Page 120 of 956 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170220620 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 19120

Thread: [DO NOT TRY TO SELL IN HERE] Pimp Legacy Decks

Re: [Bragging] Pimp Legacy Decks

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    Yeah, because white borders look oh so hawt. I get that summer magic is ultra rare and expensive, but Revised cards that look like Fourth Ed. aren't so hot to look at. Just my humble opinion.
    Agreed. Having summer cards is impressive, but as far as actually looking good, they comes up pretty short. It's about the equivalent of stapling hundred dollar bills onto eighth edition basic lands. Nobody is going to deny that you're rich as hell, but I wouldn't call it stylish either.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Being a 1C 2/1 with an ability isn't enough to make a card good by default. Elvish Archer is to First Striking as Dark Confidant is to card draw, and Nezumi Graverobber is to robbing graves as Tarmogoyf is to being much much better than a 2/1, but what the fuck does that even mean?

Magic Librarian
    Aug 2007
    Johannes de Silentio

I don't like to get dragged into discussions on what type of card > another type of card, but I'll chime in a bit with my thoughts on the appeal of summer magic. I can get why some don't like summer magic (I honestly do), as it is after all white-bordered and borders on ridiculously expensive. That said, summer magic actually looks pretty good (white borders notwithstanding). The colour contrast is very strong, and I find it appealing. Compare a green Revised card to a green Summer card. The difference in looks is obvious, and the latter looks better.

That said, a huge part of choosing card aesthetics to play isn't just about looks, but also about forging a unique deck identity. That was one of the reasons for the migration towards Asian cards in the first place. Due to summer's unique place in the game's history, it gives players who actually play with summer pieces a distinct (sometimes rightly associated with elitist) identity, while also being an ode to the game's history. Then and again, there are those who play summer just to showcase the cards' monetary value, but that applies even to decks with Asian foils.

As for birds, the test print is probably rarer, but summer has a kind of mystique that the Jud prints just lack. I play Beta birds, though. Those look the best (save Alpha, which is dodgy due to the corners).
    One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

Banned

May 2007
    jersey

Summer cards do look pretty awesome. The inking is darker and it is very evident on the duals especially. Summer underground sea has the dark inking that fbb sea's have with a white border and they look pretty freaking sweet imo.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Quote Originally Posted by andrew77 View Post
    Summer cards do look pretty awesome. The inking is darker and it is very evident on the duals especially. Summer underground sea has the dark inking that fbb sea's have with a white border and they look pretty freaking sweet imo.
    Meh, I know it's all personal taste and there is no right and wrong, but here is an example of Summer and non-Summer. What would everyone rather? Arabian Nights or Summer, solely based on looks?

I can only see wanting to play the blue Hurricane, but then again, it's too expensive to play with it (makes Beta Black Lotus look like a LED) and Hurricane is unplayable.
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    Meh, I know it's all personal taste and there is no right and wrong, but here is an example of Summer and non-Summer. What would everyone rather? Arabian Nights or Summer, solely based on looks?

I can only see wanting to play the blue Hurricane, but then again, it's too expensive to play with it (makes Beta Black Lotus look like a LED) and Hurricane is unplayable.
    You don't seem to understand the vanity that Magic players have. Having Summer Magic cards is not a matter of how the look but about scarcity. Its the same motivating factor behind having a foil card or an old faced art; except with the former there is a consensus that the car looks better.

As for the argument that Summer Cards look better they only look better when compared to Revised and 4th edition cards. Anything else is looking at it through the filter that the card is that rare. The statement White borders not withstanding" is a big concession that the cards look like shit. Comparing Green revised cards to summer revised cards is a moot point because these are green cards. Wild Growth and Scryb Sprites are really the only green cards that would conceivably be played from the set, and when you expand to other colors the commons and uncommons that you can make a list for is still pretty short, and if you have access to Summer cards your certainly not considering playing Revised or 4th edition cards.

Nov 2004
    Clawson, Michigan

I've got a black sharpee if you want to make your Summer Magic cards playable btw.
    Team Technology - Think it's good? Prove it.

Mar 2009
    Italy

I think there is no reason to play uncommon or rare summer cards just 'cuz there are so few copies that u can't risk to deteriorate a milestone in the mtg collector world.

I love summer cards but they'r too much expensive for me right now, btw if I see someone that tutor with a demonic summer I'm quite sad and I think he's not able to know the "value" of that card!

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerForHire View Post
    I've got a black sharpee if you want to make your Summer Magic cards playable btw.
    On a similar note: Is there any matt sharpee? (I'd like to BB some of my crappy stuff - Serendib Efreet, City of Brass, etc. - which is useless to hunt for.) Any idea? So far anything I used was gloss and the borders look hideous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    Lol. You're my hero .
    Was this even a real Skeggi's hero?

Confound these ponies, they drive me to Brony.
    Nov 2007
    Rittman, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    On a similar note: Is there any matt sharpee? (I'd like to BB some of my crappy stuff - Serendib Efreet, City of Brass, etc. - which is useless to hunt for.) Any idea? So far anything I used was gloss and the borders look hideous.
    Sharpie is usually bad to BB with.
    A mix of Carbon Black, Raw Umber, and a teeny bit of white (values differ depending what set the card came from) fluid acrylic paint does the trick PERFECTLY
    However, if you are limited to sharpie, you can either simply rub it for a bit and it will become more dull, or use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.
    Men yet not comprehending their stick in the scheme of the prey-on-prey ballet of ending day
    My eBay Auctions (art alterations! I FIXED THE LINK) - http://shop.ebay.com/yawg07/m.html

Magic Librarian
    Aug 2007
    Johannes de Silentio

Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
    You don't seem to understand the vanity that Magic players have. Having Summer Magic cards is not a matter of how the look but about scarcity. Its the same motivating factor behind having a foil card or an old faced art; except with the former there is a consensus that the car looks better.

