Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unlocking Legacy - European Developments

Attractive and Successful
    Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

Unlocking Legacy - European Developments

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/new...cle/13901.html

New Kids On The Block had a bunch of hits, Chinese food makes me sick, I think it's fly when girls stop by for the summer.

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

Re: Unlocking Legacy - European Developments

Someone took Nourishing Lich to a Legacy tournament! And they took 6th place 0_o.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

That other Stax guy
    Dec 2004
    Germany

As has already been said in the SCG forums Nefarious Lich has no triggers so technically you are right in that the combo can also work like you said with Lich however that part was a bit confusing because the decklist you had didn't play the original Lich.
    Oh and Overgrown Estate is in there because it can be fetched with Academy Rector for those few who didn't figure it out yet :)
    Anyway once again a great article full of hot deck tech and ideas.
    "Anybody want some . . . toast?" —Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

Wow, that Affinity deck has alot of inivation to it.

But with only 16 blue cards to support both FoW and Chrome Mox?
    Last edited by Happy Gilmore; 03-23-2007 at 12:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore View Post
    Wow, that Affinity deck as alot of inivation to it.

But with only 16 blue cards to support both FoW and Chrome Mox?
    FoW could easily have been something else. This reminds me of that Ninja Affinity with Erayo in old T2. I should test it...
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Anti~American4621 View Post
    FoW could easily have been something else. This reminds me of that Ninja Affinity with Erayo in old T2. I should test it...
    It's an awesome deck though and the fact that FoW is free makes the turn 3 kills all that harder to deal with. That deck is actually darned close to Faerie Stompy in many ways, it accelerates its gameplan with arti lands and Tomb, it plays a few very big guys (esp. thanks to Arcbound and Plating) and keeps the opponent out of the game with Chalice and Force while swinging FTW. Basically just FS with different dudes and less Chalices (4 as opposed to 8). Definitely shores up the traditionally-horrible combo MU Affinity suffers of and gives the deck at least SOME ways to handle those Rods and such. But yea, I think 16 cards will support those just fine. If there's absolutely nothing else you can do, feel free to pitch FoW to Mox.

To me, that's the most reminiscent of Ninja Frogs, although it isn't that far from the Erayo-Ninja Affinity either.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    It's an awesome deck though and the fact that FoW is free makes the turn 3 kills all that harder to deal with. That deck is actually darned close to Faerie Stompy in many ways, it accelerates its gameplan with arti lands and Tomb, it plays a few very big guys (esp. thanks to Arcbound and Plating) and keeps the opponent out of the game with Chalice and Force while swinging FTW. Basically just FS with different dudes and less Chalices (4 as opposed to 8). Definitely shores up the traditionally-horrible combo MU Affinity suffers of and gives the deck at least SOME ways to handle those Rods and such. But yea, I think 16 cards will support those just fine. If there's absolutely nothing else you can do, feel free to pitch FoW to Mox.

To me, that's the most reminiscent of Ninja Frogs, although it isn't that far from the Erayo-Ninja Affinity either.
    I dunno. Erayo-Ninja Affinity had Erayo as a Prison/Cad Advantage piece, as well as Mana Leak to protect/stall. It seems that Chalice of the Void is doing that as well as well as FoW to serve the place of Mana Leak, so I guess it shares some elements.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

16 blue cards is the accepted minimum to play FoW. I'm not sure if it still works when you throw in the Mox, though. On the one side, it eats a blue spell every time; on the other, it can give you a use for FoW if you don't have a second blue card to pitch to it (or if you are unwilling to pitch it - say, a Tomb, Mox, Faeries opening).
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Doug, that was a really good and really informative read. Thank you for putting in the time and energy to research that stuff for us.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Doug, that was a really good and really informative read. Thank you for putting in the time and energy to research that stuff for us.
    Agreed. Nice read and a great idea for an article. Well done, Doug. :)

Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

Thanks, guys! I hope you can excuse it being a day late then...

And I'd play the AfFOWnity list over Faerie Stompy because your creatures and equipment look a lot better.

Insert Clever Adjetives Here
    Jun 2006
    Austin Texas

Yeah I agree, nice article. It opened my eyes to the European meta and it was worth a day to wait for.
    The Firebrothers
    Scrubbing out of tournements since 2005.

