Page 940 of 956 FirstFirst ... 440840890930936937938939940941942943944950 ... LastLast
Results 18,781 to 18,800 of 19120

Thread: [DO NOT TRY TO SELL IN HERE] Pimp Legacy Decks

Re: [DO NOT TRY TO SELL IN HERE] Pimp Legacy Decks

Quote Originally Posted by KIP_NZ View Post
    What a Random post....I considered ignoring it but I don't mind sharing pictures? If you want more I'm on Twitter with the same name....
    I'm sure there's a good reason. He is like one of the kings of pimp. ;)

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

What a Random post....I considered ignoring it but I don't mind sharing pictures? If you want more I'm on Twitter with the same name....

Is it just me or is that card a fake, and a poor one at that? Look at the bottom of the card.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkii View Post
    Now we wait for his response.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Is it just me or is that card a fake, and a poor one at that? Look at the bottom of the card.
    nothing jumps out at me as super fake other than the excess white around some of the lettering. Normally it is darker but there are a number of reasons that could cause it. The picture might have odd lighting. The first printings of magic cards were no very consistent like today.

I have tons of alpha / beta cards and some feel a little different. For example I have a beta channel (acquired when it was < $10) that seems fake to the touch, the printing is dark, and it just seems odd. BUT there was no reason to ever fake a beta channel. Furthermore it passed the light test and other inspections.

Something that jumps out as normal on that card is the wear and tear. Whitening along the edges is consistent with normal magic cards.

TLDR, the printings had a lot of inconsistencies so dont be so quick to jump to a fake.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Dec 2013

It might just be me, but especially when you zoom in a bit on the edges it looks like it's just a piece of paper glued onto another card, especially in the lower corners.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

It might just be me, but especially when you zoom in a bit on the edges it looks like it's just a piece of paper glued onto another card, especially in the lower corners.
    i see what you are saying but that could be a issue with image quality. It is also in a sleeve and that can create phantom inconsistencies.

Check out these. There are a lot of inconsistencies just between these 4 random red cards i pulled out of a beta stack.

http://imgur.com/a/5KDBx

Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Dec 2013

Yeah, they show the exact same thing, especially that Shivan Dragon. I guess it's me then
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkii View Post
    Turns out its what's called in printing / misprints as a registration error (I learned this today), discussion on this / other cards from the same sheet is happening over on the misprints FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/MTGm...04145379683008

Apparently in beta twisters its not uncommon but according to my googling today & several messages I've had mine is more shifted / dramatic than others. Side note the wheel from likely the same sheet was posted in the comments.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Yeah, they show the exact same thing, especially that Shivan Dragon. I guess it's me then
    What you're looking at is a "feature" of beta cards. You'd be hard pressed to find one without that look near the corners.

Dec 2013

Did not know that. Thank you!
    DAMMIT ECHELON

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    What you're looking at is a "feature" of beta cards. You'd be hard pressed to find one without that look near the corners.
    The fact it's a picture of a card, border included, sized down and printed on a card with a border?
    That's the best part of Beta cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Jul 2007
    The Frozen North

Turns out its what's called in printing / misprints as a registration error (I learned this today), discussion on this / other cards from the same sheet is happening over on the misprints FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/MTGm...04145379683008

Apparently in beta twisters its not uncommon but according to my googling today & several messages I've had mine is more shifted / dramatic than others. Side note the wheel from likely the same sheet was posted in the comments.
    Hey KIP_NZ,

Not to derail your thread, but I clicked on your link to the Facebook group and there were some comments about an Artist Portfolio a couple of items down. I'm not on Facebook so I couldn't comment there, but I know exactly what that is (entire history). If there is someone from that thread that wants to reach out to me I can fill them in.

Again, sorry for derailing your post.

Take it easy,
    Jared
    "You consider me the young apprentice,
    Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
    Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

How about you fill us all in for MtG lore's sake, and the FB people can source that here 😃

Jul 2007
    The Frozen North

LOL... fair enough, I can do that.

Here's my original post on the subject over on the Librarities site 6 years ago...

As for the mural, sorry, can't help. I do know the next year they did something similar by having each artist do a sketch and putting together a Magic: the Gathering Portfolio that they also sold for charity. There were 10 different pages of sketches and 199 prints were made of each page. After that 200 portfolios (1 of each page, 10 total pages) were assembled - 190 of just prints and 10 that contained 1 original page and 9 prints. After that they were randomized, individually numbered and sold off. They came in a large manila envelope with an official label decal on the front and #/200 on the back. Lots of people had the artists sketch on the envelopes too.

