Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] TES (The EPIC Storm)

Re: [Deck] TES - The EPIC Storm

1) Dark Confidant vs B/W comes down to whether or not the deck is using Smallpox, B/R bolting Dark Confidant is one thing, but B/W gaining an additional target for Smallpox is another.

2) Why SB Shattering Spree over Chain of Vapor? Chain of Vapor can remove Enchantments, Creatures etc. build Storm and it's an instant, where Shattering Spree just gets around Chalice@1 and Force of Will. Other than Faerie Stompy, which sees no serious play, why are people SBing this card?

3) U/B/w IGGY POP

I have been getting my ass handed to me by U/B/w IGGY POP; Force of Will and Orim's Chant present a serious problem, because TES can't use it's speed advantage with out auto losing to a Force of Will or Orim's Chant, and Empty the Warrens is too slow. Does any one have any experience with this match up?

4) SB Ill Gotten Gains

What are people using the SB Ill Gotten Gains for? I used it to turn hands with Infernal Tutor and Burning Wish into a hand with a set up card, Infernal Tutor for acceleration, and a win condition, Burning Wish for Ill Gotten Gains with Infernal Tutor in the discard, but now that I have a SB Right of Flame, the SB Ill Gotten Gains just seems to sit there, unless I want to do something similar with Plunge into Darkness, which is risky.

Quote Originally Posted by BreathWeapon View Post
    2) Why SB Shattering Spree over Chain of Vapor? Chain of Vapor can remove Enchantments, Creatures etc. build Storm and it's an instant, where Shattering Spree just gets around Chalice@1 and Force of Will. Other than Faerie Stompy, which sees no serious play, why are people SBing this card?
    In my meta I see Faerie Stompy, UbaStax (when I'm not playing it, a friend is), and Goblins with Chalice in the board. These all seem to be excellent reasons to run Shattering Spree, as well as random Null Rods and Chalices from other decks. Auto-losing to a deck I designed and am lending someone when said deck is a mainstay at the top tables seems awful.

3) U/B/w IGGY POP
    Wish -> Therapy has been my answer in testing. It has worked extremely well. Chant is part of the reason I haven't cut Therapy from my board.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Refuses to Play Inconsistent Decks
    Oct 2006

Well I guess shattering spree is meta dependent then... because I see Faerie Stompy all the time. I'd also like to note that if Fish is a bad match-up then FS is a horrible match-up. Unless the player is having terrible luck or they don't know how to play the deck we have a very small chance of winning. Chalices, 4 ways to find a chalice, FOWs, Jittes, and a fast clock is almost as bad as it can get. Not only that, but some builds run 1 EE maindeck (with 4 trinket mages to find) which means that the traditional wincon vs control, ETW, is useless. Against the builds that dont run it maindeck you may be able to pull out game 1 with a fast hand ETW style, but then they will surely side one in. Of course it's possible to win... turn 1 combo w/ no FOW, but after that things don't look to good.

Kronicler
    Team Info-Ninjas: Catchphrases so secret, I don't even know what they are!

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by BreathWeapon View Post
    1)

3) U/B/w IGGY POP

I have been getting my ass handed to me by U/B/w IGGY POP; Force of Will and Orim's Chant present a serious problem, because TES can't use it's speed advantage with out auto losing to a Force of Will or Orim's Chant, and Empty the Warrens is too slow. Does any one have any experience with this match up?
    Shattering Spree get's around Chalice of the Void something that limit's us from going off. Chain of Vapor does nothing against Chalice 1, which is half the reason Shattering Spree is in the SB. The other reason being Trinisphere, Shattering Spree kills 3 Artifacts under Trinisphere with RRR. Faerie Stompy does too see play, alot of play actually. Maybe not in Europe or other foriegn countries but in the U.S it sees enough to warrent it as a Metagame concern.

Hate to say this because TES used to be like this but, 1 deck doesn't have an effect on the metagame. Normal Iggy Pop does, yes; TimDeluxeit's list does not. You can't base a match-up on one person with a unique list. I have done testing Vs. Iggy Pop, first time I was playing the match-up wrong forcing myself to go off too early; second time testing I wrecked.

I guess Shattering Spree vs Chain of Vapor is a meta consideration then,

As far as U/B/w IGGY POP is concerned, that list is more prevalent than you would think, I've seen it on MWS, in Europe and Mike Bomholmn uses it. I'm not suggesting that TES make concessions to the MD or the SB, but we should investigate the match up.

U/B/w IGGY POP is a really, really strange deck, because it plays the combo-control role until it's ready to go off, and I just don't know how to deal with that. Even if Xantid Swarm resolves, Orim's Chant can Time Walk them into their combo turn, and if Xantid Swarm is countered, you're pinned down by a Force of Will in the discard pile and the possibility of Orim's Chant.

I have no doubt that TES>IGGY POP, but when IGGY POP starts to MD Force of Will and Orim's Chant, it gets to force TES into interacting on the stack, which it obviously can't do.

