Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Article] Continued Explorations of Tier 1.5

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Re: [Article] Continued Explorations of Tier 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    Isn't its lack of good finishes in Extended a pretty good measure of its likely success in Legacy?
    Yeah, you're right. After reviewing the last 19 Extended T8s from the beginning of this year, I found exactly one ETW Goblins list.

Not exactly impressive.

monkey
    Aug 2006
    Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I'm not entirely sure about this.
    Well, testing the veracity of that statement might make for a good article, no?
    info.ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Lego_Army_Man View Post
    Just check out the first place decklist from GP: Columbus. It'll say "Evn Tomeny" right next to it.
    I'll see you there with funkbrew.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    Well, testing the veracity of that statement might make for a good article, no?
    A good way to find out might be to write it yourself, instead of assuming people have nothing better to do than spend hours researching and writing your off the cuff statements into articles for your personal entertainment. Just a thought.

Factual Error from the article: Landstill smashed/smashes the every loving fuck out of Threshold. And even when Ports were added it was about 50/50. The deck got hated out because it was an East Coast deck and then people on the East Coast started playing Solidarity, which autowon. I'm not saying that 4cc Landstill isn't necessarily better than the old UW lists, but I think the fact that David Gearhart's amazing deck that's so awesome and he loves to see people mention him, Solidarity, isn't as prevalent on the West Coast (but should be because it's so incredibly awesome) has more to do with 4cc Landstil's success. Deed being less clunky than Wrath is, for one thing, extremely questionable. It's a little bit better in Goblins, but worse against Threshold where the only non-creature target to hit is, ironically, Pithing Needle.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    A good way to find out might be to write it yourself, instead of assuming people have nothing better to do than spend hours researching and writing your off the cuff statements into articles for your personal entertainment. Just a thought.
    To be fair, Bardo specifically asked people to suggest ideas for future articles. And SCG is no longer accepting open submissions. Your ignorant, belligerent commentary further supports the widely popular scientific theory that your head is comprised almost entirely of poop.

monkey
    Aug 2006
    Los Angeles

What Zilla said.
    info.ninja

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Yeah, you're right. After reviewing the last 19 Extended T8s from the beginning of this year, I found exactly one ETW Goblins list.

Not exactly impressive.
    Well adding Ancient Tomb and Goblin Lackey give the deck alot of the punch it was missing in extended. You need the 2 mana land to cast Fecundity and Seething Song a turn faster, and you need lackey in a fuckin goblin deck, seriously.

I think I'll have the balls here to say its the most under radar deck in the format that will eventually evolve into a common monster in legacy. People that play goblins (like me) are starting to get bored with vial goblins. Its power level is immense but people are learning ways to beat it and have started to attack it with pro red dudes or faster decks (Iggy). Once more legacy gob players look into warrens Im sure they'll take a liking to the combo win approach. I mean.. Why does Solidarity do so well? Its control//combo. Storm Goblins is aggro//combo. When solidarity or other combo decks cant combo off they cant win. When goblins cant combo off it just deals 20 with pile driver and friends. Not a bad back up plan.

Ive been putting alot of attention on the deck. You need to recognize the keepable hands and how to play them. Its not as simple as cast Rite of Flame into turn 2 Warchief, you need to determine each accelerations value staying in your hand for storm. You need to recognize a winning hand. Ive had many many more turn 3 kills with this deck than vial goblins. Vial gobs cant get a turn 3 without lackey connecting. Storm gobs can.

Nice article btw. I especially liked all the links to shit like Zvi's article on affinity and the one to archived angel stompy origins.
    Now playing real formats.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Regardless of what Zilla said, I'm not the guy to write about new combo decks anyway. It's like I'm missing a gene when it comes to building combo decks.

Factual Error from the article: Landstill smashed/smashes the every loving fuck out of Threshold. And even when Ports were added it was about 50/50. The deck got hated out because it was an East Coast deck and then people on the East Coast started playing Solidarity, which autowon.
    1) 50/50 is not smashing the fuck out of anything. 2) It's never been that tough of a match: Armageddon, Daze, Mongoose, Needle--certainly keep things from getting out of hand.

Deed being less clunky than Wrath is, for one thing, extremely questionable. It's a little bit better in Goblins, but worse against Threshold where the only non-creature target to hit is, ironically, Pithing Needle.
    And Stifle. I don't think I said Deed was any less "clunky" than Wrath--1BG is no better than 2WW--I said it was more flexible and powerful.

1) 50/50 is not smashing the fuck out of anything. 2) It's never been that tough of a match: Armageddon, Daze, Mongoose, Needle--certainly keep things from getting out of hand.
    I'm pretty sure he meant goblins, not threshold. Hence the reference to Rishadan Port.
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Thread Information