I was at GenCon in '95 when they did these. I bought one (#147/200), but mine didn't win the "original sketch lottery". It still was really cool - I did get Anson Maddocks to sketch a picture on the back of mine.

Take it easy,
    Jared

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by thulnanth View Post
    LOL... fair enough, I can do that.

Here's my original post on the subject over on the Librarities site 6 years ago...

As for the mural, sorry, can't help. I do know the next year they did something similar by having each artist do a sketch and putting together a Magic: the Gathering Portfolio that they also sold for charity. There were 10 different pages of sketches and 199 prints were made of each page. After that 200 portfolios (1 of each page, 10 total pages) were assembled - 190 of just prints and 10 that contained 1 original page and 9 prints. After that they were randomized, individually numbered and sold off. They came in a large manila envelope with an official label decal on the front and #/200 on the back. Lots of people had the artists sketch on the envelopes too.

I was at GenCon in '95 when they did these. I bought one (#147/200), but mine didn't win the "original sketch lottery". It still was really cool - I did get Anson Maddocks to sketch a picture on the back of mine.

Take it easy,
    Jared
    I don't know if it is just me, but I've always wondered what your mtg backstory is. I know it is weird, but ever since I've started lurking around here, I have always been intensely curious as to your involvement with MTG, especially in its infancy. Are you just a long time collector or more involved than that?

Jul 2007
    The Frozen North

Quote Originally Posted by mini1337s View Post
    I don't know if it is just me, but I've always wondered what your mtg backstory is. I know it is weird, but ever since I've started lurking around here, I have always been intensely curious as to your involvement with MTG, especially in its infancy. Are you just a long time collector or more involved than that?
    LOL, nothing super dramatic. I've been playing MtG since I was first introduced to it in 1993 - my first purchase was 26 boosters of Unlimited in December '93. The art was always a big part for me, so early on I made efforts to meet the artists (and along with that some of the "behind the scence people"). I was a regular at GenCon until '04, so I got to meet lots of people, including many overseas enthusiasts who made the trip to Milwaukee. As someone who fell for the game hard early on I absorbed everything - booster box openings, early magazine articles, craziness at card stores, etc. With everything back then being "pre-internet" (so to speak), you had to hit shops, Cons, and magazines to get the pulse of things... something I excelled at (lol). I was also older when the game came out (22), so I could be more involved.

(Side note... many of my early games were at the college frat house. In addition, the major game store in the Twin Cities had a limit on the number of players allowed in the store at the time, so we'd go next door to the bar and buy rounds of beer and play there until space opened up. It makes me chuckle to hear many players talk about playing MtG in grade school - I can't imagine the game without a beer or two )

Before I got into Magic I was a huge card collector (mostly baseball). As such, I was the only one of my group who spent time assembling sets and putting stuff in binders. In '04 when PSA dipped its toe into the MtG world I was right there. That allowed me to meet many of the people who would be big in the grading community - some are still friends.

So to answer your question, I'm just a very avid player/collector who was fortunate enough to be there right at the start of this crazy ride.

Take it easy,
    Jared

PS - I don't post often, but I hit this site (and many others) almost every day... it's fun for me to listen to other MtG fans and feel their excitement and passion for the game (good and bad, lol)

These are all the good old cards I have, never power :(

Nov 2010
    Tacoma, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    These are all the good old cards I have, never power :(

Nice start! keep on getting the good stuff!

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

SCG announced changes in their grading scale:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...d-Grading.html

Based on the ad-icle, the last time they changed the grading scale it eventually became the standard used for grading Magic.
    So a change like this could possibly sweep through the industry again.

TL;DR - SCG will now grade cards as Near Mint, Played, and Heavily Played

Jul 2007
    The Frozen North

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    SCG announced changes in their grading scale:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...d-Grading.html

Based on the ad-icle, the last time they changed the grading scale it eventually became the standard used for grading Magic.
    So a change like this could possibly sweep through the industry again.

TL;DR - SCG will now grade cards as Near Mint, Played, and Heavily Played
    LOL... this is more or less the system I've used since MtG came out in '93 (unplayed, played, HP/damaged). Makes me happy to see I was 25 years ahead of the curve, lol.

Take it easy,
    Jared

Thread Information