Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Article] Continued Explorations of Tier 1.5

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

[Article] Continued Explorations of Tier 1.5

Link.

In this article, Dan surveys 4-color Landstill and the Ill-Gotten Gains-based storm combo deck "IGGy Pop" in Legacy, concluding with an interview with the inventor of Angel Stompy, Patrick Maeder, better known around the Internet as GodzillA.
    For my next article, I'd like to run a “Legacy Mail Bag” piece, similar to Jeroen Remie's excellent column. So, if you have any questions about Legacy decks, the format as a whole, its future, etc., drop me a line at bardo49@yahoo.com and I'll gladly answer them or will find someone who can.

Bryant Cook

Re: [Article] Continued Explorations of Tier 1.5

Really good read.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

I agree. I really liked it.

And hopefully after GP Columbus there will be enough results to get MeatHooks into one of these articles. I would definitely peg it in the Tier 1.5

But maybe I'm just biased .
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Like I said over at the SCG forums; That new deck Zilla made is awesome. 4 Angels, 4 Cataclysms, and a 2nd color. Oh, it's so intense!

Anyways, I love the article. You should talk about the other decks besides Meathooks, like Faerie Stompy as well as your take on WUb Fish. Metagame decks would also be cool to talk about too!
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Insert Clever Adjetives Here
    Jun 2006
    Austin Texas

Awesome job, I think it was just what alot of us wanted to read.
    The Firebrothers
    Scrubbing out of tournements since 2005.

"Large in the margin
    my drama unfolds behind closed doors...."

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Anti~American4621 View Post
    Anyways, I love the article. You should talk about the other decks besides Meathooks, like Faerie Stompy as well as your take on WUb Fish. Metagame decks would also be cool to talk about too!
    I would like to see similar write-ups too, but there are simply too many tier 1.5 decks in Legacy. Slivers, TES, FStompy, RedDeath, Terrageddon, etc. etc. etc.

Great piece. The first Legacy Article I have read in a very long time.

First, I want to call BullSHit on the interview. There is no way Zilla was that polite while addressing anyone. Are you sure he didn't try to stab you or touch you in a bad place?

Second, why wasn't I interviewd about BurningTog? The premier AggroControl Deck of the format? BAH! I hope my V-Day card to you, Bardo, gets lost in the mail.

Third, I'm really pleased to see some weekly attention to the format. The pieces so far seem to be a little more professional or official than other earlier articles. I think that they add a touch of seriousness to our oft overlooked format.

Lastly, I'm excited about that mail-bag article coming up. I'd really like to think of a good question to send in, but I'm level 67 and looking to hit 70 soon. Stupid conflicting hobbies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Great read.

Keep up the good work.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Please read my signature.

Jul 2004

Here's a quick mail in question. Where's all the me? Seriously, all I'm reading is, 'blah, blah, blah, something about decks that aren't Solidarity.' If you could just change some of the 'blah' into 'David Gearhart is awesome', these articles would be a much more enjoyable read. Also, you're a big jerk, now that you've tipped the damn midget, he expects it every time. Jeez, beg much?

And when did freshly orphaned baby blood get so damn expensive? Mmm, with a twist of lemon, delicious. Also, damn expensive. Seriously Zilla, look into that.
    For the foreseeable future, expect to see less of me. I've lost my internet connection, and so I'll only be able to get on by siphoning free Wi-Fi from the surrounding areas. Which isn't always consistent.

Plus, the guy that I used to leech off of has now instituted password protection. This means that I effectively do not have internet at home. :(

Bryant Cook

Got ego?

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

First off, thanks for the positive feedback.

I started this article in November and it was the supposed to be the last in a three part overview series for the format. Then I spent a lot of time on the Goblins/Thresh articles with Machinus and then SCG pulled the rug from under us when they said they weren't accepting unsolicited articles. So, after three months, it's good to see the thing up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti_American
    You should talk about the other decks besides Meathooks, like Faerie Stompy as well as your take on WUb Fish.
    I covered Faerie Stompy, UWB Fish ("HanniFish") and B/W Confidant in Part 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten
    I would like to see similar write-ups too, but there are simply too many tier 1.5 decks in Legacy. Slivers, TES, FStompy, RedDeath, Terrageddon, etc. etc. etc.
    For these articles I was looking at what was T8'ing and covering those decks before I went any deeper. Slivers, TES, Red Death and Terrageddon have not put in any T8s in 50+ player US tournaments that I know of. I figured I'd start with the big and popular stuff and work from there.

Re: Red Death, as I mentioned in the article, I almost covered it in place of AS, but I had just covered B/w in the previous article and wanted something entirely different. And I know they're two totally different decks, but I've wanted to do something about AS for a while now.

