Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TML Open 2 (Two Day Extravaganza) March 3,4, 2007

TML Open 2 (Two Day Extravaganza) March 3,4, 2007

What: TMLOpen 2(The Mana Leak Open 2)

When: Saturday AND Sunday, March 3-4, 2006

Where: Gamingetc Tournament Center and SuperStore
    555 Lordship Boulevard (Exit 30 off I95)
    Stratford CT 06615
    1-203-296-9961

Lodgings: Call the Ramada Inn in Stratford and ask to book a room in the "Card Tournament" Block for March 3 or 4th. The number of rooms is limited(10) so book asap. 203-375-8866

INFORMATION FOR BOTH DAYS:

Time: Registration: 10:00 - 11:00 am
    Tourney Starts PROMPTLY at 11:00 am(To avoid a prolonged tournament, this will be strictly enforced. Latecomers will be subject to a round 1 loss.)

Cost: $25 Entry Fee

Format: Legacy

DCI Sanctioned?: Yes, both days will be DCI Sanctioned.

Cut: Cut to top 8.

Dopeness Factor: Equal to the number of integers 10i - 10j where 0 ≤ j < i ≤ 99 are multiples of 1001?

Prizes: I will still be having a “based on participants prize scale. As for what the prizes are, well, that is the biggest dilemma. I certainly want to offer the best possible prizes I can, as well as give an even better selection of prizes than last time. The problem is, I am certainly not a store(though the event will be held in one) and so I don’t have a boatload of excess Legacy staples. Therefore, I have come up with the following.

1.) Where you finish in the event will earn you a certain number of points.
    2.) You may then, “cash in those points” for your choice of prizes from a “prize bank”.
    3.) For example, if 5th place gets 100 points, and in my “prize bank” the only things you are interested in are Resets which I have at 25 points and Time Spiral boosters at 3.5 points each, then you may claim a prize of 28 boosters, or 1 Resets and 21 boosters or 2 Resets and 14 boosters, etc.
    4.) In the time leading up to this event I plan on trying to fill my “prize bank” with as many power cards, dual lands, Resets, Sea Drakes, Force of Wills, Booster Packs, etc. as I can get my hands on. I will update as time goes on to indicate what I currently have.
    5.) By the time of the event, I expect to have plenty of stock(hopefully 10+ Resets, Sea Drakes, 20+ Force of Wills, 10 Pieces of Power, etc.) so there will be more than enough for everyone.
    6.) Technically, I WILL MAKE SURE YOU GET ANY PRIZE YOU WANT. If I don’t have enough of the card in my prize bank the day of the event, I will try to get it during the weekend. If this is not possible, I will buy it on Ebay and have it sent right to you. To make the point clear, YOU PICK YOUR PRIZES.
    7.) If you would like to suggest something be sought after and had in the prize bank, so that it is there for the event, please do so. I will go after the most common requests that I don’t already have.
    8.) To give you an idea of all the possibilities, some examples are suggested below.
    9.) Any questions, please ask.