As for the argument that Summer Cards look better they only look better when compared to Revised and 4th edition cards. Anything else is looking at it through the filter that the card is that rare. The statement White borders not withstanding" is a big concession that the cards look like shit. Comparing Green revised cards to summer revised cards is a moot point because these are green cards. Wild Growth and Scryb Sprites are really the only green cards that would conceivably be played from the set, and when you expand to other colors the commons and uncommons that you can make a list for is still pretty short, and if you have access to Summer cards your certainly not considering playing Revised or 4th edition cards.
    The point is not that summer looks better than beta, it is that summer is played for the reasons both of us have stated, and that it doesn't look as bad as is often pointed out. It isn't necessarily a concession that summer looks terrible, because it does not, it is however a statement that summer is played for identity reasons. Vintage decks with summer one-ofs look better and more unique. Certainly, a summer sol ring is a lot better to look at than the multitude of sol rings altered to look like Kenny or Sauron's eye.

If anyone feels that Summer looks like crap while just being expensive, just s****** to yourself knowing that your opponent has blown a couple thousand on that sol ring or tutor which doesn't look as good as your 70 dollar beta copy. The argument about why people like to play certain cards over others is boring, and achieves less than Clay Aiken at a whorehouse.
    One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by comeback View Post
    I think there is no reason to play uncommon or rare summer cards just 'cuz there are so few copies that u can't risk to deteriorate a milestone in the mtg collector world.

I love summer cards but they'r too much expensive for me right now, btw if I see someone that tutor with a demonic summer I'm quite sad and I think he's not able to know the "value" of that card!
    In some cases, that's why the player is using that Summer Demonic. To him he likely feels it's the most pimp to have the most expensive deck possible, so instead of using a beta tutor or an altered tutor or a DCI foil, he's using the literal most expensive copy of the card he can find.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by yawg07 View Post
    A mix of Carbon Black, Raw Umber, and a teeny bit of white (values differ depending what set the card came from) fluid acrylic paint does the trick PERFECTLY
    However, if you are limited to sharpie, you can either simply rub it for a bit and it will become more dull, or use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.
    I'm really happy that a little bit of this information was publicly divulged. I've seen a lot of laypeople ask for tips on how to do minor things with cards and get no response. It harkens back to some sort of guild where only people in field could learn some of the techniques while everyone else was excluded from learning about some of the more baseline techniques and lost interest. As I understand it Bigup pioneered his own method of painting on foils to maintain a reflectiveness, and I can understand wanting to safeguard it for a variety of reasons. I will concede that there is a high probability that information is shared with those who ask just not publicly, but it seems like making a lot of the more basic information common knowledge would save a lot of hassle of people bugging you as there could simply be a link to common answers in your signiture.

Anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Occam View Post
    Vintage decks with summer one-ofs look better and more unique. ]
    Heh, you said, "...more unique."

Confound these ponies, they drive me to Brony.
    Nov 2007
    Rittman, OH

Bigup shared his techniques with me via PM, not sure if they are all public knowledge or not.
    A lot of it is really the same as what people have been doing with acetone, BUT there is a really interesting sandpaper method.

I came up with the mixes of colors for different sets for BB'ing cards, even though Catherine is better at actually executing it.
    I also came up with the magic-eraser sharpie BB'ing method, I posted a BB guide on a lot of forums a while back.
    I don't mind telling people how I do most things, I'm usually just really lazy and don't answer my PMs.
    Men yet not comprehending their stick in the scheme of the prey-on-prey ballet of ending day
    My eBay Auctions (art alterations! I FIXED THE LINK) - http://shop.ebay.com/yawg07/m.html

Dan
    Sep 2008
    NoVA

I'm usually just really lazy and don't answer my PMs.
    apparently even when those PMs could make you money...
    Rules Advisor

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    Lol. You're my hero .
    Was this even a real Skeggi's hero?

French collector

Sep 2009

Due to my "dumbness" i figured out after only 2 monthes what i had to do in order to be allowed to post for the first time but i hope you'll like this first pic

My pimp garden deck (still a lot to do, especially after changing manabase + selling some cards to buy high-end cards i'll post later)

*summer forest
    *foil were possible (english or french, managed to get foil japanese crucibles and 2 fetches but i didn't really enjoyed them + too expensive)
    *altered italian tabernacle (bigup alteration... of course )
    *mint mishra's, nm to nm/m A/B duals (i upgraded every dual to minty alpha since this pic)

Some of the forest + tabernacle i love to play!

very nice cards. great post

nicely done, Maze is definately a card where I prefer the judge art.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibsonmac View Post
    nicely done, Maze is definately a card where I prefer the judge art.
    I don't know about this man...

I might be one of the few people out there who actually dig the Anson Maddocks style of art, but I think he produced some awesome stuff, and the original Maze of Ith is one of my favorites of his.
    Bless your heart, we must consider Blue/White Tempo's strategy and win percentages in an entirely different deck thread. -4eak

Banned

May 2007
    jersey

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDemonKn1ght View Post
    I don't know about this man...

I might be one of the few people out there who actually dig the Anson Maddocks style of art, but I think he produced some awesome stuff, and the original Maze of Ith is one of my favorites of his.
    I like the original ones more too, but it might be because I hate the new card frame. I actually enjoy the italian ones the most. The inking is different than on english ones and they are much rarer.

Thread Information