Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] Legacy Power 9?

Banned

Aug 2006
    San Diego

Re: [Discussion] Legacy Power 9?

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    The P9 is not just "good," they bend the rules of the game to the extent that break how the game is structured at its core--which is basically to tinker the limiting rules on mana development (and card drawing to a lesser extent). Which is one of the most important limits in the early game.

If you could play 4 of each Mox, Lotus and Ancestral in Vintage (7 of the P9), Magic would play so differently from the game it is in Vintage to something completely unrecognizable.
    I think the following cards are stronger than many of the "Power 9" cards. These cards if allowed to be played as a 4 of would have more effect than the "Power 9" would.
    Channel
    Fastbond
    Trinisphere
    Yawgmoth’s Will

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Legacy Power 9:

Goblin Lackey
    AEther Vial
    Reset
    Force of Will
    Brainstorm
    Swords to Plowshares
    Duress
    Wasteland
    Lion's Eye Diamond

monkey
    Aug 2006
    Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Complete_Jank View Post

Channel
    Tinker
    Trinisphere
    Yawgmoth’s Will
    Fixed
    info.ninja

Banned

Aug 2006
    San Diego

Tinker is great, but it requires a broken artifact like memory jar or 3-Sphere.

Banned
    Sep 2004
    fairfax VA

Anaba Grunt
    Diggeridoo
    Goblin Lackey
    Nimble mongoose
    Force Of Will
    Aether Vial
    Goblin Piledriver
    Dark Ritual
    Swords to Plowshares
    Tahngarth, Talruum Hero

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

Yawgy's Will will own you all. The mechanized demon in that is so cute.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Plays whatever whenever, and fails anyway
    May 2006

Tinker is great, but it requires a broken artifact like memory jar or 3-Sphere.
    Apparently you sir did not play Extended during 2003 before they banned Tinker. I don't think there was ever a more broken constructed environment, and it was based almost entirely on that card (admittedly Oath, Hermit Druid, and the usual goblin suspects were involved as well) but no Tinker does not require a broken artifact to be retarded. All it requires is Mindslaver. Or any other monolithicly large artifact. Or hell, Goblin Charbelcher was ridiculous with Tinker and Mana Severence at that point.

Trinisphere is really irritating to play against, but it is not "broken". Even when it was allowed as a 4 of in Vintage with Workshop and co powering it out on turn 1 with irritating regularity it was not unbeatable. Legacy stax can run 4 Trinispheres and we don't see them dominating Legacy with their brokeness.

Channel and Yawgmoth's Will are obvious. It's actually amusing that Channel on it's own isn't worth a slot because of its color but Yawgmoth's Will continues to dominate the format.

Whatever, the concept of a "power nine" in Legacy is flawed because there are no universal cards that almost automatically go into any deck, but the closest thing is a list of the top cards that are automatically suggested during the deckbuilding construction for each color.

In no particular order:
    Swords to Plowshares
    Force of Will
    Duress
    Brainstorm
    Lightning Bolt
    Rancor
    Dark Confidant
    Aether Vial
    Dark Ritual

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

1. Blue Duals
    2. Non-Blue Duals
    3. Blue Fetchlands
    4. Non-Blue Fetchlands
    5. Wasteland
    6. Force of Will
    7. Aether Vial
    8. Dark Ritual
    9. Goblin Lackey

The format is totally warped around those cards. If I werent to separate the blue and non-blue lands Id be adding Swords to Plowshares and Survival of the Fittest to that list. LED and Brainstorm trailing closely.

Pithing Needle is close but its a bit short of "format defining". Confidant and Loam are simply extremely good cards.
    Now playing real formats.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

This discussion seems to make little or no sense. If you want to make a list of essential cards for the format that is one thing, but comparing it to the Power 9 is inaccurate at best. As far as I know the Power 9 exist for multiple reasons none of which apply to Legacy. First off, these cards were underprinted meaning they only exist in the first 3 sets and no such cards apply to Legacy. Most importantly, they are simply better than the cards they could be compared to. You play Mox Sapphire because its actually better than Island. You play Black Lotus because its actually better than Dark Ritual. Ancestral Recall is the best draw spell ever. We don't have those cards in Legacy. Cards are rarely strictly better than other cards. You can some comparison to cards such as Brainstorm and Dark Ritual, but those cards require color commitments and in the case of Brainstorm often the use of fetchlands. While these may seem like minor points its important to note that with the actual Power 9 this isn't case. They are simply better than the cards that were printed after them in every way that matters. That's why things like Null Rod were printed just to create a drawback to cards like Moxen, but even that didn't prevent people from playing them in Type 1 because the drawback didn't outweigh the potential benefit from playing these cards. That isn't true about cards in Legacy.

Banned

Aug 2006
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Kadaj View Post
    Apparently you sir did not play Extended during 2003 before they banned Tinker. I don't think there was ever a more broken constructed environment, and it was based almost entirely on that card (admittedly Oath, Hermit Druid, and the usual goblin suspects were involved as well) but no Tinker does not require a broken artifact to be retarded. All it requires is Mindslaver. Or any other monolithicly large artifact. Or hell, Goblin Charbelcher was ridiculous with Tinker and Mana Severence at that point.
    Actually that was one of the decks/cards I played in Extended that year, but we were discussing Vintage where it is much weaker than many of the other cards.