WHAT I CURRENTLY HAVE IN THE PRIZE BANK:
    A stores inventory worth of boosters(3.5 points each)
    Unlimited Timetwister(150 points)
    Italian Legends Mana Drain(100 points)
    Unlimited Ancestral Recall(375 points)
    Library of Alexandria(150 points)
    Black Lotus x 2(600 Fine/700 EX+)
    Alpha Mox Emerald(500 points)
    Beta Mox Jet(500 points)
    Unlimited Time Walk(350 points)
    Signed Beta Ancestral Recall (550 points)
    Mana Crypt (25 points)
    Force of Will x 8(20 points each)
    Antiquities Candleabra of Tawnos (30 points)
    Cursed Scroll (15 points)
    Beta Sinkhole x 4 (30 points each)
    Visions Vampiric Tutor x2 (10 points)
    Reset(English) x 7 (25 points each)
    Reset(Italian) x 2 (20 points each)
    Squee, Goblin Nabob x2 (15 points each)
    Tolarian Academy (20 points)
    Badlands x 3 (25 points each)
    Bayou x 1 (25 points each)
    Plateau x 6 (25 points each)
    Savannah x 7 (25 points each)
    Scrubland x 6 (25 points each)
    Taiga x 3 (30 points each)
    Tropical Island x 3 (30 points each)
    Tundra x 4 (35 points each)
    Volcanic Island x 5 (30 points each)
    Underground Sea X 6 (35 points each)
    Flooded Strand x 8 (15 points each)
    Polluted Delta x 9 (16 points each)
    Wooded Foothils x 2 (12 points each)
    Bloodstained Mire x2 (12 points each)
    Rishidian Port x6 (10 points each)
    Sea Drake X3 (35 points each)
    Lion's Eye Diamonds x 5 (10 points each)
    Mox Diamond x 3 (15 points each)
    Chalice of the Void x 3 (5 points each)
    Ill-Gotten Gains x 8 (7 points each)
    Intuition x 3 (18 points each)
    Leyline of the Void x8 (5 points each)
    Ichorid x 10 (5 points each)
    Misdirection x 3 (10 points each)
    Cunning Wish x3 (12 points each)
    Meditate x 8 (15 points each)
    Pernicious Deed x 4 (15 points each)
    Survival of the Fittest x 6 (10 points each)
    Food Chain x 4 (5 points each)
    Call of the Herd x 4 (11 points each)
    Grim Lavamancer x4 (10 points each)
    Akroma Angel of Wrath x 2 (15 points each)

Prize Support based on 40-60 Participants
    1st Prize – 300 points
    (Possible prizes include)
    -90 Booster Packs of any type 2 set the store carries
    -Library of Alexandria + Timetwister + Volcanic Island
    -Timetwister + 51 boosters packs
    -Library of Alexandria + 51 booster packs
    -4 Underground Sea + 4 Tundra + Sea Drake + Flooded Strand
    -$260 in cash.

2nd Prize – 180 points
    - 60 Booster Packs from any type 2 sets the store carries
    - Timetwister or LOA + 17 booster packs
    - Library of Alexandria
    - 2 Scrubland + 4 Sea Drakes + 1 Italian Reset
    - $160 in cash

3rd/4th Prize – 90 points
    - 34 Booster Packs from any type 2 sets the store carries
    - 4 Flooded Stand + 2 Tropical Islands
    - 6 Force of Wills
    - $80 in cash

5th – 8th Prize – 35 points
    - 17 Booster Packs from any type 2 sets the store carries
    - $30 in cash

9th-16th Prize – 6 Booster Packs from any type 2 set the store carries

Prize Support based on 61-80 Participants
    1st Prize – 510 points or $420 in cash.

2nd Prize – 270 points or $220 in cash

3rd/4th Prize – 150 points or $130 in cash

5th-8th Prize – 60 points or $50 in cash

9th Prize – 16th prize - 9 Booster Packs from any type 2 set the store carries

Prize Support based on 81+ Participants
    1st Prize – 630 points or $530 in cash.

2nd Prize – 360 points or $300 in cash

3rd/4th Prize – 210 points or $180 in cash

5th-8th Prize – 100 points or $85 in cash

9th Prize – 16th prize - 12 Booster Packs from any type 2 set the store carries

Round by Round Rafflee – Prizes TBD

If we have 90 or more people, at the end of round 3 we will be taking sign ups for a FREE tournament for a playset of 4 revised Savannah. The tournament will require you to use the same deck used in the main event(to make life infinitely freakin' easier) and to ensure speedy signups and send off.

Day 1 - Magic Trivia(FREE and with PRIZES) will be held for all interested participants after the top 8 starts.

Day 2 - Magic Scattegories(FREE and with PRIZES) will be held for all interested participants after the top 8 starts.

Questions, comments, concerns? Please share them all here.

Hope to make TML Open 2 even more of a success than TML Open 1.

