD deck. The only other foil option is the FTV Tombs, which aren't exactly worlds better, but I have to say that the Expedition Tomb underwhelmed me a bit in person. The foiling process looks too uniform, like the card is just washed in foil, and the art is a little hum-drum.
    yeah I don't get the whole "expedition" thing. Sure the pictures are beautiful, but the frame really doesn't fit, the foiling is on the same level than FTV, and it isn't truly full art. I opened one and I'm keeping it, but just wainting for the prices to rise and sell it.
    My altered art galery: http://french-alters.jimdo.com/
    I take commissions, PM for more infos!

bruizar

I'm in the same position. I can't make up my mind. My guess is they will become more expensive as time passes, but yeah the Ancient Tomb is so... un-tombish. We also have the problem of City of Traitors, which I'll never be able to afford in foil assuming I can find them in the first place.

Yes, the art might be nice, ok, but it's not the original art of the ancient tomb. At least FTV tombs have the original art.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

I'd go so far to say that the more pimp Tombs are definitely either Japanase, Korean or German ones. Both FTV as well as Expeditions are hideous, imho.

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    the no.1 priority would be to get a german one because of colors (and pimp factor), then I'd go with better condition
    I'm thinking the condition is most important as well. I've actually committed to the French FBB as I consciously decided to stay away from the masculinity many MTG collectors place on the German language. French must be more "pimp"!

I'd take Korean ones all day before foil reprints.

Quote Originally Posted by French Alters View Post
    yeah I don't get the whole "expedition" thing. Sure the pictures are beautiful, but the frame really doesn't fit, the foiling is on the same level than FTV, and it isn't truly full art. I opened one and I'm keeping it, but just wainting for the prices to rise and sell it.
    I don't mind the boarders that much, still better than the present boarder... most of pics suck hard and the foiling is awful, the Strip Mine is the only one I actually like

regarding Tombs the only acceptable printing for me is the original which goes well with Cities

I'm thinking the condition is most important as well. I've actually committed to the French FBB as I consciously decided to stay away from the masculinity many MTG collectors place on the German language. French must be more "pimp"!
    for me it's really about the Sea which looks much better in german than other languages due to the reddish colors imo, I haven't researched if it's a matter of the whole set and how other duals look like next to each other ... if you've already started by french and prefer it, condition is the parameter

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

I had never considered the red tint before. To me, it seems like the German is most red, then French, and then Italian is almost like the English. I wonder why this is?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I had never considered the red tint before. To me, it seems like the German is most red, then French, and then Italian is almost like the English. I wonder why this is?
    Italian was printed first, I believe then French, then German. The printing in German is essentially the same process they used to print 4th Edition, while French is almost the same as well. The Italian ones still use the old tap symbol and aren't as vibrant. I also find that there is a slight tactile difference in the way the card feels sleeved, but that might just be me.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

The thing with Expeditions is that they are just a cashgrab by wotc, creating artificially scarce promos for the sole purpose of selling more packs. Basically people think they are 'pimp' because wotc says so. The value of traditional desireable cards comes from their scarcity (specifically foreign cards) and how the different typeface looks. Not to mention that the border looks gaudy and the design isn't a true full art like the champs promos. It isn't like other promos that are made as a sort of payment to judges or for attending an event of some sort. Its probably their policy to milk expensive reprintable cards through repeated promos before any widespread printing, I mean Wasteland has gotten what, 3 promos already?

Do I feel guilty? A little bit I suppose. But, as a Factory enthusiast, I couldn't resist picking these up.

Also, I'm terrible at double sleeving apparently.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    The thing with Expeditions is that they are just a cashgrab by wotc, creating artificially scarce promos for the sole purpose of selling more packs. Basically people think they are 'pimp' because wotc says so. The value of traditional desireable cards comes from their scarcity (specifically foreign cards) and how the different typeface looks. Not to mention that the border looks gaudy and the design isn't a true full art like the champs promos. It isn't like other promos that are made as a sort of payment to judges or for attending an event of some sort. Its probably their policy to milk expensive reprintable cards through repeated promos before any widespread printing, I mean Wasteland has gotten what, 3 promos already?
    Word. Hardly consider them pimp. I actually thought these were all proxy printouts for people's cubes lol. The major turnoff is the janky yugioh sticker at the bottom.
    We have had old foiled out cards never foiled before, old school foiling for "modern" cards, and now pseudo full arts. What is the next gimmick? Invitational cards with updated art of the actual player?

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by snorlaxcom View Post
    Invitational cards with updated art of the actual player?
    Close already with Snapcaster Mage en Dark Confidant.
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    Close already with Snapcaster Mage en Dark Confidant.
    The only time we this was ever done was with Voidmage. That was more an apology for the first art.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    The only time we this was ever done was with Voidmage. That was more an apology for the first art.
    We were both half right. I was incomplete.

Magic Invitational winners and their cards

1996-97 Olle Råde Sylvan Safekeeper
    1997-98 Darwin Kastle Avalanche Riders
    1998-99 Mike Long Rootwater Thief
    1999-2000 Chris Pikula Meddling Mage
    2000-01 Jon Finkel Shadowmage Infiltrator
    2001-02 Kai Budde Voidmage Prodigy
    2002-03 Jens Thoren Solemn Simulacrum
    2003-04 Bob Maher Dark Confidant
    2005 Terry Soh Rakdos Augermage
    2006 Antoine Ruel Ranger of Eos
    2007 Tiago Chan Snapcaster Mage
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Thread Information