First, I want to call BullSHit on the interview. There is no way Zilla was that polite while addressing anyone. Are you sure he didn't try to stab you or touch you in a bad place?
    Pat's a total fucking pussy with me. He just talks like a giant mutant dinosaur when he has the anonymous security of the Internet. :)

Second, why wasn't I interviewd about BurningTog? The premier AggroControl Deck of the format? BAH! I hope my V-Day card to you, Bardo, gets lost in the mail.

Lastly, I'm excited about that mail-bag article coming up.
    Please send your questions in! I have a fallback article I'm working on in case it goes bust, but I've wanted to write a mail-bag article for a while. 'Should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep6er
    Also, you're a big jerk, now that you've tipped the damn midget, he expects it every time.
    His mom's in the hospital and his brother just checked into rehab. Cut the guy some slack.

Please read my signature.

Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Got ego?
    Obviously not enough if you don't know that I'm a raving egomaniac. Also, amazing. That one too.
    For the foreseeable future, expect to see less of me. I've lost my internet connection, and so I'll only be able to get on by siphoning free Wi-Fi from the surrounding areas. Which isn't always consistent.

Plus, the guy that I used to leech off of has now instituted password protection. This means that I effectively do not have internet at home. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Deep6er View Post
    Here's a quick mail in question. Where's all the me? Seriously, all I'm reading is, 'blah, blah, blah, something about decks that aren't Solidarity.' If you could just change some of the 'blah' into 'David Gearhart is awesome', these articles would be a much more enjoyable read.
    You have no one to blame on that one but yourself. You're the fucktard that made a GOOD deck. You'd get much more T1.5 love if your deck sucked and you just whined for "something that isn't Goblins, Threshold or Iggy".
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Nice article Bardo! I feel kind of special that I was included (although I'm not sure what's up with the "as a Suggested deck" since I actually placed with it.) I was worried that all my GP tech was getting out, but it looks like Zilla and I are still poised to make a stunning comeback.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by LegoArmyMan
    I feel kind of special that I was included (although I'm not sure what's up with the "as a Suggested deck" since I actually placed with it.)
    I'm not sure how the whole deck sorting thingy works, but that happened to all of the lists I used in this article and they were all entries in the SCG deck database (maybe not IGGy?). If I had to guess, maybe it's because Craig has to point the deck sort thing to an entry in the database and that it's just easier to have it do the "suggested by" tag. For instance, in the beastly Advanced Search form in the SCG deck database there's a way to filter the "suggested" decks. Meh, I don't know. Nor do I know why I spent long dwelling on this....

In any case, I think the deck sort thing give the lists a sort of pseudo-professional veneer, with its graphs and shit like that, but I really don't like it. I like seeing the lands all in one place and don't like having to mentally organize snow-covered, basics, non-basics and legendary lands as four separate things. Nor do I give two shits if something is a sorcery or instant. (I mean, I do, but when not looking at deck lists.) Or if an artifact is legendary or not, especially, since I take a lot of care to organize the lists in my articles the way I want to see them, only to have them zapped by SCG. Ultimately, I think the deck thing dumbs things down. Ah well.

Instant Bacon
    Dec 2005
    MN, US

I agree that the SCG way of listing decks is retarded. Plz don't separate out 'Legendary' card types.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Very cool. Entertaining and factual all at once. And the mailbag is also a good idea.

Old School
    Jan 2004
    Rotterdam, NY otherwise known as the 1.5 Capital

Overall good article, it's good to see that someone is willing to put out something that doesn't say anything about the Big 3 and at least it gives insight to other decks in the format.

Love the Mailbag Idea... should be interesting to see what is sent into the bag.
    Mythic Rogue Deck Builder
    Team Freshly Baked Crayons
    Team Albany

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

At the very least, if they're going to separate Legendary, put it in the same place! I hate looking at Creatures, then Sorceries, then seeing some Artifacts, and then finally my Isamarus. That doesn't help anyone.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Love the Mailbag Idea... should be interesting to see what is sent into the bag.
    It's going to be as good as the questions I receive; so, if anyone has any, please pass them along to me. PMs, email, posts, whatever. Grazi.

At the very least, if they're going to separate Legendary, put it in the same place! I hate looking at Creatures, then Sorceries, then seeing some Artifacts, and then finally my Isamarus. That doesn't help anyone.
    Exactly. Not only does it add nothing valuable, it also adds unnecessary steps to analyse someone's deck.

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

Quote Originally Posted by Deep6er View Post
    Here's a quick mail in question. Where's all the me? Seriously, all I'm reading is, 'blah, blah, blah, something about decks that aren't Solidarity.' If you could just change some of the 'blah' into 'David Gearhart is awesome', these articles would be a much more enjoyable read. Also, you're a big jerk, now that you've tipped the damn midget, he expects it every time. Jeez, beg much?

And when did freshly orphaned baby blood get so damn expensive? Mmm, with a twist of lemon, delicious. Also, damn expensive. Seriously Zilla, look into that.
    Who the hell is David Gearhart?!?

Thread Information