Ray
    Last edited by Iamfishman; 03-02-2007 at 12:15 AM.

Re: TML Open 2(Two Day Extravaganza) March 3,4, 2007

Replying to my own thread to emphasize:

Please discuss the prize strucutre pros and cons. This is the first time I am doing this and it can certainly be adjusted.

Sep 2005
    Buffalo

So does this mean 1 2-day tournament or 2 1-day tournaments?

What about the Mana Leak Open playmats.
    The return of a Legend(in his own words)

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

I love you ray.

Any prize structure that rewards the whole top 8 is good. As long as it's distrubuted better than the SCG payout, I think it will be great!

I noticed there was no nod to the people who sanctioned the Tournament. That would be ........oh yeah Dragon's Lair.
    Thanks for the sanctioning
    The return of a Legend(in his own words)

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

I actually like the idea that you can pick your own prizes. It makes splitting up the finals easier by a long shot. On that note, I'll try to get you info on picking up some more prize fodder ASAP.

I'm going to make every effort to be at this event, but right now, it's a little premature to guarantee it.

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

This may be the most awesome prize structure concept in the history of Magic....no one can complain about what they get nor will attendance drop because some person 'doesn't want what's offered'. And Top 16 gets some gravy as well, which encourages those of us who aren't Legacy titans, which is important. The other question remains, however, is this a 1 day tournament spread over 2 days or 2x1 day (awesome) tournaments?
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Clearing confusion, there will be two separate tournaments, one on day 1, another on day 2.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Re: TML Open 2 (Two Day Extravaganza) March 3,4, 2007

Through its powers of pure awesomeness, this thread has stickied itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

EPIC Eater
    Feb 2005
    Syracuse, NY

<understatement>
    This looks great.
    </understatement>
    The Jim Abides.

Bryant Cook

Are you going to be giving the hotel discount again? Like you did for TMDO X?

EPIC Eater
    Feb 2005
    Syracuse, NY

Question:
    Could a person save their points from day one and see if they win more points day two, and combine their points from the two days and get even better prizes than they would each day separately? Like if you got 2nd place day one and 3rd/4th place day two, you could then combine your points to get the same prize as if you had gotten 1st one of the days. does that work?

It's not like this would happen to me, but the answer might be relevant for some people.
    The Jim Abides.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

It's stuff like this that makes me sorry I ever left the Northeast...

This is awesome.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

I don't think anyone is going to have any problems whatsoever with the prize support (although I will say you should have some type of reservations put on the "I will get it on eBay and mail it to you if it's not in my prize bank" for any joker that takes first both days and says he/she wants a Splendid Genesis or some such).

Seeing as how almost everything (in terms of entry fees) is coming back out as prizes either in cash or cards, I think you're golden.

Obviously you'll want the extra Sea Drakes, Resets, etc to feel comfortable, but I think all in all you should be fine. If someone wants some obscure card (say Chains of Mephistopheles) that neither you nor the store has, they do have the option of letting you get it on eBay for them.

Things I think people would be interested in (taken with a grain of salt):

Grim Tutor (Vintage players)
    Imperial Seal (Vintage players)
    Workshop (Vintage players)
    Bazaar (Vintage players)

The Abyss/Moat (for the nostalgic player?)
    Power Artifact (for the nostalgic player?)
    Juzam (for the nostalgic player?)

Sea Drake (obviously just get more)
    Psionic Blast
    Chains of Mephistopheles
    A huge pile of smaller rares (I could see someone coming in somewhere between 2nd and 4th and saying they want a mono-red Goblin deck, or an assortment of seemingly random cards to fill in holes in the decks they currently are building)

Tabernacle of Pendrell Vale (for the player that wants to put together 43Land.dec but doesn't have access to Legends/The Dark)
    Maze of Ith (for the player that wants to put together 43Land.dec but doesn't have access to Legends/The Dark)

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

I just realized what I want to play for...BETA DUALS!!!