Bryant Cook

I guess, I don't care to get into an arguement over an irrelevant topic. However, what do people think of ...
    Null Profusion
    Enchantment (TS)
    Skip your draw step.
    Whenever you play a card, draw a card.
    Your maximum hand size is two.

"Some say that time is cyclical and that history inevitably repeats. My will is my own. I won't bow to fate."
    -Volrath

Illus. Kev Walker #89/165

Did Wizards just give legacy or more importantly TES a Legacy legal Bargain?

Mariah Carey Unicorn
    Feb 2005
    Rochester, NY

I think they did. I'll help you test it.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I'm gonna bang noobslayer's sister. Then I'm gonna do it again.
    How come it needs to be a holiday to bang noobslayer's sister?
    Quote Originally Posted by URABAHN View Post
    So, we should call it Peter, Paul, and Mary? Or we're supposed to go outside and start sucking dick?

Oct 2006

heh, I saw that yesterday and I was like, "WHAT?!?!?!" It is an amazing card, though personally I'm not sure it belongs in this deck but rather a deck of its own. Time to start a thread in the N&D forums....

Kronicler

Lan2_13 for all other purposes

Aug 2005
    San Diego CA

Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    I guess, I don't care to get into an arguement over an irrelevant topic. However, what do people think of ...
    Null Profusion
    Enchantment (TS)
    Skip your draw step.

"Some say that time is cyclical and that history inevitably repeats. My will is my own. I won't bow to fate."
    -Volrath

the 6ccness is pretty restricting
    Quote Originally Posted by Starcity games ask the judge

Q: I have Isochron Scepter with Glimpse the Unthinkable on it and Djinn Illuminatus in play. If activate Isochron Scepter to play Glimpse, will this copy of Glimpse have Replicate?

A: Yes, all instants and sorceries that you play will have Replicate, even those that are not represented by actual cards and are copies of cards created by some effect..

Banned

Aug 2006
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Null Profusion
    Enchantment (TS)
    Skip your draw step.

-Volrath

Unless you go off that turn, it isn't worth it.

Bryant Cook

Just tested roughly about 15 games with Noobslayer, the card is worse than island in this deck.

Mariah Carey Unicorn
    Feb 2005
    Rochester, NY

I'm inclined to agree. You get all excited when you have it and can cast it, but instead I used my resources to win.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I'm gonna bang noobslayer's sister. Then I'm gonna do it again.
    How come it needs to be a holiday to bang noobslayer's sister?
    Quote Originally Posted by URABAHN View Post
    So, we should call it Peter, Paul, and Mary? Or we're supposed to go outside and start sucking dick?

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

We still have a long way to go with the development of this deck.

I need you TES players to take a survey now...

So what do you guys think the ideal Wish board is?

How many lands? 10 or 11?

MDed Disruption? Maybe 3 Swarms and 2 DGrids may not be the way to go, reasoning? Anymore cool stuff?

Any cool tech your willing to share? If so what is it?

What's your SB outside the wishboard?

Do you guys think Simian Spirit Guide would be suited for this deck?

3 Infernal Tutors MD and 1 SB, or 4 MDed?

take it. I answered this survey with my decklist which is like a page back.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

1. Ideal Wish board would be

1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Empty The Warrens
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Tranquility

2. I go for 11. At 10 lands, it always felt lacking.

3. 4 Xantid Swarm MD, 4 Defense Grid SB. Swarms are never dead at least as a blocker, while Grids, if MD'd, are dead outside of blue MU's. They're golden when needed though.

4. None yet. Still thinking.

5. 4 Shattering Spree and 4 Defense Grid. I never needed Compost, as black-based control is so slow. I haven't tested against Red Death though.

6. No. Extra mana is welcome, even if it doesn't add to storm... But there's simply no room.

7. 4 MD. Burining Wish for Infernal Tutor for *something* is 6+ mana. Why not Wish for IGG/D.Returns/ETW instead?

At a minimum, the Wishboard should have;

1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Right of Flame

After that, it is a matter of preference; I prefer Duress, Hullbreach and Earthquake.

11 Lands is the standard, IMO, because between 11 Lands and 4 Chrome Mox, the deck will average 2 permanent mana sources per 8 cards, which is the number of permanent mana sources the deck needs to resolve its threats, Burning Wish, Plunge into Darkness, Infernal Tutor, Empty the Warrens etc. 11 Lands also gives the deck the best odds of drawing into a second land after a Brainstorm or Plunge into Darkness (for 5 or so) as well as decreases the number of mulligans the deck takes.

I think 4 Xantid Swarm MD is best; Xantid Swarm is more efficient, and Defense Grid becomes worthless as the game progresses. I'm not even SBing the card any more, because it is terrible on the draw, this deck wins game one like it was it's job, and a SB card that is at its best in game three isn't as appealing as other options.

