Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [Metagame] San Diego

Bryant Cook

Re: [Metagame] San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by The Rack View Post
    Umm... you couldn't be more wrong... Playskill is a big part of the game but our meta is San Diegan (fun). Goblins tops quite often but only if they are played with more than 4 players. Don't get me wrong Lanny is a horrible player. ( How do you lose on turn 20 with IGGy Pop against Goblins with no board control?? wtf??) If David Gearhart came out here, he wouldnt get first place by any means. He's a good player ( a little highstrung...) but oyur metagame is so balanced he wouldn't be able to waltz in there and conquer. It just wouldn't happen...
    How is it balanced by any means? From reading this thread it sounds like your metagame is anything but balanced. There's nothing to keep aggro in check, the control is higjhly under represented, you have one lock deck and finally you haze 0 combo. That is not balanced at all.

Are you the real Batman?
    Jun 2006
    San Diego

We have combo... just not tier 1 combo. Belcher, Reanimator (i consider it combo), and Nausea. Control has Complete Jank's decks along with about 3 Loam variants, and some aggro control from me and a few other. Aggro is kept in check with the control having a lot of mass removal spells (deed, devastating dreams, wrath, and such) It is balanced, just not with tier 1 decks.
    This is my Signature

Banned

Aug 2006
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    How is it balanced by any means? From reading this thread it sounds like your metagame is anything but balanced. There's nothing to keep aggro in check, the control is highly under represented, you have one lock deck and finally you haze 0 combo. That is not balanced at all.

You haven't read this thread if you think that. To make it simple for you read JACO's posts.

Combo Decks Played: Belcher(2-Land), Belcher(2-Land+Welder), Iggy, Solidarity, Tendrils(Eggs), Tendrils(Glimpse), Tendrils/Control(Artifact), Infinite Life, Brand, Illusions Donate, and Burning Wall. There are also others that aren't worth mentioning.

Control Decks Played: Landstill(BHWC), Landstill(UW), Landstill(UWG), MUC, Braids(BW), Braids(BWR), Braids(Pox), Staxs(Mono-U), Scepter Chant, Threshold, Devistating Loam, ATS, B/W Pikula, Geddon(UWG), Fish(UW), and Fish(Mono-U).

Aggro Decks Played: Fish(UR), Reanimator, Funk-Homebrew, Goblins(Vial - RW & RG), Goblins(non-vial - RW & RG), Goblins(Burn - RW, RG, & Mono-R), Burn-Burn-Burn, Big Beats(GR), Pro-beats(RW), Survival(RG), Survival(Welder), Survival(GRB), Survival(RECSUR), Stompy(8, 9, 10, & 11 land), RWU Aggro Burn, Mono-B, and Zoo-Zoo-Zoo.

San Diego Zoo has moved to type two temporarily.

I take top 8 every week, and I play Braids(Pox) currently. I believe that Braids is about the best control deck. Counter Control does only so well. Braids is a board control deck with pinpoint hand removal Complete board control makes up for things it can't counter.

Problem with most control decks is they can't counter everything, and aren't heavily equiped to deal with the board. Exception to this is BHWC Landstill.

The other control decks, Devistating Loam and Mono-U Staxs, are board control decks as well.

Funny that 3 of the 4 best control decks played here, BHWC Landstill, Devistating Loam, and Braids Pox, are all BHWC Decks.

Do we need to host a Duel for Duals to have our results taken seriously? Obviously our weekly tourneys are one of the 3 largest in the country, and often can be larger than some major tourneys held out east.

If there was a D4D's say the week that the Pro-Tour came to town or the Grand Prix, would any of you come and test your decks vs our field? A few of us have flown and driven out east, why don't you guys make a trip this way. It would be a little different than us going out there in the past, you would actually be invited all the way out here. Between San Diego and L.A. we could gather quite a large group of people.

REANIMATOR SUPREME
    Mar 2005
    San Diego

wow...

i was told to come check this little discussion out for the sheer laughing value...im glad i did.

Jaco, thanks to you and mike, you make me sound like a good player...
    im surprised to notice that everyone mentions me and it seems like i changed the whole metagame here ( i like to think for the better... or not)...hahaha ( i barely know how to play magic.....)

ok... down to the nitty gritty.

it has already been said... and one more time isnt going to hurt. San Diego players... at least the competitive ones, have one goal in mind. build a deck that will slaughter all. We have to have the three basic hate thoughts...I hate solidarity... i hate gobbos... i hate grow, in mind to make our decks work, there is no other about it. but unlike most legacy metas in the east coast... we also have to make way for all the tier 2 decks. and make sure that our decks play well against those... as you never know what your going to play against.