Plays whatever whenever, and fails anyway
    May 2006

The fact that I'm going to have to miss out on this one infuriates me to no end. Oh well, the prize structure is absolutely awesome and should be applauded (applauds) and I really hope this event is a success.

Jul 2006
    West Springfield Ma

I'm sure a group of us from Springfield Ma, will be in attendance and it will be a great time. I love the way you will be doing prizes.

Please read my signature.

Jul 2004

From a theoretical perspective, would it be possible to choose from other formats? For example, Shocklands and such would be a worthwhile investment for the Type 2 player but worthless to a Legacy player. Since my deck is pretty much done and I enjoy playing other formats, would I be able to buy T2 rares at the point to dollar amount ratio? Also, what do you have in the way of Shineys. I love me some Shineys. Foil/Pimp stuff works well for me as some of the stuff on that list wouldn't be as useful for someone like me. :)
    For the foreseeable future, expect to see less of me. I've lost my internet connection, and so I'll only be able to get on by siphoning free Wi-Fi from the surrounding areas. Which isn't always consistent.

Plus, the guy that I used to leech off of has now instituted password protection. This means that I effectively do not have internet at home. :(

Quote Originally Posted by legacyplayer0 View Post
    So does this mean 1 2-day tournament or 2 1-day tournaments?
    This event will be two completely seperate one day events.

Those are in the works. If I am unable to get them going for this event, they will definitely be at the next. Chance of them for this event: 70%.

I noticed there was no nod to the people who sanctioned the Tournament. That would be ........oh yeah Dragon's Lair.
    Thanks for the sanctioning
    I feel quite red. A huge thanks to Kevin, Bill and the Dragon's Lair in West Springfield for their continued support and help in sanctioning.

I actually like the idea that you can pick your own prizes. It makes splitting up the finals easier by a long shot. On that note, I'll try to get you info on picking up some more prize fodder ASAP.

I'm going to make every effort to be at this event, but right now, it's a little premature to guarantee it.
    Thanks for your help(what he is refering to is my request for people who are selling Legacy-type prizes that I could obtain directly from the community instead of having to go through ebay...if you know someone...shoot me a pm) and hope you can make it. A Legacy event is just not the same without you.

This may be the most awesome prize structure concept in the history of Magic....no one can complain about what they get nor will attendance drop because some person 'doesn't want what's offered'. And Top 16 gets some gravy as well, which encourages those of us who aren't Legacy titans, which is important.
    Very glad to hear. I was worried people might be hesitant of this structure. In the event that I must get your prize from ebay, Mr Nightmare will tell you that I have done this in the past, quite effectively.

Through its powers of pure awesomeness, this thread has stickied itself.
    Eeeeww, now its all covered in...well...sticky stuff.

Question:
    Could a person save their points from day one and see if they win more points day two, and combine their points from the two days and get even better prizes than they would each day separately? Like if you got 2nd place day one and 3rd/4th place day two, you could then combine your points to get the same prize as if you had gotten 1st one of the days. does that work?

It's not like this would happen to me, but the answer might be relevant for some people.
    Sure can. This is totally allowed. I will keep good records. The one thing that can't be done though is carrying points for TML OPEN 2 until TML OPEN 3.

Are you going to be giving the hotel discount again? Like you did for TMDO X?
    Hoping to. Going to call the hotel this week.

From a theoretical perspective, would it be possible to choose from other formats? For example, Shocklands and such would be a worthwhile investment for the Type 2 player but worthless to a Legacy player. Since my deck is pretty much done and I enjoy playing other formats, would I be able to buy T2 rares at the point to dollar amount ratio? Also, what do you have in the way of Shineys. I love me some Shineys. Foil/Pimp stuff works well for me as some of the stuff on that list wouldn't be as useful for someone like me. :)
    I don't have a lot of type two stuff, but what I might be able to do is make a point-store credit conversion(I'll have to talk to the store owner about this). This might allow you to go on a kinda "type 2 shopping spree". :)

Thread Information