Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] Best cards against goblins

Banned
    Oct 2006
    Magna Roma

[Discussion] Best cards against goblins

My deck is U/W/R Landstill.
    What cards are the best against goblins?
    I run wrath of god and swords to plowshares.
    Legacy decks:
    Landstill
    Loam Wake

Plays whatever whenever, and fails anyway
    May 2006

Re: [Discussion] Best cards against goblins

Swords is an obvious must, and potentially so is Wrath of God. If you're gunning specifically for goblins Pyroclasm is another potential bomb that can be useful elsewhere, Pithing Needle to deal with Port/Wasteland is another card I think deserves some merit not in the least due to the fact that it hits something in every deck (at worst you name a fetchland), and perhaps even something additional like Moat or Humility would deserve a slot.

You have a lot of other potential options like Fire/Ice, Starstorm, Rolling Earthquake, ect, as well, so it really depends on how much you want to go after Goblins.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Your running Red... Pyroclasm, Rolling Earthquake, Starstorm, Fire // Ice, Lightning Bolt, Grim Lavamancer, and a ton more stuff. Red is one of the best colors for Landstill if you want to handle Goblins early.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

May 2005

Aether Flash is pretty amazing, but quite useless elsewhere.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Did you build a deck around that card for the Goblinator contest thingy over at TML?

Also, I have more to add with 3 colors.

Stifle
    Hydroblast/Blue Elemental Blast
    Fire // Ice
    Lightning Bolt
    Pyroclasm
    Humility
    Moat
    Rolling Earthquake
    Tivadar's Crusade
    Starstorm
    Earthquake
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    I've used it in the sideboard of my Mono-Red Control deck, and when coupled with mass and pinpoint removal, you win the game. When you're talking about a deck that uses a lot of nonbasic lands, I would suggest something that costs a little less, due to Goblins' mana denial strategy especially when you're talking about a splash color.
    KIDS WITH GUNS!

If you can get it into play, Sphere of Law is tough for them to beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Nov 2005
    Fairfax VA

Drop red and add black and green....
    That gices you
    Hail Storm
    Pernicious Deed
    E.Plague
    Infest
    Nuff said THE best cards against goblins

Going four color is not the way to improve your goblins matchup. Black isn't such a bad idea though, E. Plague is just about the best solution around against goblins. Resolve two and you win teh prize.

Team Info-Ninja.

If you act now we'll ship you an extra order of ShamHawks. THATS 8 ShamHawks FOR $19.99, you'll spend that much on falcons every month anyway.

Banned

Aug 2006
    San Diego

Ghostly Prison is nice, as they then have to spend mana to deal more damage and they aren't tapping you down or wasting lands.

When they cast spells, you counter or remove the creature.

It puts goblins under a mana lock, even if they have vial.

just wants to cuddle
    Jan 2006
    Geneseo NY

Quote Originally Posted by Complete_Jank View Post
    Ghostly Prison is nice, as they then have to spend mana to deal more damage and they aren't tapping you down or wasting lands.

When they cast spells, you counter or remove the creature.

It puts goblins under a mana lock, even if they have vial.
    Propoganda, if it fits your color scheme, or you want more than 4 for whatever reason.
    I'm here to kick ass and play card games.

BZK

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

Lightning Helix can be pricey, but it helps you on two fronts.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Winter is coming...
    Dec 2005

I want to propose something different here. Instead of boarding in really great cards that cost 3 and 4 mana, why not board in some really cheap cards that will help you stunt Goblins and get to the cards you already run that screw Goblins (i.e. Wrath).

I say you board Needles and Stifles. If you can needle vial (and then waste and/ore port) and stifle Ringleaders, Landstill should have a pretty darn good matchup against Goblins.

Ghostly Prison and Plague are great and all, but I have certainly seen my fair share of games lost against Goblins while players clutch these cards, unable to play them.

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

It actually depends alot on your deck. Also, for the most part Hydroblast/Blue Elemental Blast > Stifle. Stifle stops the creature's special affect while the Blasts just stop the creature all together.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Human Hunter
    Sep 2006
    California

Chill and warmth are really nice early game. Honestly, even though it contradicts what I just said, I don't really like to use enchantments (specially global enchantments) to try to hinder goblins. Goblins now a days are splashed with green and white to handle enchantments and/or artifacts.

