Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [Discussion] Legacy Power 9?

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Re: [Discussion] Legacy Power 9?

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    What I was saying was the decks are so diverse in different aggro strategies, combo-control, etc.. To where not many decks run the same card. So that is why why Vintage has a power nine where almost every deck is powered and in Legacy there are so many decks and so many good cards in those decks.
    It's not because the "decks are diverse;" it's because none of Legacy's cards are so busted that every deck runs them or loses to them.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Yes that is what I am trying to say is that no cards in the legacy card pool are busted enough to put the in every deck, which makes so many different archtypes and strategies. No decks need to splash for anything like in vintage where I hear it is good to run blue.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

No one's really defined what "Power 9" even means. The Power 9 in Vintage aren't the objectively strongest cards or necessarily the most flexible. They're the original defining cards of the format, and that's all.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    No one's really defined what "Power 9" even means. The Power 9 in Vintage aren't the objectively strongest cards or necessarily the most flexible. They're the original defining cards of the format, and that's all.
    Right, right. "Power 9" is just a romantic anachronism that doesn't mean much of anything anymore; unlike it did in 1995.

The term P9 is hard to translate to the Legacy format, IMO.

There are no cards like Black Lotus, the most extreme in this regard, that are a must-play in all colors and in all decktypes (aggro, aggro-control, control, combo, prison) unless one has a very good reason not to, at least I couldn't think of one except monetary issues or no need for mana.

Person of interest
    Aug 2006
    Woodland, CA

I have heard the (Vintage) Power 9 described as the cards that, after the game was established, were widely recognized as the best and most powerful cards in the game. For those cards, the "Power" level was due either to mana acceleration (Moxes, Lotus) or efficient, undercosted abilities (Blue Power). Keeping with these themes, here is my Legacy Power 9, all of which have been mentioned already:

1. Dark Ritual
    2. Force of Will
    3. Goblin Lackey
    4. Swords To Plowshares
    5. Lotus Petal
    6. Lion's Eye Diamond
    7. Mox Diamond
    8. Aether Vial
    9. Dark Confidant? (Not sure about this one)

I don't think mana-producing lands belong on this list, simply because they don't do either of the things that "Power" cards do. Also, I left off many cards that have been on a lot of people's lists (Wasteland, Duress, Brainstorm) because although they are good and heavily played in the format, I consider them more utility cards then game breaking or format defining cards. Just my opinion.

Thread Information