Thread: Running GAGG: 10th place

EPIC awesomeness
    Mar 2004
    Baldwinsville/Oswego, NY

Running GAGG: 10th place

So, I'm thinking Survival might just be a deck to be prepared for. It made top 4, and took 9th and 10th. My version is similar to Brushwagg's, but in a different color combination. Here's the list:
    Mana:
    3x Taiga
    3x Savannah
    3x Bayou
    3x Windswept Heath
    3x Wooded Foothills
    3x Forest
    1x Plains
    1x Rofellos
    4x BoP
    4x Vial
    3x Tinder Wall
    2x Werebear

engine:
    4x Survival
    1x Squee
    1x Anger
    1x Genesis
    3x Dark Confidant

disruption:
    3x STP
    3x Flametongue Kavu
    1x Boneshredder
    3x Cabal Therapy
    1x Keldon Vandals
    2x Eternal Witness
    1x Glowrider

Beats
    3x Loxodon Hierarch
    1x Deranged Hermit

SB:
    3x Engineered Plage
    3x Krosan Grip
    4x Mesmeric Fiend
    3x Duress
    2x Glowrider

Round 1:
    Dave Price ~RGBSA

This was kind of a scare for me, as this is essentially a mirror, with Dave being a much more experienced survival player.

I don't remember the exact details, but Dave can probably fill these in, but I basically got Survival game 1 when he didn't.

Game 2 he mulls to 5, I keep a no survival 7 card hand, and beat him cuz his 5 didn't have it either.

1-0

Round 2:
    Scott ~Duck Hunt

Game 1~ It takes a very long time, and he proceeds to win with Haunting Echoes.

Game 2~ We are short on time, and I am essentially playing to draw the match now. I make a mistake by not survivaling for anger when I had the chance, and pay for it at the end of the game by not having enough mana to get it and the other beater I needed. It was really close, but my vial in Vandals and STP your Factories plan didn't work when he gained 3 life, leaving him at 3.

1-1

Round 3:
    Birdman ~...birds... could ya guess?

Game 1: He gets an early Soulcatcher's Aerie, has 5 birds in play due to Battlescreech. I swing in with 2 big guys, he chumps to pump his other birds up, but I swords 2 of them in response. I search for deranged hermit and smash face

Game 2: I use flametongue early and boneshredder late to kill birds and then again search for hermit to alpha strike him. Engineered Plague also helps the cause.

2-1

Round 4:
    Goblins

Game 1: He doesn't go Lackey-win, so I go survival win. Basically he didn't have the god hand and my tinderwalls and little guys slowed him down enough to win the game.

Game 2: He drops lackey turn 1, swings and drops ringleader, my turn 2 I drop survival hoping he disenchants it. next turn he disenchants survival and puts matron in with lackey, finding SGC. My 3rd turn I drop E. Plague, leaving him with a 1/1 ringleader. I drop E. Plague #2 a few turns later and then win off of my guys being castable.

3-1

Round 5:
    Diablis ~EATS
    This blows because he's my teammate and we have to play it out. I lose game 1 horribly cuz he does dumb things with survival.

Game 2: We both board in Mesmeric Fiend, and I board in Krosan Grip. I get an early survival, he doesn't, I win the game off of early advantage, even though he gets survival midgame.

Game 3: I take E. Witness with an early fiend, turns out to be game-winning later on. I get Survival before him, eat his hand, and win a very long game, keeping the advantage over him the whole way.

4-1

Round 6:
    Phil Stolze ~3 color AS
    We decide we can't ID, so we play it out.
    Game 1: He wins the roll and plays duress, whiffing, but seeing 2 FTK, he goes turn 2 MM on FTK. I have vial out, but he morphs angel With SoFI in play, and eventually she takes me out.

Game 2: I keep a one lander, dropping birds turn 1. He goes plains, Chrome Mox on BS, MM on Flametongue. I drop turn 2 Survival with no land drop. He drops turn 3 Needle naming survival. I lose soon after, while drawing 2 more survivals.

4-2

I think I did reasonably well for playing a deck that I had no actual tournament experience with. It's a very good build in my opinion, and has some good matchups that survival has traditionally not had. thanx for reading!
    EPIC Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9 View Post
    I personally like spell snare against 2 cc spells, but it really isn't good against spells that aren't 2 cc. With engineered explosives, it is a good card to have against non-land permanents with converted mana cost equal to what you set the explosives to, but it doesn't hit those that have differing cc. Plus, engineered explosives has sunburst.
    -My hero

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Agent View Post
    For some odd reason, I find shackles to be superb against creature oriented decks. Of course, the logic behind it is the sooner you can play and activate shackles the better. Although, shackles definitely has it's late game uses as well. It basically counts as a threat and a removal spell simultaneously which is relevant against "not quite shroud" creatures. Also, you should really be running a playset of engineered plagues against merfolks. They can dismantle tribal decks so run more of them.
    -I don't think this one was a joke...

Re: Running GAGG: 10th place

Not as long as mine. You ever think about Rec-Sur? I could lend you the nightmares

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Re: Running GAGG: 10th place

Game 2: We both board in Mesmeric Fiend, and I board in Krosan Grip. I get an early survival, he doesn't, I win the game off of early advantage, even though he gets survival midgame.

Game 3: I take E. Witness with an early fiend, turns out to be game-winning later on. I get Survival before him, eat his hand, and win a very long game, keeping the advantage over him the whole way.
    Just to point out a couple corrections, but I never had a Survival in game 2, and you didn't mention that I mulled to 5 in game 3. There was actually a point in game 3 where I thought I was going to win, but then realized you had another FTK in your deck.

But all in all good job, despite not making top8 and making me not top8.

Thread Information