"Large in the margin
    my drama unfolds behind closed doors...."

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

None of this makes these decks good. In fact, I haven't seen decks this janky-looking since I took 2nd in a 22 person tournament with a black green deck running Tempting Wurm, Bane of the Living, and the ever-unbeatable Dodecapod / Chain of Smog combo (Chain the opponent when you don't have board control, they bounce, you drop 1-2 Dodecapods and bounce again. GG.)

Also, the logic that a deck is good because it made top eight is flawed if not absurd. Almost any deck can top eight if it hits the right matchups, has good draws, or is piloted by a skilled player.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    None of this makes these decks good. In fact, I haven't seen decks this janky-looking since I took 2nd in a 22 person tournament with a black green deck running Tempting Wurm, Bane of the Living, and the ever-unbeatable Dodecapod / Chain of Smog combo (Chain the opponent when you don't have board control, they bounce, you drop 1-2 Dodecapods and bounce again. GG.)

Also, the logic that a deck is good because it made top eight is flawed if not absurd. Almost any deck can top eight if it hits the right matchups, has good draws, or is piloted by a skilled player.
    I know! I've won so many tourneys with 60Island.dec based on bluffing skill alone. They think I'm playing Solidarity and concede.

I'm not saying that to be incendiary but simply as a point that, especially in larger tournament scenes like the Affinity deck purports to have won, there's far more luck after making the top eight than before. Previous to the T8, it's an acid test (as I'm sure you already know, but it obviously varies from meta to meta.) In the meantime, it's alright to give these decks props for innovation and the accomplishments earned so far.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

So, when a deck you create makes top8, we will know that it isn't really a good deck because it got lucky and made it into top8. Yeah, it's always about luck, especially in an 87-person event.

Worst character ever
    Sep 2004
    Newton, MA

Wow. I guess no one really does play combo over in Europe.
    OH SHIT THERES A HORSE IN THE HOSPITAL

Team Slay and Lego: Slay your a tool and your glasses are almost as GAY as your retarded snitch of a boyfriend Lego. Lego focus on your own game you are a fucking clown and should have heard the rediculous amount of people saying how much of a dick you were being and what kind of a fool you are. I laugh at you two. Seriously you both need attitude adjustments. I have never encountered a larger pair of pussy bitches in my whole life.

Monster Xero
    Sep 2006
    Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Slay View Post
    What do you call the Lich deck?
    Team ICBE

Try not to wake up on fire.

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Kudos on a great article! I love that affownity build.
    Team Info-Ninja: Shhh... We don't exist.

Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Slay View Post
    I provided links to the T8s that the lists were in because they illustrate that you are incorrect. Take a look at them, you'll see a variety of combo popping up-- High Tide, Ill-Gotten Gains, Aluren, even the fun Lich deck. There's certainly a lot of combo being played. I'd suggest further exploring the links I provided at the very end; they have numerous T8s and decklists and were invaluable in writing this article.

Tacosnape, honeybunny, don't hold back. Tell me how you really feel.

Worst character ever
    Sep 2004
    Newton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Xero View Post
    What do you call the Lich deck?
    Shitty.

edit:

I provided links to the T8s that the lists were in because they illustrate that you are incorrect. Take a look at them, you'll see a variety of combo popping up-- High Tide, Ill-Gotten Gains, Aluren, even the fun Lich deck. There's certainly a lot of combo being played. I'd suggest further exploring the links I provided at the very end; they have numerous T8s and decklists and were invaluable in writing this article.
    I meant fast, resilient storm combo. I'm not ripping on the Europe metagame I'm pointing out that all of those decks would do pretty poor against combo.

edit2: I just looked over the decks. And no, you're wrong, when Stompy takes 4th place there's no way there's a significant good-players-playing-combo presence
    OH SHIT THERES A HORSE IN THE HOSPITAL

Team Slay and Lego: Slay your a tool and your glasses are almost as GAY as your retarded snitch of a boyfriend Lego. Lego focus on your own game you are a fucking clown and should have heard the rediculous amount of people saying how much of a dick you were being and what kind of a fool you are. I laugh at you two. Seriously you both need attitude adjustments. I have never encountered a larger pair of pussy bitches in my whole life.

Thread Information