The rest of the SB is 4 Dark Confidant and 4 Chain of Vapor (tho' the 4 Shattering Spree are excellent if the meta has Faerie Stompy or Stax in it)

3 MD Empty the Warrens, 1 SB Right of Flame and 0 MD Diminishing Returns is all the tech I have.

Simian Spirit Guide doesn't add storm, so I wouldn't recommend it.

4 MD Infernal Tutor. Other than Empty the Warrens, you should never SB a business spell; the deck can still RFG an Infernal Tutor with Chrome Mox, Plunge into Darkness or Diminishing Returns, so even with 4 MD Infernal Tutor, wishing for a SB Infernal Tutor is common.

Neuromancer
    Jan 2007
    Local Group > Milky Way Galaxy > Orion Arm > Solar System > Earth > Italy > Vicenza

Hi All!
    Yersteday night I've done a mini legacy tournament of 8 people.
    I win with TES winning against landstill, 41lands, aggro-random deck and pikula.

1. Ideal Wish board is:
    - ETW
    - ToA
    - diminishing returns
    - III-gotten gains
    - duress
    - 0/1simplify
    - pyrclasm (waiting thunder // lightning)

2. First time I used 10 lands. Now I'm using 11 lands because sometimes I risk to have not 1 land for win for opponent's wasteland or rishadan port.

3. I'm using 3 Swarms and 2 DGrids. Until to yersteday I've used 4x xantid swarm, but xantid in game1 it's easily killed by bolt, StP,...So I've preferred to differentiate the cards because DGrids is difficult to remove in legacy.

4. What's your SB outside the wishboard?
    - 2 DGrids
    - 3 Dark Confidant
    - 2/3 Shattering Spree

3 Swarms & 2 DGrids + 2 DGrids in side because I want play in security.
    I've tested yersteday 3 Dark Confidant instead of Compost. results?
    It's Amazing!!
    I side in it against pikula in place of 3 xantid swarm.
    He obviusly side out StP and Confidant help me as beater to decrease opponent's life for a small ToA of 6-7 storm count. Confidant helps me chumpblocker because opponent doesn't attack me with his wretch.
    And I have seen that Confidant is a better cards drawer than Compost (and more versatile).
    Against landstill it's a lightning rod for opponent's StP instead of xantid swarm and this is good.
    Against 41lands (with black for therapy and deed and more mana denial with wasteland, rishadan port and vesuva) it's a control tool. Confidant helps me to win easily. I remember that the average casting cost of the deck is 1,37.
    Anti-American, your dark confidant addition is great!

5. Do you guys think Simian Spirit Guide would be suited for this deck?
    I don't like it for this deck. It doesn't increase storm.

6. 3 Infernal Tutors MD and 1 SB, or 4 MDed?
    I use 4 maindeck because sometimes I keep hand with acceleration, xantid and brainstorm and I don't see one of 12 tutor effects. So I prefer use more tutors.

Ciao!

Bryant Cook

Updated the opening post with what would of been the primer on TES. I sent it in to SCG about a month ago and haven't even gotten a reply. I would like to hear your thoughts.

Feb 2006
    Boston

Would something like Simplify be better than Tranquility in the sideboard? I'm often never staring down more than one enchantment (Arcane Lab, Rule of Law, Solitary Confinement, etc), and saving yourself 2 mana can sometimes be helpful.

I just wanted to get the opinion of others - why or why not Simplify over Tranquility?

Oct 2006

First off, nice article wastedlife! It was detailed and in depth, and it covered every possible thing.

There were some minor grammar problems with it though. There were times you forgot a comma in a sentence, or put it in the wrong point in the sentence. You also forgot a few prepositions such as the word "to" in the sentence, "This goes back to the beginning with reaching that special storm number..." Another thing is that you said, "Is ten lands really enough" even though your list has 11. Finally, there are only 14 cards in your SB.

All in all it was a great article, and I hope that SCG publishes it soon.

Aight, onto the survey:

1. Ideal wish board for me is

Tendrils
    ETW
    IGG
    DReturns
    Shattering Spree
    Tranquility / Simplify (not sure yet)
    Rough // Tumble
    Duress

2. Definately 11 lands

3. 4 swarms no question. DGrid can't be imprinted in Chrome Mox and it costs twice as much. Fk that.

4. The deck is the tech :-P. No other cool tech though.

5. Mine isn't very concrete atm... just started testing out Dark Confidant yesterday.

6. No SSG. Doesn't add to storm.

7. 4 Infernal Tutors MD for sure. If worst comes to worst you can always plunge for accel and hope to RFG an infernal tutor along the way.

Kronicler

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Why are you considering Simplify when you could just use Demystify and target whatever enchantment you want in case they have 2. The only time I can see Simplify being better is if you are casting off a Chrome Mox with a Swarm imprinted...whihc should happen that much.

EDIT: its an instant, Im dumb ignore that :)

Thread Information