Foothill guide is pretty good and is cheap to put down against a lackey or piledriver.

Tivadar's Crusade, like Anti~American4621 said, is very effective.

Stifle, like a lot of my fellow peers stated, are awsome because not only do they hose the goblin's ability, but they also plow down Wastelands.

Blue Elemental Blast and Hydroblast are soooo good when it comes to tempo. These two cards combined with Swords to Plowshares should give you the edge for the early game. The problem with these 3 cards though is that they only hit !1! target. I stress this because I rather have a card that hoses down 2 or more goblins than trade card for card against an opponent.

Winter is coming...
    Dec 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Cait_Sith View Post
    It actually depends alot on your deck. Also, for the most part Hydroblast/Blue Elemental Blast > Stifle. Stifle stops the creature's special affect while the Blasts just stop the creature all together.
    Stifles are generally more useful in the board as they can come in in more matchups than BEB. Also, stifling goblins first fetch is actually a pretty damn good play. Point taken though.

Don't forget, you can Stifle Piledrivers ability that triggers when they declare their attackers. He's pro blue but Stifle targets the ability, not the creature.

Q( . .)-O *(x. x)
    Nov 2006
    Waterloo, Ontario

I don't think that's a triggered ability, Plank, I believe the Driver just gets it as a static effect as soon as the goblins are turned sideways.

*Whenever ~~~ attacks, it gets +2/+0 for each other attacking goblin*

I don't think this ability uses the stack. Though, if I'm wrong, and it does, and you can actually target the ability of a Pro-Blue creature, I'd love to know that I'm wrong. I'd be hideously laughing.

But honestly, the reason Stifle is good against Goblins, is not because of the Goblins it hits, it's because of the Fetch-Lands that you can get on Turns 1-2. If you nail Goblin's first land drop, and you were on the play, it cripples them when you're playing a competitive deck that can keep applying any sort of pressure to them. Wrath effects are good, but with out something to back them up, Ringleader will refill their hand (unless you have Wrath and Stifle, in which case, *thumbs up*). The FACT that stifle nails Matron/Ringleader just makes it versitile late game. But honestly, keeping them off lands is the way to go. Pithing Needle on Vial, Stifle the Fetch/Waste lands.

Team Waterloo: Hating U like champions.
    • Wg D&T
    • BG Thresh
    • Wg CataLoam

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by C-Aleric View Post
    I don't think that's a triggered ability, Plank, I believe the Driver just gets it as a static effect as soon as the goblins are turned sideways.

*Whenever ~~~ attacks, it gets +2/+0 for each other attacking goblin*

I don't think this ability uses the stack. Though, if I'm wrong, and it does, and you can actually target the ability of a Pro-Blue creature, I'd love to know that I'm wrong. I'd be hideously laughing.

But honestly, the reason Stifle is good against Goblins, is not because of the Goblins it hits, it's because of the Fetch-Lands that you can get on Turns 1-2. If you nail Goblin's first land drop, and you were on the play, it cripples them when you're playing a competitive deck that can keep applying any sort of pressure to them. Wrath effects are good, but with out something to back them up, Ringleader will refill their hand (unless you have Wrath and Stifle, in which case, *thumbs up*). The FACT that stifle nails Matron/Ringleader just makes it versitile late game. But honestly, keeping them off lands is the way to go. Pithing Needle on Vial, Stifle the Fetch/Waste lands.
    Piledriver's ability is in fact a triggered ability, and may therefore be Stifled. Having played the CounterSliver vs. Goblins matchup about 500 times, I can tell you that Stifle only occasionally gets used that way, though. The most common usages by far are:

1) Stifle a Wasteland
    2) Stifle Ringleader

After that, it's a toss-up between stopping the triggered abilities of Goblin Matron, Goblin Lackey, and Goblin Piledriver.

Q( . .)-O *(x. x)
    Nov 2006
    Waterloo, Ontario

That's incredible. One more reason to run that card in every deck that uses the standard Blue suite. This format, was designed to have Stifle cripple mana bases.

Team Waterloo: Hating U like champions.
    • Wg D&T
    • BG Thresh
    • Wg CataLoam

Thread Information