Trinisphere is really irritating to play against, but it is not "broken". Even when it was allowed as a 4 of in Vintage with Workshop and co powering it out on turn 1 with irritating regularity it was not unbeatable. Legacy stax can run 4 Trinispheres and we don't see them dominating Legacy with their brokeness.
    Vintage Staxs could almost insure a turn one 3-Sphere. FoW was the only out. Most Vintage decks are less land dependent and are artifact mana dependent than Legacy decks. 3-Sphere was restricted for a reason, and once again I was refering to Vintage.

I am only a Legacy player by default. Vintage died out here a few years ago, and we Vintage players started playing Legacy, because we could get more people to play that.

Channel and Yawgmoth's Will are obvious. It's actually amusing that Channel on it's own isn't worth a slot because of its color but Yawgmoth's Will continues to dominate the format.
    You obviously never played Type 1 ProsBloom when it was first legal. Prosperity w/Channel > Fireball w/Channel.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Almost every card in Legacy does not qualify as a power card. They may define the format, but wouldnt be Legacy's power cards. Power cards warp every metagame, every time they see play. Over time, they may become accepted as part of the metagame, but the fact remains that they are ridiculously unfair decks, all thanks to certain cards.

I'm talking about Goblin Lackey. Imagine Goblins without Lackey. What is this? A deck that abuses Aether Vial worse than anything ever, has incredible disruption, an incredible draw engine, a fast kill, and ridiculous consistency? Without Lackey, Goblins is still playable. And all the natural advantages of the deck are still there, minus the brokenness thats WORSE (in a creature defined format) than dropping 1 or 2 Moxen first turn.

Goblin Lackey is the only Legacy power card. Sadly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

Quote Originally Posted by Cait_Sith View Post
    The Legacy Power 9 eh? In no particular order (except the number one)

SpatulaOfTheAges
    Mr. Nightmare
    Lego_Army_Man
    InfamousBearAssassin
    Finn
    Complete_Jank
    Goblin Snowman
    wastedlife
    xsockmonkeyx
    Why the hell am I not on that list??

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    Goblin Lackey is the only Legacy power card. Sadly.
    While you have point (since this format is built around removing a first turn 1/1), I'm not sure that Lackey is really the most broken card in Goblins.

I would contend that it's Ringleader. A Fact or Fiction that happens to leave behind a 2/2 haste that triggers for Piledriver? Insane. Not to mention that it's hard card advantage in a color that traditionally doesn't get any. How's that for breaking the rules? The ability to power out Gobs and then use Ringleader to refill your hand to power out more is just crazy. I doubt Goblins would be even half as good if Ringleader was banned.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

monkey
    Aug 2006
    Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Why the hell am I not on that list??
    Meh. You can have my spot. Im getting errata'ed soon anyway.
    info.ninja

Aug 2006
    Omaha

none of the 1.5 cards being mentioned are really that powerful. i mean come on, every single deck is better with a black lotus in it. same can be said for the corresponding color of mox. time walk and recall are just effing silly.

Neither lackey, ringleader or vial even come close to having an affect anywhere similar to the rest of those. Ringleader is quite strong, yes, but that is because of the deck that it's in.

Nov 2004
    Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by mikekelley View Post
    none of the 1.5 cards being mentioned are really that powerful. i mean come on, every single deck is better with a black lotus in it. same can be said for the corresponding color of mox. time walk and recall are just effing silly.

Neither lackey, ringleader or vial even come close to having an affect anywhere similar to the rest of those. Ringleader is quite strong, yes, but that is because of the deck that it's in.
    This lends itself to Mechinus' argument, and part of Bardo's. The only cards we have that improve almost every deck they go into are land cards like duals, fetches, and possibly Wasteland. Though, since two-thirds of the Tier 1 are mono-colored, duals even lose out. Brainstorm would be the only other card that might fit into this definition, but since blue doesn't hold the bar up in Legacy as high as it does in Vintage, it may not fit the echelon.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

This is really more of a discussion of the best cards in the best decks. There is no power 9 in legacy because legacy has so many different kinds of decks. This topic is just silly.

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    This is really more of a discussion of the best cards in the best decks. There is no power 9 in legacy because legacy has so many different kinds of decks. This topic is just silly.
    As I have already proven with my post, Legacy has a power 9, until sockmoney's errata becomes official when they unveil the new comprehensive rules. Then Cavius will take over.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Aug 2006
    Omaha

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    There are also so many different kinds of decks in vintage.

The power nine are the power nine because they warp the game to the point that if you arent playing with most of them, you are at a severe disadvantage in many cases. Nothing can be said like that for any card in 1.5.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

What I was saying was the decks are so diverse in different aggro strategies, combo-control, etc.. To where not many decks run the same card. So that is why why Vintage has a power nine where almost every deck is powered and in Legacy there are so many decks and so many good cards in those decks.

Thread Information