Thread: [Discussion] TES vs. IGGy Pop - Which deck is stronger?

Threaded View

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Re: [Deck] Iggy Pop

I'm curious as to what showings IGG has had recently, when not piloted by Mike Bomholt. I'm definately not claiming a "no one not named Gearhart can play Solidarity," but the question is a relevant one. Here's how I see the deck:

- You cannot win through your worst matchups (Thresh, Fish) without protection from another color.
    - There is some debate as to what color to splash, those being white (Orim's chant) or green (Xantid Swarm).
    - Either way, you have a difficult time winning through effects such as Tormod's Crypt and Meddling Mage.
    - The answers for those cards are unweildy in any of the colors above.

Now, that being said (and little of it is debateable, although I'm sure many people will debate it anyway), The benefits of going 5 color are here:

- Access to red provides you with the following:
    • A third Ritual effect in Rite of Flame
    • Burning Wish, for access to outs and win conditions in game 1. (Effectively 4 more Tutors)
    • Shattering Spree, an uncounterable out to Chalice
    • Empty the Warrens, an extremely good card vs. your worst matchups, and a natural foil to Meddling Mage

At the cost of manabase stability. Note that this is really a non-issue, since your manabase moves toward a less resiliant one by including more duals for Chant/Swarm.

Moving toward a TES build rather than IGG-based provides:
    - Less reliance on the graveyard. (you can still use it, but it isn't necessary)
    - The number 10 is no longer the goal (Tendrils isn't your only win)
    - Flexible sideboarding options (the best 5 colors can offer)
    - Protection (MD Xantid)

I mean, I don't really understand the argument anymore. The benefits of moving to 5 color, getting rid of the yard dependancy, and gaining EtW seem overwhelming to me. They most certainly outweigh the few costs - No fetches for Brainstorm and Wasteland vulnerability. What am I not seeing?
    Last edited by Nightmare; 02-23-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Thread Information