I quite frabkly believe that the reason for people not playing as many tier 1 decks in our little magic heaven is because they have a very very very little success rate. any given night, maybe 2 out of 8 tier one decks make it to the top 8 and almost never taking it all. thats my opinon though... ive only been playing there and analyzing this field for over 3 years... it must be petty compared to other peoples data.

i share the same notion about posting in this site as mike and Jaco. even though im not as frantic as mike, i also have been posting on this forum for a whiiiiile. without getting any real positive feedback and my posts... so i just stopped posting.

i mean... why sugarcoated mor than i have to.

i stopped caring what people thought about my decks the moment my threads got locked because of a mods friend supposively had a better vesion of a deck...not going to say when or where... but i hate dealing with childish bs. and thus you just lost the input of a really bad magic player. hahahahaha

but in all reality... who cares about what other people think? if you have a good deck, and it has promise play it over and over and over until even with all the hate againt it you can win. then it wont matter if people talk shit... cause you know they dont know crap... and you can bea them any given time.
    Id like to milk that oreo... split it in half...and lick all that sweet sweet candy off. mmmmm... oreos....

His name is not unknown in these woods.
    Aug 2006
    Area 88

Loaming Shaman is the most broken card in legacy.
    they haunt minds...

I was wondering what do people in here think about funkbrew from san diego being a pretty good contender in legacy?

I'd say it has a good chance to do pretty well in the legacy metagame. I mean the deck has discard and removal for disruption. The deck can play a steady clock consistently.

I have done some playtesting with it against threshold, solidarity and goblins and so far the deck at least has a 50/50 chance or better against those 3 decks. The deck can play 3 ways either control, aggro-control or even pure aggro. However this is probably my own opinion about how the deck is overall played.

REANIMATOR SUPREME
    Mar 2005
    San Diego

it actually has a good game against most decks, it beats most control decks and it also has a good matchup versus combo..

but the bad thing is that you have a terrible, match against any very aggro deck, at least preboard.
    Id like to milk that oreo... split it in half...and lick all that sweet sweet candy off. mmmmm... oreos....

I totally agree with you rod. I have been really impressed on how the deck is overall played against tier 1 and tier 2 decks. It also has alot of surprise factors in the deck as well.

Yeah funkbrew tends to have a bad matchup in game 1 against a competent goblin player. However I often find myself winning game 2 and 3 against the goblin player after correct boarding choices. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Dave Hernandez is crying right now.
    LOL! HAhahahA!

Oh man, I needed that. Yes, this is an old thread, but I'm getting back into Legacy since it's being played in SD again! I should have a deck assembled within 2 weeks. It's amazing what has changed in 8 years....

:-/

Dave
    I will Find a way...or make one.
    Check out my wife! http://DanceKitten.com
    Card Carrying Member: Team Mind Trick
    Best.Fortune.Cookie.Evar: \"Among the lucky, you are the chosen one.\"
    Noloam said, "i lost an unloseable game against miracles, where i accidentally tapped my tomb for lethal.."

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by DavidHernandez View Post
    LOL! HAhahahA!

Oh man, I needed that. Yes, this is an old thread, but I'm getting back into Legacy since it's being played in SD again! I should have a deck assembled within 2 weeks. It's amazing what has changed in 8 years....

:-/

Dave
    It's pretty much the same as it used to be, just now with less aggro decks and now midrange is the flavor of the week.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    It's pretty much the same as it used to be, just now with less aggro decks and now midrange is the flavor of the week.
    And Affinity is the best-positioned aggro deck in the format, except no one knows it but me. Go figure.

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Oh man. That's a blast from the past. Reminds me to thank Jaco for the props on Zoo and 4c Landstill. I miss the old days from 2005 when I could go play weekly Legacy at 40-60 man tournaments. I've heard the Legacy scene in San Diego isn't what it used to be, but man, it's gotta be better than Madison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Storyboard & Comic Artist
    May 2011
    San Diego, CA

I'm close to the SD area, but I was wondering if there's a scene at Pair A dice games. Anyone here goes to that shop?

Ok, so far ANT and S&T seem to be the most consistent winners in San Diego. Once in a while there's the win by something random (think "Goblins" or "BW"). I'm trying to think of any other deck that has really "won" in the last 10 weeks that I've returned to the scene.

UW Miracle control may have won once in that time.

Elves! want to get close, but don't make it to the top. RUG Delver seems to have a good game but doesn't make it to the top either. JUND doesn't exist here anymore, and didn't do well. Stoneblade wants to be in the finals it can almost taste it! Almost.

*sigh*

We need more than 4 rounds!

I'm having a blast and find the players here are really good people. I look forward to talking with this group as much as actually playing the games.

Dave
    I will Find a way...or make one.
    Check out my wife! http://DanceKitten.com
    Card Carrying Member: Team Mind Trick
    Best.Fortune.Cookie.Evar: \"Among the lucky, you are the chosen one.\"
    Noloam said, "i lost an unloseable game against miracles, where i accidentally tapped my tomb for lethal.."

Thread Information